Ogletree traded to the Giants

Dr LBC

Wow, I'm really disappointed about this move today. Just like how I felt about Quinn also, but I do understand why we did trade him. Alec will be an perfect fit in the Giants Defense. I really hope that we get some very nice replacements through free agency and the draft.

Before getting into my opinion on this, just have to say that I was SHOCKED at this news. I woke up from a nap to a message from a buddy of mine who's a Giants fan (I live in NY). I couldn't believe or understand it since they just have him an extension during the season. 

Onto my thoughts on it all: I like it. Tree is a fiery leader, a respected locker room presence and a playmaker. But he's also been a liability at times and someone who's made us all crazy. Not to mention that he was not a fit for this defense. 

With Barron and Tree both being undersized LB's, it was getting more am more evident that we would move on from one of them. With Alec just signing his extension, we obviously all expected Barron to be the odd man out. Me, personally...I thought Barron was the better player throughout the year and was the one I'd rather keep anyway. So this works out. Though we clearly still need a run stopper next to him. 

One issue I have with the trade is the compensation. Rather than a 4th and yet ANOTHER 6th rounder, I'd have much preferred a 3rd rounder, even if it meant giving up one of our 6th rounders. 

The biggest problem this trade creates is a drop in morale of our players--something that CANNOT be understated. Tree was a well respected and liked member of this team--not to mention a two time captain. Worst of all, it sends a bad message to our players. Trading a guy away months after signing him to a long term extension has to leave a bad taste with the players (even if we were all upset at the time of the extension).

One thing is for sure--something a few of you have pointed out already--and that's that we're benefitting from freeing up considerable cap space and loading up on draft picks. It does seem like they're gearing up to lock down our own priority players and maybe even lining up for a few splash FA signings. Also, they could be looking to make some trade ups in the draft (again, as a few of you have already pointed out). Though I'd much rather them make a trade into the second round as opposed to them trading up in the first round. 

Again, just wow. This team is making some serious moves. This defense (and LB corp especially) is going to look very different. 

Now that the dust has settled and you read more info/stats, you feel more comfortable with it. Only thing that still doesn't make ANY sense is the extension. However, we must look forward. So what does it all mean? Needs at OLB (1), ILB(2 assuming Barron is gone), NT, CB. So that is 5 new starters on defense assuming we resign NRC.

NT-Dontarie Poe FA or Tim Settle Draft

ILB- Avery WIlliamson FA, Todd Davis FA, Zach Brown FA, Bowman FA, Rashad Evans Draft, Leight Vander Esch Draft,

OLB- Trent Murphy FA, Pernell McPhee FA, Harold Landry Draft, Marcus Davenport Draft.

CB- Trumaine Johnson FA,Aqib Talib FA,  Richard Sherman soon to be FA,  Brashaun Breeland FA, Josh Jackson Draft

I think with a combination of these guys can be had with our Cap Space and draft capitol. I'm sure there are late round prospects I didn't mention and I'm not fully aware of. But I expect a very, very active FA. And I also expect Sammy to be resigned after trading Ogletree.

13 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Ok so the Rams have 10 total draft picks (8 on day 3). How much cap space the Rams have now?

One has to think now the Rams will resign Watkins, Tru, and NRC. At worst they resign Watkins and NRC. 

Projected to be at 50mil after Tavon Austin doomsday.

14 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Ok so the Rams have 10 total draft picks (8 on day 3). How much cap space the Rams have now?

One has to think now the Rams will resign Watkins, Tru, and NRC. At worst they resign Watkins and NRC. 

Unfortunately, I still think Tru is as good as gone. 

I think Watkins is 50/50. As much as I'd like to have him back, it's not worth getting into a bidding war over him IMO. 

Theres no reason this team shouldn't re sign NRC. Would be a huge disappointment if they let him slip away. Talented slot corner who is still plenty young and comes at a great value. 

1 minute ago, chris00cm said:

Projected to be at 50mil after Tavon Austin doomsday.

10 of which is dedicated to draft picks. So roughly 40. But i do not know if that counts Joyners tag. I imagine it doesn't. Even if it doesn't and we work out a long term deal he will likely get 11 mil a year so figure we have 29 mil to spend willy nilly. Need to resign NRC, i say 5 mil annually. so 24 mil. If we sign Sammy long term I would guess 11-12 mil annually. So 12 million of actual disposable cap.

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Now that the dust has settled and you read more info/stats, you feel more comfortable with it. Only thing that still doesn't make ANY sense is the extension. However, we must look forward. So what does it all mean? Needs at OLB (1), ILB(2 assuming Barron is gone), NT, CB. So that is 5 new starters on defense assuming we resign NRC.

NT-Dontarie Poe FA or Tim Settle Draft

ILB- Avery WIlliamson FA, Todd Davis FA, Zach Brown FA, Bowman FA, Rashad Evans Draft, Leight Vander Esch Draft,

OLB- Trent Murphy FA, Pernell McPhee FA, Harold Landry Draft, Marcus Davenport Draft.

CB- Trumaine Johnson FA,Aqib Talib FA,  Richard Sherman soon to be FA,  Brashaun Breeland FA, Josh Jackson Draft

I think with a combination of these guys can be had with our Cap Space and draft capitol. I'm sure there are late round prospects I didn't mention and I'm not fully aware of. But I expect a very, very active FA. And I also expect Sammy to be resigned after trading Ogletree.

Rashad Evans is leaving the UFC for the NFL? What's next, Lebron going to Pittsburgh?  ;)

Good list though. I would add Malcolm Butler and Derrick Johnson. Landing Poe would be awesome!

The good thing is I’ve heard many people say this draft has tons of value in day 2 and 3. That’s why so many teams are stockpiling picks. I’m glad the Rams have caught on. The only thing they don’t have is a 2nd round pick but don’t be shocked if they moved down and picked up an extra 2nd. Heck if they wanted to move up a few spots if they see someone on the board that they want to make sure they get they have enough day 3 picks to package a move up. So FA/draft just got more interesting.

As of today the defense is TBD but at least we see the organization trying to makeover the defense with replacing the weakest part on our defense which is the linebackers because they didn’t fit the scheme for guys who will actually fit the scheme. Unless you are an exceptional talent like Donald, the NFL is about scheme fit. Unfortunately Quinn and Tree didn’t fit Wade scheme. So there talents wasn’t maximized based on the money they were making. 

21 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

After the Quinn and Ogletree trades, Joyner tag, and Austin release, puts us about ~46 mil.

Austin release would put us just over $50 million. Barron cut would save another $7 million a trade by the 16th would make that another $9 million.

Archived