Tight End 5 $3,853,854 2.63% 27
Special Teams 4 $9,051,551 6.19% 2
Secondary 15 $33,589,244 22.95% 9
Running Back 4 $6,069,118 4.15% 18
Quarterback 3 $9,283,593 6.34% 27
Offensive Line 9 $25,545,559 17.46% 24
Linebacker 7 $13,881,306 9.49% 25
Defensive Line 7 $23,950,195 16.37% 18

DETROIT LIONS                                                                                                                              

Position
Players
Cap Dollars
% of Cap
NFL Rank
Quarterback 3 $27,610,000 16.21% 2
Running Back 6 $9,590,512 5.63% 5
Wide Receiver 8 $22,918,956 13.46% 13
Tight End 4 $4,255,784 2.50% 26
Offensive Line 11 $26,151,595 15.35% 23
Defensive Line 12 $33,819,200 19.86% 8
Linebacker 8 $12,412,716 7.29% 31
Secondary 14 $29,645,802 17.41% 14
Special Teams 3 $6,845,000 4.02% 5

(STATS FROM SPOTRACT)The bolded portions are the ones that Detroit has a higher cap hit than LA. QB is huge. We are near the top of the league for cap hit at QB and they're near the bottom at one of the highest paid positions. 16.21% of cap vs 6.19% of cap is a considerable difference. We have a decent amount of money invested in our passing game. Even after losing Ebron our TE cap hit is still a bit higher. We're near even on LB and OL. Suh probably pushes their DL just over us but not by a ton. We have a ton of money invested in the RB spot and we aren't getting the production out of it.                                                                                                                          

All your showing me is the money's not being used right lol

To know we have that kind of money on the dl and this is what we have is depressing..rb too

2 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Quinn said himself he wants to gain picks..is a 2nd that big? Didn't they get back a 4th too..so by your line of thinking they didn't lose a draft pick this yr (maybe a low 20!9) either way not that hard to get back

I can't think of a bad trade we had in the past just the players taken

We got our 7th round pick back from the trade where we acquired Jonathan Banks. We would have had 5 picks and now have 6.

Bob Quinn came in late for the 2016 draft. His first REAL draft with a fully vested off-season was 2017. We've had two solid drafts overall.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

We got our 7th round pick back from the trade where we acquired Jonathan Banks. We would have had 5 picks and now have 6.

Bob Quinn came in late for the 2016 draft. His first REAL draft with a fully vested off-season was 2017. We've had two solid drafts overall.

It looks solid bc he drafts needs.. so far draft wise it's avg. He imo has been taking guys to early I really wanna see how he plays this draft

2 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

To know we have that kind of money on the dl and this is what we have is depressing..rb too

Assuming this is relatively up to date, $17M of that is Ansah's franchise tag. Suh's $14M wasn't showing in their contract list. That would bump them to $37M for DL. This is with Suh on a 1 year deal and Donald being on his rookie contract.

You're not totally off though. We aren't getting the production we should be from the RB's for the money.

The Lions were consistently bad in an era before the rookie cap. We were saddled with several bad contracts due to highly picked players who cost a lot from the start and may or may not have panned out. The Rams have been able to rebuild the roster and taking advantage of good selections at reasonable contracts.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, Karnage84 said:
LOS ANGELES RAMS
Position
Players
Cap Dollars
% of Cap
NFL Rank
Wide Receiver 7 $16,703,397 11.41% 22
Tight End 5 $3,853,854 2.63% 27
Special Teams 4 $9,051,551 6.19% 2
Secondary 15 $33,589,244 22.95% 9
Running Back 4 $6,069,118 4.15% 18
Quarterback 3 $9,283,593 6.34% 27
Offensive Line 9 $25,545,559 17.46% 24
Linebacker 7 $13,881,306 9.49% 25
Defensive Line 7 $23,950,195 16.37% 18

DETROIT LIONS                                                                                                                              

Position
Players
Cap Dollars
% of Cap
NFL Rank
Quarterback 3 $27,610,000 16.21% 2
Running Back 6 $9,590,512 5.63% 5
Wide Receiver 8 $22,918,956 13.46% 13
Tight End 4 $4,255,784 2.50% 26
Offensive Line 11 $26,151,595 15.35% 23
Defensive Line 12 $33,819,200 19.86% 8
Linebacker 8 $12,412,716 7.29% 31
Secondary 14 $29,645,802 17.41% 14
Special Teams 3 $6,845,000 4.02% 5

(STATS FROM SPOTRACT)The bolded portions are the ones that Detroit has a higher cap hit than LA. QB is huge. We are near the top of the league for cap hit at QB and they're near the bottom at one of the highest paid positions. 16.21% of cap vs 6.19% of cap is a considerable difference. We have a decent amount of money invested in our passing game. Even after losing Ebron our TE cap hit is still a bit higher. We're near even on LB and OL. Suh probably pushes their DL just over us but not by a ton. We have a ton of money invested in the RB spot and we aren't getting the production out of it.                                                                                                                          

well the rams have Goff on the 2nd year of a rookie contract and I think Gurley is at the 4th yr of a rookie deal. after those 2 get extended and Donald gets extended whenever that is there cap will prob be worse then ours.

G-men want 2 1st round picks for beckham, and he wants an extension before he touches the field. I heard he wants to be the highest paid player regardless of position

26 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

well the rams have Goff on the 2nd year of a rookie contract and I think Gurley is at the 4th yr of a rookie deal. after those 2 get extended and Donald gets extended whenever that is there cap will prob be worse then ours.

G-men want 2 1st round picks for beckham, and he wants an extension before he touches the field. I heard he wants to be the highest paid player regardless of position

Yup - exactly my point. They're going all in while they can. Peters is on a rookie deal too.

I would trade OBJ too if I could get 2 1sts + and not have to take on a $26M + contract.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, Rockcity2 said:

When you take out the franchise tag for Ziggy, we have 11 guys making a total of $15mil, which sounds about right for our production meanwhile they have 7 guys making 23M. 

RB is weird, I don't get how we have that much tied up at RB compared to them.  I figured Gurley would be making that alone by this point. 

Overall its not real fair to compare when the teams are at very different spots.  They have a QB on a rookie contract, we never had that since we drafted Stafford in the no rookie scale era.  Same with RB and DL.  Gurley and Donald are still on cheap deals comparatively to their production.  The Rams have a year or two before they are hurting.  They will need to resign Donald, Gurley, and Goff.  They also will have to pay Peters, Suh is on a 1 year deal, and Talib is aging/expensive.  They will be fun to watch this year for sure, but will be interesting to see how it all shakes out, especially if they make a move for OBJ as it is being reported.

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

When you take out the franchise tag for Ziggy, we have 11 guys making a total of $15mil, which sounds about right for our production meanwhile they have 7 guys making 23M. 

RB is weird, I don't get how we have that much tied up at RB compared to them.  I figured Gurley would be making that alone by this point. 

Overall its not real fair to compare when the teams are at very different spots.  They have a QB on a rookie contract, we never had that since we drafted Stafford in the no rookie scale era.  Same with RB and DL.  Gurley and Donald are still on cheap deals comparatively to their production.  The Rams have a year or two before they are hurting.  They will need to resign Donald, Gurley, and Goff.  They also will have to pay Peters, Suh is on a 1 year deal, and Talib is aging/expensive.  They will be fun to watch this year for sure, but will be interesting to see how it all shakes out, especially if they make a move for OBJ as it is being reported.

This is basically what I was trying to demonstrate to @Rockcity2. They're going all in while they can and the whole thing is going to get blown up in 2 years when guys are moving into their 2nd contracts. The Lions have not been able to be in this position because of their poor history and getting tons of high picks prior to the rookie wage cap.

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This is basically what I was trying to demonstrate to @Rockcity2. They're going all in while they can and the whole thing is going to get blown up in 2 years when guys are moving into their 2nd contracts. The Lions have not been able to be in this position because of their poor history and getting tons of high picks prior to the rookie wage cap.

Ya I get all that. What did I say that made you think I wanna break the bank

Couple trades?

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Spotrac - Cap Hit for 2018

Riddick - $4.1M

Blount - $2M

Ameer - $1.3M

Zenner - $925,000

Dwayne - $648,000

TOTAL = $8.97M Addressed to RB from these guys alone.

A 2nd round rookie is going to come in with a cap hit of about $1.0. They'd replace Abdullah or Zenner financially.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Just floating this idea out there... I wonder if the Lions are talking up Abdullah so much because they're looking at trading Riddick (who has a hefty $4.1M cap hit).

I wonder if the G-men would trade OBJ for both Houston's picks that the browns own 4 & 35 and I believe. maybe the browns throw in a 4th or something in next years draft... would you do that if you were either team? picks 4,35 and 4th next year for obj. and then the browns sign him to an extension( no clue what kind of contract he'd get )

12 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

I wonder if the G-men would trade OBJ for both Houston's picks that the browns own 4 & 35 and I believe. maybe the browns throw in a 4th or something in next years draft... would you do that if you were either team? picks 4,35 and 4th next year for obj. and then the browns sign him to an extension( no clue what kind of contract he'd get )

I don't know if I would do it but they have the ammunition to do it while somewhat of a need. They just went 0-16. You add OBJ to Jarvis Landry, Josh Gordon, David Njoku + Corey Coleman, Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde. This is before you even draft and they have like $50M in cap space. Assuming they draft Darnold at #1 (or any QB) really, they aren't going to be up for a big contract for 4 - 5 years.

For the Giants:

- You own the #2 pick

- Would also have the #4 pick

- Two picks in the 2nd

You could easily take Barkley at #2; take Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Mayfield at #4; trade down from #4 and get extra picks, etc. Would save themselves $25M +

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Just floating this idea out there... I wonder if the Lions are talking up Abdullah so much because they're looking at trading Riddick (who has a hefty $4.1M cap hit).

I forgot Riddick makes that much.  Technically he is a WR though so I am not too mad at it given he is cheap for a WR that puts up those numbers.  I don't see why hyping Abdullah would have any impact on if they were to move Riddick though.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I forgot Riddick makes that much.  Technically he is a WR though so I am not too mad at it given he is cheap for a WR that puts up those numbers.  I don't see why hyping Abdullah would have any impact on if they were to move Riddick though.

Maybe to sell it to the fan base given how much he has been criticized?

Doug Baldwin was BR's top slot WR for 2017. Cap hit of $4M in 2017 and $11M in 2018. Sooo.. we'll just stick with the $4.1M.

Archived