An Actual Realistic Mock Draft - Post Combine

taylor made

A month after the Alex Smith Trade and on paper the Redskins Offense looks absolutely awful. Like 0-16 or 1-15 awful. No one really is a threat on offense and that is a big problem. Josh Doctson looks to be struggling as a No. 2 wide receiver and the chances he ever develops into a Number 1 Wide receiver seem very slim. Paul Richardson isn't gonna put the fear of god in defenders and he's also not a number one receiver - We've done the FA WR for the last 10 years under Snyder. Let's skip that option. Bringing in Sammy Watkins would anger me like the Alex Smith trade & the drafting of Ryan Anderson. In fact, we should skip FA altogether and sign Breeland/Brown and get some comp. picks if they do leave. For once, we need to skip FA with Cousins guaranteeing us that comp. pick.

ROUND ONE - PICK #13 - Calvin Ridley, WR Alabama

950x534

The Skins have had crappy luck drafting WR's in the Snyder era. Rod Gardner, Cliff Russell, Taylor Jacobs, Malcom Kelly, Devin Thomas, Leonard Hankerson, & Josh Doctson all under Snyder. That's an awful track record & could be the worse run of WR drafting in the last 15+ years in the NFL! Calvin Ridley didn't set the combine on fire so let's use that to our advantage. I understand we need a NT in a bad way, but Ridley has number one WR potential and I think he's a relatively safe, solid pick. Calvin Ridley also compliments our current WR corps VERY well. He would be the deep threat the team needs, but also brings YAC and would be a good WCO WR.  You draft Ridley and that takes a lot of pressure away from Doctson to develop, and forms some resemblance of an NFL attack that actually scares some defenses. 

ROUND TWO - Pick #44 - Tim Settle, NT Virginia Tech

settle_tim.png

I've looked at Vita Vea and Da'Ron Payne and I like them both but I think the difference between Calvin Ridley and all these other spread WRs (James Washington, Anthony Miller, Michael Gallup) is bigger than Vea/Payne and then someone like Tim Settle or a Harrison Phillips (if he falls, which I'm not projecting). Like Ridley, Tim Settle didn't put on a show at the combine so I think he will be available here. The Skins have had good luck drafting Virginia Tech players and Settle is a local guy which will help his progression. He's young and he's gonna have to develop some, but he's a big boy NT who won't get pushed around easily. Add him into a rotation onto our line and I think he'll excel. He won't have the pressure to be the savior of the run defense like a Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne would have.

ROUND FOUR - Pick #113 - Mark Walton, RB Miami

mark-walton-dynasty-rookie-620x330.jpg

I think if the team drafts a running back early on he's gonna have a tough time because there won't be a serious aerial attack. Kerryon Johnson has a weird body type/run style that no other NFL RB has and that scares me. Same deal with Ronald Jones. I do like Guice and Chubb though. But again I feel they'd be ineffective in the first couple years here without a stud WR. I think RB in round two is a trap because this draft is very deep at RB and I like some of these day 3 options! I don't think we can give up on Samaje Perine or Rob Kelley yet, but creating a RBCC would be ideal for this year. Throw Walton in and see what happens. Also I like Kallen Ballage and Royce Freeman here.

ROUND FIVE, ROUND SIX AND SEVEN - Still need to address LG position and thoughts of taking Will Hernandez at #13 have crossed my mind. I'm not sure how much better that would make the team though. I think the team has invested a lot into the OL with draft picks with okay results. No OL are really jumping out at me this late in the draft.

I'm Skipping these for now. Might Do Round Five Later.

In Summary: I really like this drafting of offense (WR) in the first, then go back to defense in the second then pick up a late RB in the 4th or 5th to compete in a RBCC. This is Gruden's make or break draft and he'd be getting all the tools necessary to show some progress or be fired.

Like this mock assuming the following:

Re-sign Zach Brown

Re-sign Bashaud Breeland

———

I prefer Royce Freeman to Mark Walton as Walton seems more in the Chris Thompson mold than a 3 down rusher with some speed.

I also think Calvin Ridley is somehow underrated. His tape doesn’t blow your skirt up (partly due to BAMA’s offense), but his speed and route-running ability is excellent.

Howevvvvvva (Stephen A Smith voice).....if we somehow miss on Calvin Ridley, that would be a huge issue with it being the 2nd 1st round WR drafted that we didn’t knock out of the park.

Ridley may be great, but the pick is too risky, imo.

Not just because of Doctson, but unless their absolute stud HOFers, they usually don't have an impact as a rookie

I would be ok with drafting Ridley, if we signed...

Poe, Sherman, Revis, Robinson, Etc, etc, etc.

my point? If we go completely nuts in FA and sign every stud possible to this roster and draft Ridley?

That would be wonderful. Great no problem.

But I'm not hangin' my hat on a rooke WR, unless I invent time travel & draft Randy Moss, Megatron, Julio or AJ green.

and since I can't time travel, I would prefer a different position in the 1st rd.

In the 4th or later...draft any wr you like.

I think we need to look for wr in FA or thru trade, imo.

Would love to get Allen Robinson & Tavon Austin on this team. Serious speed.

We need talent on this Offense...badly.

And I'd rather get talent, I know is pretty darn good.

not hope they are at 13.

No problem with Ridley at # 13. 

I may prefer another option there, but I like him enough there, and the WR position needs the jolt. 

No problem with Settle at # 44.

He looked sluggish and sloppy at the Combine, which was disconcerting, but I remember liking his on-field play more.. so that wins out. I see him as a more risky option as NT now... since we're talking top 50, and he looks like he would have to have conditioning concerns. 

No strong issue with Walton at # 113.

I wonder if he'd be available in another round.. or two. Looks awfully small... like Tyreek Hill small. Coming off an ankle injury that cost him lots of last year... but I liked what I saw of him. He looks quick and scrappy, even if official 4.6 speed. 

incomplete mock, booooo!!!!       :P  

24 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I would prefer a vet WR to pair with Doctson but I wouldn’t hate this mock.

Agreed. I've softened on Ridley, and expect a good talent to reach us at 13 that we need (Smith hopefully), but I wouldn't walk away from this mad at all.

Ridley at 13 is a bit of a reach. Frankly, I think Sutton will be there at 13.

I think Nettle is a reach as well, as he's very much a rotational player. I also think that this team has to take a RB in the first two rounds, and Ronald Jones or Nick Chubb are going to be there.

I would be okay with this draft  provided that they use their "one big splash" in free agency to target a top guard. If we are worried about the team's offense, having a gaping hole in front of the quarterback and then not addressing it in this offseason is a recipe for disaster.

Given that I am of the opinion that Brown and Breeland are likely not being retained, the offense emphasis on this draft is a bit risky, but I can understand it.

13 minutes ago, Woz said:

I would be okay with this draft  provided that they use their "one big splash" in free agency to target a top guard. If we are worried about the team's offense, having a gaping hole in front of the quarterback and then not addressing it in this offseason is a recipe for disaster.

Given that I am of the opinion that Brown and Breeland are likely not being retained, the offense emphasis on this draft is a bit risky, but I can understand it.

The issue is I don't think there is going to be any kind of splash in free agency. We'll be tied to players, make them outrageous below market offers and then tell the fans they took other offers that we couldn't compete with. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

The issue is I don't think there is going to be any kind of splash in free agency. We'll be tied to players, make them outrageous below market offers and then tell the fans they took other offers that we couldn't compete with. 

Which is ridiculous since they've got a ton of cap space ... but as a fanbase, we'll buy it because we're that stupid.

Just now, Woz said:

Which is ridiculous since they've got a ton of cap space ... but as a fanbase, we'll buy it because we're that stupid.

They've been doing it since Bruce took over. The only time we made any splash was when Norman and Jackson were unexpectedly cut. We're not players in free agency. Well, unless you like overpaying back ups from other teams to be starters here. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

They've been doing it since Bruce took over. The only time we made any splash was when Norman and Jackson were unexpectedly cut. We're not players in free agency. Well, unless you like overpaying back ups from other teams to be starters here. 

To be honest, I'm okay with us not being heavily involved in free agency (again, my "you get one big splash per year" rule).

What would bother the heck out of me is blatantly lying about it if they went after a player with a lowball offer and then they pull an "aww shucks, we got beat." If they are going to make a run at a player, make a run. Don't half-*** it.

Archived