The Mandalorian (Spoilers!!!) Season 2 10/30

Acgott

2 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Wasnt the biggest fan of the actress who played Bo-Katan. I dont know the lore, but she seemed too 'clean' to me. Would have preferred someone with a bit more grit to them, alot comes down to writing though I suppose. 

She's the voice actor from Clone Wars. 

14 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ah, makes sense then. She deserved that role. Just didnt get a very tough'ish vibe from her. 

That’s funny you say that. Katee Sackhoff was the sci-fi queen in the 2000s thanks to Battlestar Galactica. She was fan cast as every female action hero such as Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ah, makes sense then. She deserved that role. Just didnt get a very tough'ish vibe from her. 

you should watch Battlestar Galatica. You'll have a different perception. 

She is also extremely good in the Netflix show Another Life (which I recommend) 

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Cosigning that @BroncosFan2010 needs to watch Battlestar Galactica to get a true perspective of Katee Sackoff.  The fault of her appearing that way is the fault of the director and producers, not the actress.  

I think they leaned to heavy on people knowing who the character is prior to the episode. Which is tough, because while extremely good, Clone Wars and Rebels are still cartoons marketed for kids. The demo for Mandalorian is not that. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

I think they leaned to heavy on people knowing who the character is prior to the episode. Which is tough, because while extremely good, Clone Wars and Rebels are still cartoons marketed for kids. The demo for Mandalorian is not that. 

Yeah, I had no idea.  All I really know, without going on Wookieepedia to review, is who Ahsoka and I remembered who Satine was, just not the name.  No idea she had a sister.  

They are definitely referencing quite a bit of the "cartoon lore" (not meaning that in a negative context, I just don't have a better way to describe it) and they have no way to explain it.  

There are also plenty of folks who are extremely casual watchers just here for Baby Yoda too...........I hope they aren't trying to serve too many masters at once with this show.  

20 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, I had no idea.  All I really know, without going on Wookieepedia to review, is who Ahsoka and I remembered who Satine was, just not the name.  No idea she had a sister.  

They are definitely referencing quite a bit of the "cartoon lore" (not meaning that in a negative context, I just don't have a better way to describe it) and they have no way to explain it.  

There are also plenty of folks who are extremely casual watchers just here for Baby Yoda too...........I hope they aren't trying to serve too many masters at once with this show.  

I think casuals will be fine with this episode at least. They didnt go into detail about why Bo-Katan wants the Dark Sabre or her history with it but that is almost better for those without the background knowledge because its a cool mystery to ponder. I think where they did go wrong is they didn't develop her much, she was just a plug and play. I dont have anyone to discuss it with who is a casual so I am curious how her character comes across if this was their introduction. 

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

i think casuals will be fine with this episode at least

yep, im a casual and i really liked it.

Bryce Dallas Howard did a great job directing, and there were some really great moments, especially that one funny moment that happened when they trapped the Mandos in the cargo control room

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I think casuals will be fine with this episode at least. They didnt go into detail about why Bo-Katan wants the Dark Sabre or her history with it but that is almost better for those without the background knowledge because its a cool mystery to ponder. I think where they did go wrong is they didn't develop her much, she was just a plug and play. I dont have anyone to discuss it with who is a casual so I am curious how her character comes across if this was their introduction. 

As the most casual of casuals, I had no clue who she was/is or her importance. Same with the guy at the end of episode 1 that was staring at Mando when he rode off with the armor. But she was cool and had sweet looking armor so I enjoyed the episode. 

I usually end up watching a YouTube video to get an understanding of why things mattered or who the people were in an episode. 

On 11/14/2020 at 10:28 AM, BroncosFan2010 said:

Anyone else impressed by Bryce Dallas Howard's directorial talents? I loved this episode. Tons of action, done well, and the best world building we may have seen so far IMO. 

I think any of the directors are basically piggybacking on Favreau but it was impressive nonetheless.  

Wasnt the biggest fan of the actress who played Bo-Katan. I dont know the lore, but she seemed too 'clean' to me. Would have preferred someone with a bit more grit to them, alot comes down to writing though I suppose. 

Gotta second the point made that you have to watch Battlestar Galactica - she's awesome as Starbuck...and "clean" is not a word you'll associate with her after watching that series.

On 11/13/2020 at 11:06 AM, THE DUKE said:

Now things are starting to move some.

Very happy they re-introduced Bo Katan, time to start tying Mandalorian culture together again.  A bit ironic someone not from Mandalore telling someone who is that they are not Mandalorian.  I thought Mando being brought up under the way of Death Watch might have been a bigger issue than it was between him and Bo Katan.  Also happy that Sasha Banks was nothing more than a bit part side character with a couple of throw away lines.

I am relieved they aren't trying to play off Ahsoka as some big reveal since we all know she was going to be involved anyway.  I'm very curious as to how she is going to react given that she will be the first character to see the child that had a close personal relationship with Yoda.  She could end up being a one off appearance or she could be around for the rest of the season.  She has her own quest left over from Rebels along with Sabine, so I assume it'll be more the former.

I liked the zealotry they are giving the people loyal to the empire.  It's a nice touch on how they were able to stick around after the fall of the emperor, and I suspect we'll get some form of the genesis of the first order coming out of this.  For a one off side villain, landing Titus Welliver was a nice get.

I've been pondering your last statement.  Problem is, the show is set in 9 ABY.  The Battle of Jakku is 5 ABY, and based off all of the lore right now, Admiral Rae Sloane is tasked by Admiral Gallius Rax (who was given Operation Cinder by Sidious) to take the remnants of the Empire to the Unknown Regions.  This was a hand-picked group that included the remaining "best and brightest" of the Empire, who would be key to forging the First Order.  

What we have four years later are essentially holdouts.  Yes, they are zealots, but not in the way that they are going to create anything to do with the First Order.......because those guys are gone.  Anyone who survived Operation Cinder and remained loyal to the Empire has to be one cold, dedicated, amoral SOB.  

At least, this is how I am taking it, and I am basing it off the Aftermath Trilogy, which is the key piece of lore (so far) to explain the ending of the Empire/beginning of the First Order.  Though apparently, some of the new comic stuff is saying that Sidious began construction on Starkiller base in 1 ABY, and hid it from Vader- https://screenrant.com/star-wars-starkiller-base-construction-palpatine-empire-first-order/#:~:text=Star Wars has hinted that,III - Revenge of the Sith.

So it seems even the expanded lore is plagued by some of the same inconsistencies in storytelling and continuity that the Sequel Trilogy was plagued by.  Also, I am not sure when this was actually announced or anything, but the Starkiller Base planet was actually Ilum........which is a HUGE nugget of information that I missed, and I am a big Star Wars fan.