Could Luck miss the first 6 games?

Wyld Stallyns

So last week the Colts announced that Andrew Luck had started throwing for the first time since having shoulder surgery in March and that he would start training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. 

I must admit this is starting to feel like 2011 (deja vu) all over again. I agree that they need to take all the necessary precautions to make sure he is on the best road to recovery.

Unlike 2011, Manning had to have an unexpected additional surgery in September so that kind of explained why they hadn't sought out a vet QB until late in the season. 

Ballard and Pagano always said that they didn't want to give a time table for Luck's recovery but once he was a week into throwing Ballard said this was where he thought they would be at this time. And yet they were comfortable enough to go into training camp with Scott Tolzien and Stephen Morris. 

If his recovery hits a road bump (i.e. He reinjures it or isn't ready for week 1) he could become a candidate for PUP. If he is placed on the the regular season PUP list he would miss at least the first 6 games. 

Based on the Colts first 6 regular season games:

@ Rams, vs Cardinals, vs Browns, @ Seahawks, vs 49ers, @ Titans 

w/ Luck wins against Rams, Browns and 49ers and potentially Cardinals (3-3 at worse) 

w/o Luck wins against Browns and maybe 49ers (2-4 st best) 

not forgetting to mention that he could miss more games which included 

vs Jaguars, @ Bengals

The Colts have started out 0-2 the last 3 seasons and finished 8-8 the last 2. Without Luck for a good chunk of 2015 the Colts ecked out a 6-3 record with Matt Hasselbeck but finished 8-8. Even if Luck returns after missing 6 weeks I'm not sure the team can finish better then 7-9/8-8 

3 hours ago, stallyns said:

w/ Luck wins against Rams, Browns and 49ers and potentially Cardinals (3-3 at worse) 

3 hours ago, stallyns said:

w/o Luck wins against Browns and maybe 49ers (2-4 st best) 

The Titans should be included on both of these lists. We never beat the Colts. Just never.

9 hours ago, titans0021 said:

The Titans should be included on both of these lists. We never beat the Colts. Just never.

Come on it's only 11 straight games. ?

Really though, it's still a road game and a tough division opponent. One that is only getting tougher every year. 

On 8/2/2017 at 8:36 AM, stallyns said:

Come on it's only 11 straight games. ?

Really though, it's still a road game and a tough division opponent. One that is only getting tougher every year. 

And that is why I want Luck to be in when they go head to head on Monday night football. If Titans are going to break the win streak I want it to be against Colts and Luck.  I just think Titans have a real good shot of winning at least one game against Colts in 2017.  Not trying to be arrogant but we all know it is going to be broken at some point. 

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If they struggle, any chance they just IR him for the year and chalk it up as a lost year?

I highly doubt it, they're going to take as many precautions as they can to make sure he doesn't overwork it. I think the only way he ends up on IR is if reinjury and then surgery happen. 

Just now, stallyns said:

Chris Ballard said today that Luck won't start the season on PUP but it's to be determined whether he'll start Week 1

Colts could probably stand a chance against two of their first three games without Luck.  Rams and Browns could be beaten with Tolzien, maybe even the Cardinals depending on whether or not the Cardinals let last season linger.  The Cardinals are a very momentum team, so if they lose the opener to Detroit, the Colts might have an even better chance at beating them.

If I were the Colts, I'd sit Luck for at least the first three weeks if there was any chance of him aggravating something and hope I could come out of those three weeks 2-1. 

On 8/9/2017 at 5:51 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Colts could probably stand a chance against two of their first three games without Luck.  Rams and Browns could be beaten with Tolzien, maybe even the Cardinals depending on whether or not the Cardinals let last season linger.  The Cardinals are a very momentum team, so if they lose the opener to Detroit, the Colts might have an even better chance at beating them.

If I were the Colts, I'd sit Luck for at least the first three weeks if there was any chance of him aggravating something and hope I could come out of those three weeks 2-1. 

I'd say that's spot on. The first three games are all winnable without Luck, but then the Seahawks will be tough. After that though it looks winnable again with games against San Francisco, Tennessee and the Jags so personally I don't feel we absolutely have to rush him back, just make sure he's fully ready. 

On 8/9/2017 at 9:51 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

After these two preseason games I doubt it he's awful.

Archived