Junior Galette - EDGE - 1 Yr / 3M 

Ryan Grant - WR - 2 Yrs / 4M 

Trent Murphy - EDGE - 1 Yr / 2.5M

Spencer Long - G - 3 Yrs / 18M with 50% Guaranteed - 4.5M 2018 Hit

Dustin Hopkins - K - 3 Yrs / 3.6M

Signed:

Kevin Minter - LB - 1 Yr / 3M

Cody Latimer - WR - 3 Yrs / 13.5M with 4.5M 2018 Cap Hit

Offered Allen Robinson, WR, Jacksonville, 8M AAV and he signed with San Francisco for nearly 15M AAV. 

Offered Paul Richardson, WR, Seattle, 8M AAV and he signed with the Jets for 11M AAV. 

Draft:

Detroit gets 1.13, Washington gets 1.20 and 2.19 (Detroit traded to select Derrius Guice, RB, LSU)

1.20 - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

2.12 - Traded with Jacksonville for 2.29, 3.29, and 4.29 (Jacksonville traded to select Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville)

2.19 (From Detroit) - D.J. Chark, WR, LSU

2.29 (From Jax) - Carlton Davis, CB, LSU

3.29 (From Jax) - Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State

4.13 - Deadrin Senat, DT, USF

4.29 (From Jax) - Duke Dawson, CB, Florida

5.12 - Keke Coutee, WR, Texas Tech

6.14 - Will Clapp, G, LSU

7.13 - Kyle Kicks, CB, TCU

7.23 - Tyrone Crowder, G, Clemson

Depth Chart:

QB: Smith, McCoy

RB: Penny, Perine, Thomspon, Hicks

WR: Doctson, Chark, Crowder, Latimer, Grant, Coutee

TE: Reed, Davis, UDFA

OT: Williams, Moses, Nsekhe, 

G: Long, Scherff, Clapp, Crowder

C: Roullier

DL: Allen, Ioannidis, Hood, Senat, Lanier

EDGE: Kerrigan, Smith, Murphy, Galette, Anderson

LB: Brown, Evans, Foster, Minter

CB: Norman, Davis, Moreau, Dunbar, Dawson, Holsey

S: Swearinger, Nicholson, Everett, Smithson, Harvey-Clemons

K - Hopkins

P - Way

LS - Sundberg

Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, mike23md said:

He was a 2nd round pick for Denver a few years back. Never panned out in their system. 

Not sure I would sign a WR on a 3y deal and then draft a 2nd WR in the 5th (I have no problem with grabbing Chark in the 2nd, just not sure I would go Coutee in the 5th ... probably prefer a lineman there in the 5th).

I think you are underestimating Murphy's market a bit (maybe Galette's too), but I have no problem with the keeps/pickups.

Overall thought is, plenty enough to like here.

I liked Latimer as a prospect. Too soon to dismiss his potential, so I like it enough. 

I am skeptical that Zach Brown would sign that, but just maybe he finds the market not as generous. Or maybe he actually likes it in DC.

No problems with the other signings, and the draft selections look pretty good. 

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Not sure I would sign a WR on a 3y deal and then draft a 2nd WR in the 5th (I have no problem with grabbing Chark in the 2nd, just not sure I would go Coutee in the 5th ... probably prefer a lineman there in the 5th).

I think you are underestimating Murphy's market a bit (maybe Galette's too), but I have no problem with the keeps/pickups.

Murphy is coming off what was his contract year, where he spent it on IR. My best guess is that he is likely not to sign anywhere else considering he had a career year in which he was on PED's just the year before. He is kind of in a bind, so this would essentially be a contract year if he so chooses. Gotta play to get paid. 

Galette is likely, if he is able, to go out and get more money somewhere else. If you noticed on the depth chart I forgot about Anderson. So if Galette is ready to go and make more money somewhere else, then I guess we can take Anderson and slot him as a back up. 

Just now, mike23md said:

If you noticed on the depth chart I forgot about Anderson.

How could you forget Anderson?! He made so many memorable plays like ... umm ... well ... hey, he played fullback on a couple of short yardage goal-to-go situations (that got stuffed)!

Only two things a have a problem with with this one

according to the depth chart latimer is last on it, so your going to pay a guy 4.5 mil a year to be last on the depth chart after drafting two rookies?

why draft another ILB? You resigned brown and we resigned foster, as well as signed minter in FA, we still have spaight and also Harvey Clemons who I want to see get some more work in, not to mention Su’a will prob play some dime linebacker

did you cut Dunbar? Don’t see him at corner, also one of our biggest needs is to improve the DL and I don’t see where that was done

2 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Only two things a have a problem with with this one

according to the depth chart latimer is last on it, so your going to pay a guy 4.5 mil a year to be last on the depth chart after drafting two rookies?

why draft another ILB? You resigned brown and we resigned foster, as well as signed minter in FA, we still have spaight and also Harvey Clemons who I want to see get some more work in, not to mention Su’a will prob play some dime linebacker

did you cut Dunbar? Don’t see him at corner, also one of our biggest needs is to improve the DL and I don’t see where that was done

Dunbar...gawd...

For the most part, I drafted for value, not necessarily need. Most teams don't draft for need. 

If you watch Evans, he is clearly a day 1 starter in the NFL. Dude is a monster at the position. 

Latimer was not signed with any guaranteed money. So he can be cut after 1 year. High risk, high reward in this case. 

Clapp can also play C and can back up there if needed. Just like Long. 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

Dunbar...gawd...

For the most part, I drafted for value, not necessarily need. Most teams don't draft for need. 

If you watch Evans, he is clearly a day 1 starter in the NFL. Dude is a monster at the position. 

Latimer was not signed with any guaranteed money. So he can be cut after 1 year. High risk, high reward in this case. 

Clapp can also play C and can back up there if needed. Just like Long. 

I like Evans too but it just doesn’t make sense to draft him if we have brown, foster, and minter, also stunts Harvey Clemons and could end up forcing him off the roster, if Payne or Vea are still there at 20 which I think one of them will be I think you have to take one of them, great value and arguably would be the best available filling a huge need at NT and rotational DE

wouldny you take Moncrief over latimer? Could get him cheaper than most think

19 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I like Evans too but it just doesn’t make sense to draft him if we have brown, foster, and minter, also stunts Harvey Clemons and could end up forcing him off the roster, if Payne or Vea are still there at 20 which I think one of them will be I think you have to take one of them, great value and arguably would be the best available filling a huge need at NT and rotational DE

wouldny you take Moncrief over latimer? Could get him cheaper than most think

Payne and Vea were not there. Harvey Clemons is a project and needs time to develop (he is also considered a tweener between S and LB). Evans, was by far the best talent at the trade back value. I would much rather have Evans and Brown as the slotted starters than to have Foster or Minter starting. To me, that was a hell of a LB corps to rotate with. 

Moncrief had signed with another team already and I didnt want to miss out on a vet WR with some upside and without breaking the bank. Especially because I was not sure if I could get any WR's I liked in the draft. I tried to get Robinson, but Moncreif signed the same time that Robinsons took double the money from San Fran. So, Latimer was the best option available as a vet, and a Superbowl champion, WR. 

Also, I filled the NT position with Deadrin Senat, USF. 

Archived