Where does Richard Sherman rank among corners on the all-time list?

Cheesehawk

Where does Richard Sherman rank among corners on the all-time list?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Richard Sherman rank among corners on the all-time list?

• Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 15
    • Top 20
    • Outside Top 20

In the modern era (Sorry Night Train Lane and Willie Brown), I'd say behind, in no particular order:

*Charles Woodson

*Rod Woodson

*Deion Sanders

*Champ Bailey

*Mike Haynes

*Mel Blount

*Darrell Green

*Revis

Then you get into territory where he COULD be argued, like Aeneas Williams territory.

Probably Top 10, definitely Top 15.

Tough to judge him considering he basically played one side in his most dominant years.  Not his fault, but moving your #1 away from him was pretty simple.  Playing with Thomas and Kam over the top didn't hurt either.  Hall of Fame, but he's not getting in before Revis.

Top 10-15. Sherman is spectacular, has great technique, instincts, and excellent knowledge.

1 hour ago, pheltzbahr said:

Tough to judge him considering he basically played one side in his most dominant years.  Not his fault, but moving your #1 away from him was pretty simple.  Playing with Thomas and Kam over the top didn't hurt either.  Hall of Fame, but he's not getting in before Revis.

The ability to shut down one side of the field shouldn't be overlooked though. Considering how often offense's prefer fieldside reads and being able to erase the sidelines there is crucial. Thomas over the top was critical, yes, but there's still a lot of ground to cover for a CB with just a single high safety as opposed to two deep shells. Kam was essentially a free defender/lurker more in tune w/ Seattle's Under Front and was not used as a typical deep safety in those respects.

Hard to say considering no other CB in her era played with a loaded defense like him. Literally 1st and 2nd team all pro players all around him. That doesn't subtract from his greatness obviously, but he had substantially more help and room for era than similarly talented players.

I think what makes his case tougher vs some others is the relatively short span of time he had. He came into the league a little older than most IIRC and didn’t really burst onto the scene until his 2nd/3rd year. Now he appears to be on the downside of his career - apparently being done in Seattle, coming off a torn Achilles, approaching 30 years old. 

I think his all time ranking will be effected by how he does in the next couple years. I’m not sure he has the versatility that a Woodson or Blount had. 

If we’re looking at primes (multiple seasons) then I can’t see him outside top 15.

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

In the modern era (Sorry Night Train Lane and Willie Brown), I'd say behind, in no particular order:

*Charles Woodson

*Rod Woodson

*Deion Sanders

*Champ Bailey

*Mike Haynes

*Mel Blount

*Darrell Green

*Revis

Then you get into territory where he COULD be argued, like Aeneas Williams territory.

Probably Top 10, definitely Top 15.

Aeneas was every bit as good as Champ, Regis and Darrell Green in his prime.  Sherman is definitely a tier below them.

I like Sherman but the lack of respect to Chris Harris in this thread is appalling to say the least. Especially considering the fact that a valid argument could be made that he has actually been better than Sherman over the course of their careers. 

38 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I think the stats speak for themselves since he came into the league in pass-happy, offensive favored league:

DX3SHkBUMAAs2zN.jpg:large

Wherever you put Revis, I would put Sherman right around there.

Where is this from?

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

They like to set weird cut-offs to fit whatever agenda that happens to match any hot-topic at the moment to generate clicks

Not really. 1st of all they put 2011 because that’s when he entered the league. So that stat starts from when he entered the league. He’s been good from pretty much the get go. It ain’t a weird cut off. Harris has not been as good as Sherman, come on now. Even in passer rating he has the best since he entered the league even though the 2-3 years dude didn’t get thrown at.

Archived