jetskid007's pre-FA mock draft 1.0

jetskid007

In regards to key FAs/Trade... 

• I feel the Jets will come out of the gate swinging in effort to convince Cousins to change his mind.
  • Robinson preferred to sign with SF, but they have other ideas at WR. Baltimore opts to sign cheaper option in Moncrief while also focusing on a trade with Miami for Landry. Chicago signs Watkins and Wilson. Washington signs Richardson. With the Jets the only team willing to pay A-Rob big guaranteed money on a 1-year deal, he bets on himself. 
  • I think Richburg has the potential to be a FA bust, but the Jets are going to have one or 2 of those in this years class. At least he’ll be better than what we had in Wes Johnson. 
  • Breeland is the best young CB on the market and is remarkably similar to Mo Claiborne. He’ll replace him in the secondary. 
  • Carpenter is still one of the best man-blocking guards in the league and Seattle knows him well. Was a poor fit for Cable’s ZBS but excellent fit for Schotty’s ZBS - and he’s cheap. 

Key DRAFT picks... 

• Like Darnold or not, I believe he’ll be Maccagnan’s top QB. He has the blend of skill set, upside, and character that we look for, and will fit really well in Bates’s movement WCO. 
  • Thompson is a guy that I think a Maccagnan will value a lot. DL still isn’t really a need, but he’s the BPA in this situation. Can play 3T or 5T. 
  • Armstrong fits the exact profile of edge rusher we look for: long, lean, and high potential. I think he’ll improve his 40/10YD times at his pro day and has the potential to be a Danielle Hunter-like player. 
  • Cole may very well be the starting center with Richburg shifting to LG if the draft turned out like this. Cole is an underrated athlete who needs to work on technique, but definitely an NFL talent. 

If Darnold turns into the next great QB then great I'd trade 3 #1's to have a great young QB locked up for the next 15 years.  I may cry if it's for Allen though.  I hate him as a prospect so much.  Don't care about the rest of the draft if we land a great QB all will be well.  Whoever it is better pan out that's all I care about.

34 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If Darnold turns into the next great QB then great I'd trade 3 #1's to have a great young QB locked up for the next 15 years.  I may cry if it's for Allen though.  I hate him as a prospect so much.  Don't care about the rest of the draft if we land a great QB all will be well.  Whoever it is better pan out that's all I care about.

Pretty much. I do my mocks from Maccagnan’s perspective, not my own. 

If I were running the show, I’d probably sit back and take Rosen and if he weren’t there, draft BPA and select a QB in round 2. I think Maccagnan would like to do the same in a vacuum, but he’s under pressure to get a QB right away (despite the extension, he’s on a leash) so I feel he’ll take the plundge on his guy. If he gets a QB and the team plays poorly he’ll probably save his job as Snead did. If we are average with no QB, he’ll likely be fired. 

Love the Robinson signing obviously. I also like Richburg and Breeland. Stil feel we could go and bring in two more really talented young free agents.

The draft is fantastic (IF Darnold becomes our franchise qb) anything else is only a bonus. It’s QB or bust this offseason. 

Really not a fan of using a premier pick on a 3 or 5 tech. Been there done that, hasn’t worked. Would be pissed if Macc done that. I’d much rather a pass catching TE. 

19 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Love the Robinson signing obviously. I also like Richburg and Breeland. Stil feel we could go and bring in two more really talented young free agents.

The draft is fantastic (IF Darnold becomes our franchise qb) anything else is only a bonus. It’s QB or bust this offseason. 

Really not a fan of using a premier pick on a 3 or 5 tech. Been there done that, hasn’t worked. Would be pissed if Macc done that. I’d much rather a pass catching TE. 

Agreed. If I were running the draft, I'm taking best edge or playmaker at that spot. However, knowing the traits Macc seems to value I can see him really liking Thompson, and when considering McLendon is in the last year of his deal, I think we'll draft his replacement (McLendon played a ton of snaps at 3T last year) and keep Mike Pennel as the NT. Assuming Pennel plays well again next year, he'll be in-line for a long-term deal... in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him to a 3 year deal this offseason. 

3 hours ago, Bianconero said:

This is my nightmare scenario, personally

Trading up for Darnold? I can understand that, I don't like that either but aside from that this is a terrific offseason so well done @jetskid007

I personally want to stay at 6, but that is also a big gamble too. 

Also giving McCown 10 mil is absurd, there is going to be no market for him. I would rather give that to Teddy who is 25, and could have upside still. If McCown wants to come back he takes 1 mil and we cut Hackenberg, who Bowles basically admitted that he sucks, and we still draft a guy at 6. Jets have to secure that position, so you hedge your bet and still have a vet.

It's an interesting scenario. One I haven't seen before, so I love that aspect of it. The Carpenter trade sounds realistic too.

From what I'm hearing, this is a strong D L class. I'm a fan of taking advantage of a draft class strength, like the D B class of last year, or the W R class the Jet's unfortunately missed out on during the Idzik regime. So I like a a D T somewhere in rounds 2-4 this year.

Archived