Players available who played under Pettine

Brit Pack

None all that great but some will know how Pet wants to play and could help:

Dwight Lowery - FS - age 32 - didn't play in 2017

Derelle Revis - CB - age 32 - I guess could play safety, maybe leadership and insight

Leodis McKelvin - CB - age 32 - didn't play in 2017

Jarius Byrd - S - age 31 - played well under Pettine in Buffalo before stinking it up in New Orleans

Jerry Hughes - DE/OLB - age 29 - could be a cut in Buffalo

Artur Moats - OLB - age 29 - rotation guy possibly

Nigel Bradham - MLB - age 28 - played well for Philly

Alan Branch - NT - age 33 - could help in a rotation

Donte Whitner SS - age 32 - didn’t play in 2017

Pierre Desir - CB - age 27 - 6ft 2 corner, could be a cheap option

Armonty Bryant  DE/OLB - age 27 - had 3 sacks in 5 games in 2016 - was suspended for 4 games in 2017 then cut by the Lions has had three suspensions already in his career

The ones that interest me the most are Byrd and Lowery, bring them in as vet minimums see if the UFA's we got back there at safety can beat them out. Or I'd actually like to see Revis come here, I'd prefer him than overspending on other ageing cbs like a Talib or Sherman and you never know he might work out even as a free safety. Pierre Desir and Alan Branch I would again like to bring in again on the cheap to create some competition. As SkiBrett15 said only Bradham is of real quality. 

7 hours ago, Toddfather said:

Does Hughes have anything left?

This article says he didn't play too bad.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/1/19/16907886/buffalo-bills-defensive-end-jerry-hughes-2018-replacement-options-salary-cap-draft-free-agents

Summarising it says he played fewer snaps and almost reached his best tackle total. Also that he was quite isolated as everyone else on the D front was wack.  This being the key quote. "A tremendous amount of evidence suggests that Hughes’ “decline” is mostly a mirage. In 2017, Buffalo’s defensive line was less than stellar in collapsing the pocket. Without consistent threats elsewhere, teams keyed in on Hughes. Play-by-play review shows a player with plenty of power, speed, and a fair share of technique to go with a high motor. If the Bills rebuild the front 7, Hughes will look like a bargain."

Furthermore, he is on the books for two more years at 6.35m per year. Not too bad, I think worth a trade for. He is 29 now that deal will take him up to being 31.

1 hour ago, blankman0021 said:

Do you anticipate Revis being a better safety than Burnett? I don’t 

I'm not a fan of Burnett so not sure. What I do like about the Revis option is that he knows Pet, whether he plays safety or not he would be an excellent mentor to have around and should be a cheap pick up.

Did a little digging and some opinions are that he has still got it.

This was article reviewing his last year as a Jet in 2016 before he signed for the Chiefs. Basically saying he didn't actually play so bad.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/23/16693394/darrelle-revis-film-review-he-could-help

This was a comment from a poster on the Chiefs board here, made in January of this year:

how has Revis played so far? I thought with Revis and Peters, teams would have to throw to TE's and RBs most of the time but what has happened?

"He had a somewhat difficult time getting going his first week, but has since been excellent. He's our #3 CB. When we go nickel, Steven Nelson moves inside and Revis mans the RCB spot, and he's allowed next to nothing since the Jets game where he first struggled."

And these are some articles from this time last year about his potential move to safety. One from his former DB coach at the Jets:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000779273/article/jets-assistant-darrelle-revis-capable-of-playing-safety

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000800209/article/darrelle-revis-future-can-aging-cornerback-transition-to-safety

I'm very tempted to have him in Green Bay for name recognition alone..:)

Another guy who played under Pettine at Cleveland is Tramon Williams. I know he's ancient by NFL standards, but reports are he played quite well for Arizona last year. He could be valuable for a year or 2 in helping the Packers secondary learn Pettine's defense. 

11 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

What ever happened to pierre desir?

I was high on him as a prospect and rookie, but he played for the browns so maybe he was set back by the franchise.

Not that I ever seen him play a single down, but he got picked up by the Colts last season and on the Colts forums they say he came on strong starting 6 games when Vonta Davies went down and he played well with one pick. I like these kind of players, they look like they are on the up, could get them for about 4m per season and are entering their prime. Great size 6ft 2. Would love a pick up like this. 

On 3/8/2018 at 3:34 PM, skibrett15 said:

This would be the only one worth looking at.  And Wilkerson

Exactly what I was going to post. And I don't want to pay him what he's going to get. 

If you wanted Desir on the 90 for a look so be it. But he's done nothing.

On 3/11/2018 at 10:58 AM, Brit Pack said:

Not that I ever seen him play a single down, but he got picked up by the Colts last season and on the Colts forums they say he came on strong starting 6 games when Vonta Davies went down and he played well with one pick. I like these kind of players, they look like they are on the up, could get them for about 4m per season and are entering their prime. Great size 6ft 2. Would love a pick up like this. 

Me too.  I also liked him a lot as a draft prospect.  More competition at CB can't be a bad thing at this point.

Archived