Off from Work Mock Offseason

JetsDH23

Since i've been off the past two days due to the snow, I figured I'd try my hand in a Mock Offseason.

My mock is based off of Kurt Cousins signing with Denver.

Also, I don't put in contract length/money because i'm not good at structuring it.

Remaining Cuts

James Carpenter-OG: Doesn't fit the new blocking scheme

Buster Skrine-CB: Mr. Penalty, not worth the money

Ben Ijalana-OT: Not worth the money

Devin Smith-WR: Can't stay healthy. Not a good pick by Commander Mac

Bryce Petty-QB: He's had his chances & he's shown he's just not an NFL QB. The Jets go in a different direction this offseason at the QB position.

Christian Hackenburg-QB: He sucks, plain & simple. Mac will try to keep him to save face but I think he doesn't make it out of training camp this year.

Re-Signings

Josh McCown-QB: He didn't play that bad for the Jets last season. They bring him back to either be the bridge to a rookie QB (more on that later) or be a solid veteran backup.

Quincy Enunwa-WR: It was a shame he missed last season due to injury, but he was a nice surprise the year before. If you saw his tweet recently, he loves being apart of the Jets organization, & the Jets need to keep players like that around (it also helps that he's good). Bates uses him more as a HBack, getting him in matchups that will help him produce.

DeMario Davis-LB: He had a nice 2nd stint with the Jets and I think both sides will come to an agreement on a short term contract to keep him here.

Kony Ealy-DE: Nice find by the Jets on the waiver wire. The Jets bring him back to be a situational pass rusher

Eric Tomlinson-TE: He's a solid blocker & he impressed me a bit with some catches. Brought back for depth purposes.

Xavier Cooper-DE: DLine depth

Doug Middleton-FS: Safety depth

*Players not resigned: ASJ (too much $, not enough production), Mo Claiborne (too much $, injury concerns) & Wesley Johnson (sucks)

Free Agency

Allen Robinson-WR: Reports out there say that the Jets are one of the frontrunners (along with the 49ers) for him. I really liked ARob coming out of college & wish Idzik drafted him. Even coming off the torn ACL I think he'll make an immediate impact in our passing game being the true #1 WR.

Weston Richburg-C: WIth the Jets not resigning Wesley Johnson, they need someone to lead the OLine. Reports out their state there's mutual interest between the Jets and Richburg so I feel they get a deal done early with him.

Tyler Eifert-TE: Injury prone but a solid player when healthy. This is another player that I wanted the Jets to draft back in '13. Due to his injury past I think he may take an Alshon Jeffrey 1-yr prove it deal to show he can stay healthy & be productive.

Tavon Austin-WR: Jets sign him to return kickoffs and run the occasional gadget play.

Malcolm Butler-CB: The Jets need to revamp their CB position & they start by signing one of the top CB's in the FA class. Butler may not have played in the Super Bowl, but I believe he's still a solid player & can help the Jets secondary big time.

EJ Gaines-CB: The Jets need more than one CB so they double dip in free agency. Gaines had a big year in '17 & I believe he can keep that production going. Butler & Gaines form a nice CB duo for the Gang Green.

Trades

Bilal Powell to the Ravens for a 4th round pick: Now I know some of you are gonna ask why, but as much as I like Powell I believe he's not in the Jets long term plans. I think the Jets trade him while his value is somewhat still high & go in a new direction in the backfiled.

Draft

*Trade: The Jets trade their 6th pick to the 49ers for the 9th pick, 2nd round pick, & 6th round pick: The 49ers move up to grab a top defensive player (Ward or James). The Jets do this because Allen & Darnold are already off the board & they pick up another 2nd round pick & a 6th round pick.

1) Quentin Nelson-OG-Notre Dame: This guy is an absolute monster. He starts from day 1 for the Jets & will help anchor the Jets OLine for the next decade +.

**Trade: The Jets trade their 2nd round pick, their 4th round pick, & their 2019 4th round pick to the Steelers for the 28th overall pick: The Jets seeing a QB falling late in the 1st round make the move to get him........

1) Lamar Jackson-QB-Louisville: Now I know most of you will hate this pick, but here me out. Jackson was a very productive player at Louisville both in the air & on the ground. I've watched tape on him & I truly believe that he will be a successful NFL QB. Also, with all these reports about teams wanting him to move to WR, all it's going to do is put a chip on his shoulder & prove them wrong. He could be the starting QB for the Jets if he blows them away during the preseason or be brought along slowly into the season.

2) Derrius Guice-RB-LSU: The Jets start to revamp their backfield with one of the better RB's in the draft class. Guice is a solid RB & he would bring much needed speed for the Jets offesne.

2) Lorenzo Carter-OLB-Georgia: For as long as I can remember the Jets have needed a pass rusher off the edge. Well I think they finally get their edge rusher in Carter. He's a big dude (6'6) and has a relentless motor to him. His pass rushing presence helps free up Williams for more hits/sacks at the QB.

3) Da'Shawn Hand-DL-Alabama: With Mo Wilkerson gone, the Jets need someone to replace him. Hand is a solid player & Saban has been raving about him during the draft process. He's a guy that steps in from Day 1 & forms a solid DLine again with Williams and McLendon.

4) Bo Scarbrough-RB-Alabama: Maccagnan loves to double dip in his drafts & he does it this year at RB. Scarbrough may not have the prettiest of numbers but I think that more because of the heavy rotation in the Bama backfield. He's a bruiser of a runner & would be used mostly on goal line & end of game situations. Scarbrough & Guice help makeup the new Jets backfield along with McGuire.

5) WIll Clapp-OG/C-LSU: Maccagnan double dips yet again, this time on the OLine. Clapp had a solid career at LSU playing multiple positions on the OLine. He can be groomed to eventually replace Winters & with Nelson, the Jets are set with their interior line for a while.

6) Jack Cichy-LB-Wisconsin: Injuries drop him down a lot. Had he went back to Wisco for one more year, I think he's a Day 2 prospect. Cichy has a nose for the football & can start as a solid backup for the Jets & eventually replace Davis (or Lee if he doesn't step up) down the road.

6) Chase Litton-QB-Marshall: Another double dip. Litton put up solid numbers for the Herd & scouts/GM's seem to like him. He can be groomed to be a reliable backup or he could pull a Kurt Cousins & force his way on the field. The last Marshall QB the Jets drafted turned out pretty well for them, so they take a chance.

7) Michael Bagley-K-Miami: Solid kicker, the Jets draft him to be their starting K from Day 1.

Depth Chart

Offense

QB: Jackson/McCown, Litton

RB: Guice, Scarbrough, McGuire

WR1: Robinson, Austin

WR2: Anderson, Hansen

Slot: Kearse, Stewart

TE: Eifert, Leggett, Tomlinson

HBack: Enunwa 

OT: Shell

OG: Nelson, Dozier

C: Richburg, Harrison

OG: Winters, Clapp

OT: Beachum, Qvale

Defense

DE: Hand, Ealy

DT: McLendon, Pennel

DE: WIlliams, Cooper

OLB: Carter, Mauldin

ILB: Lee, Stanford

ILB: Davis, Cichy

OLB: Jenkins, Donahue

CB: Butler, Burris, Jones

CB: Gaines, Robinson, Clark

Slot: Roberts

FS: Mayes, Brooks,

SS: Adams, Middleton

Special Teams

K: Bagley

P: Edwards

KR: Austin

PR: McGuire

Personally, I believe this is a very solid team who can push for a playoff spot next season. With this offseason, they address some big needs & could then focus on OT the following offseason if need be. Let me know what you think!

Nice write up and to be honest I like most of the FA and draft picks.

I would actually love to trade back up for Jackson if he fell around where you’ve predicted him. Just hope we design an offense around him rather than trying to fit him in a standard offense. 

Never getting a fourth round pick for Powell in a million years though!!

I think the Jets have a OC in Jeremy Bates that doesn't let his ego get the best of him & would tailor an offense around Jackson that would make him successful. Also with players like ARob, Enunwa, Anderson, Guice, & potentially Leggett, the Jets have a ton of speed at the skill positions to help facilitate that offense.

One can dream about Powell, maybe a 5th rounder for him then.

You were doing beautifully until you traded down to take Lamar Jackson at 9 overall, when he may actually free fall. Loved free agency although I really dont think McCown should be signed until the market is dry. We should stay at 6 if Rosen or Baker are there. 

For the record i think jackson is a terrific kid, good head on his shoulders, and I am truly rooting for him. I just dont like the fit here at all. Solid mock man especially FA, jsut not a fan of the draft trades. 

So if this is how it shook out I would be cool with it, BUT that is being awfully cavalier with our QB situation.  In the draft if you have a guy you like you gotta make sure you get him, not get him as an afterthought at the end of the 1st round.  

Also I doubt Guice falls, there is some buzz that he goes top half of the first.  If we did get him though I wouldn't wanna pair him with Scarborough.  2 big power backs, just better guys out there to pair him with.  I also just don't think Bo is that great.

All in all though getting Nelson and a QB and those FA's would be amazing.

I really like this. Great write up and good read. 

However,  I'm not a big fan of big Bo. Just think he runs too upright. I do love the idea of getting guice, Jackson and neslon out of the draft. That'd be kickass. 

5 hours ago, ekill08x said:

You were doing beautifully until you traded down to take Lamar Jackson at 9 overall, when he may actually free fall. Loved free agency although I really dont think McCown should be signed until the market is dry. We should stay at 6 if Rosen or Baker are there. 

For the record i think jackson is a terrific kid, good head on his shoulders, and I am truly rooting for him. I just dont like the fit here at all. Solid mock man especially FA, jsut not a fan of the draft trades. 

Didn't take Jackson at #9. Took Nelson there & traded back into the 1st (28th) for Jackson

Archived