• Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
    • Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
    • Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
    • Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
    • Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/S, Alabama
    • Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
    • Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State

51 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

imo, if they truly are all in with Eli still, then yes, smartest move is to trade down and get Nelson. Since, in this scenario, they can't do that, I still picked Nelson.

I honestly feel like they could still pick Nelson at 2 regardless of a trade down or not. Because, while everyone, and I mean everyone is mocking Chubb to the Colts, I could very well see the Colts grabbing Nelson to protect Andrew Luck. 

Even with them having Eli, I think they go QB here simply because they don't expect to be in position for a QB again any time soon (or at least that's what they hope). I went with Darnold so that I could root against the USC guy.

I get the Nelson pick, and I could see them doing it (certainly if they traded down), but I just don't see it at 2.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I still haven’t gotten over Rosen shredding uva when he was a freshman.  I think he’ll be a star in the nfl.

Yes, so do I. So don't put him in NY! :D

I voted Darnold, because I feel that is the decision that will be made.

My hope is that they draft Mayfield, he sits behind Eli for half of the season and then gets playing time and BOMBS. Would just make me so happy to see.

Might need to add Josh Allen to the poll. He would be my pick if I was them — oozing with physical talent, needs a fair amount of polishing, would benefit tremendously from a year or two to sit behind Eli and learn from Pat Shurmur.

Since he wasn’t an option, I went with Sam Darnold for similar reasons. 

42 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Might need to add Josh Allen to the poll. He would be my pick if I was them — oozing with physical talent, needs a fair amount of polishing, would benefit tremendously from a year or two to sit behind Eli and learn from Pat Shurmur.

Since he wasn’t an option, I went with Sam Darnold for similar reasons. 

Idk man, Josh Allen has a career completion % of 56.2.  That's pretty awful.  For Comparison:

Mayfield - 68.5%

Darnold - 64.9%

Rosen - 60.9%

Jackson - 57.0%

Allen - 56.2%

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Idk man, Josh Allen has a career completion % of 56.2.  That's pretty awful.  For Comparison:

Mayfield - 68.5%

Darnold - 64.9%

Rosen - 60.9%

Jackson - 57.0%

Allen - 56.2%

Oh, you’re preaching to the choir on that one. I don’t know if you were here for the 2011 offseason, but every analyst and rumor in the world had us taking Jake Locker. And I hated it. For exactly that reason, his completion percentage was garbage. 

There are two reasons I would consider giving Allen a bit of a pass on that. First, the quality of his receivers was obviously not up to snuff. Especially this past season (his junior year), when you really would have expected his comp% to take a big step forward. His top two WRs from 2016 both graduated, as did his top TE. His top receiver this year was a sophomore who caught 11 passes the previous season. For a guy like Allen, who clearly doesn’t have pinpoint precision but does have a howitzer for an arm, shaky receivers are even more of a problem — they just can’t handle the heat he puts on the ball. 

The other reason I’d consider giving him a pass in this pick, specifically for NYG, is that they’re in the position of not needing (or really even wanting) a rookie to play right away. If you throw Allen right into the fire, it’s probably going to be a total nightmare. Might ruin him for the long haul. But Eli probably has a year or two of reasonably acceptable football left in him, so they can mold their rookie QB over time. And Allen is one talented, physically gifted lump of clay. 

I don’t envy them the decision between these QBs. I don’t see anything that resembles a sure thing in any of them — so I think I might shoot for the moon, go for the guy with the highest and trust my staff to coach him up. In his previous job, Gettleman got to benefit from a similar decision they made down in Carolina. 

Archived