Rams sign CB Sam Shields

marky mark

Two things are notable here:

1.  Shields' risk is high of injury/decline (at age 30), but he often played man coverage on an island, so he's a great schematic fit for Wade Phillips' attack man D.    As long as he's healthy, and hasn't dropped off skill-wise, it's a low-cost move with a potentially huge payoff.  Hats off to Snead here.

2.  This is more proof that GM Snead is determined to make at least one newsworthy transaction a day for the Rams until the Draft. 

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Two things are notable here:

1.  Shields' risk is high of injury/decline (at age 30), but he often played man coverage on an island, so he's a great schematic fit for Wade Phillips' attack man D.    As long as he's healthy, and hasn't dropped off skill-wise, it's a low-cost move with a potentially huge payoff.  Hats off to Snead here.

2.  This is more proof that GM Snead is determined to make at least one newsworthy transaction a day for the Rams until the Draft. 

Do you think the oft discussed decline at age 30 is based more on the actual chronological age or the fact that a 30 year old NFL player has endured 10 years of wear and tear ? The reason I ask is that Sam missed 2 full seasons because of his concussions.

Is he still a "30 year old" player or would that time off make him a bit "younger" in NFL terms ?

I wish Shields would have stayed retired, but focusing on the football aspect of it, this has some really good potential as a deal. I wouldn't bank on it being super great, but undoubtedly it has the potential to be a big one. 

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Do you think the oft discussed decline at age 30 is based more on the actual chronological age or the fact that a 30 year old NFL player has endured 10 years of wear and tear ? The reason I ask is that Sam missed 2 full seasons because of his concussions.

Is he still a "30 year old" player or would that time off make him a bit "younger" in NFL terms ?

you could maybe argue that at some positions, but at corner you have to have pretty close to elite athleticism. that usually doesnt lat into your 30's.

23 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I don't think it's a magic number chronologically - I think it's more related to mileage, injury toll, etc.   That would help Shields in theory - but given his concussion history, I don't know how intensely he's been training to stay in peak athletic form.  How long did he have to spend completely shut down?  I'm equally surprised he got cleared, after 4 concussions, TBH.  

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Really hope the best for Sam.  Hope he does really well for the Rams, but more importantly I hope he stays healthy. 

Same. Sam was a class act and was a joy to watch. Wish him well and hope he stays healthy! 

39 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

I wonder if he wanted to come back to Green Bay? Best of luck to him, I guess he still has a 2 game suspension that he has to serve. 

I don’t believe he does. Suspensions are served even if a player is a free agent. 

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Rams are scumbags tbh. No respect for this move. Sam Shields really should not be playing again after what happened. ugh.

How are the Rams scumbags here?  The last time I looked they weren’t forcing Shields to play.  He wants to play.  

Archived