Rams sign CB Sam Shields

marky mark

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

How are the Rams scumbags here?  The last time I looked they weren’t forcing Shields to play.  He wants to play.  

I agree. He probably shouldn’t be playing but it’s ultimately his choice. It may appear a little optimistic from the team doctor who passed his physical though.

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Rams are scumbags tbh. No respect for this move. Sam Shields really should not be playing again after what happened. ugh.

C'mon man.

I mean, if he clears a physical and WANTS to play, then thats up to him.    The Rams are just giving him an opportunity.  

Slightly veering the topic.... but its kind of getting old seeing everyone blame the league and teams for things like concussions and CTE instead of the players.      These are adults and they make a decision to play a full contact sport, knowing the possibly repercussions, and nowadays, players know the risk and still play.    Thats why I scoff at people who bash the league for former players who died and had CTE.....because I guarantee, most of those players wouldve kept playing the game even if they knew everything we know today.   Sure, some past players claim they would never play if they knew, but we all know thats BS.    Its one thing to say that when youre 60 and in bad shape.....but when youre 25 and making millions of dollars?   Yeah, most players will take that risk every time.

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

How are the Rams scumbags here?  The last time I looked they weren’t forcing Shields to play.  He wants to play.  

Often a player has to be protected from himself.  One good hit in the head, even by accident, and Sam will be on the sidelines.  I just don't think it is worth the risk.

14 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm surprised GB didn't re-sign him. He'd easily be their #1, even though he hasn't played much since 2015.

We're not really in a position to sign a vet who either won't work out medical wise. Rams have a strong secondary now so they can take the risk. 

1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

We're not really in a position to sign a vet who either won't work out medical wise. Rams have a strong secondary now so they can take the risk. 

On a 1 year "prove it" deal I'm sure they could.

Randall is okay if he's in the right spot. He cannot be on the outside against 1s. Last season he went from a nobody to being average.

Kevin King has the highest potential if he stays healthy. 

Rollins is pure depth. House I'm not sure should be starting.

They all get the benefit of the doubt playing for a terrible DC though last season.

So there should have been room for Shields.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm surprised GB didn't re-sign him. He'd easily be their #1, even though he hasn't played much since 2015.

Packers have probably the most conservative medical staff in the league. No way GB docs would clear Shields. Now, I dont agree with calling the Rams sumbags here either. Shields is a grown man and is responsible for himself. If he makes the decision to play, that’s on him. This whole protecting players from themselves is crap. The only time I agree with that sentiment is in-game where emotion and adrenaline is full force. 

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Often a player has to be protected from himself.  One good hit in the head, even by accident, and Sam will be on the sidelines.  I just don't think it is worth the risk.

Shields is a grown man. If he passes the physical and wants to play, nobody has any business taking that away from him.

14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Rams are scumbags tbh. No respect for this move. Sam Shields really should not be playing again after what happened. ugh.

What does that make the person who believes he has the right to control another man's life? If the neurologist clears him, who are you to argue with the doctor or force your beliefs onto another man? It's not your life.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

On a 1 year "prove it" deal I'm sure they could.

Randall is okay if he's in the right spot. He cannot be on the outside against 1s. Last season he went from a nobody to being average.

Kevin King has the highest potential if he stays healthy. 

Rollins is pure depth. House I'm not sure should be starting.

They all get the benefit of the doubt playing for a terrible DC though last season.

So there should have been room for Shields.

Sure, if we don't sign anyone else or draft a corner in the first couple rounds, then Shields would have a place. But if we draft a corner in the first 2 rounds, or sign another FA, we will be crowded. I'm just saying I would expect we would add someone without a serious medical red flag, or a draft pick instead

44 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Shields is a grown man. If he passes the physical and wants to play, nobody has any business taking that away from him.

What does that make the person who believes he has the right to control another man's life? If the neurologist clears him, who are you to argue with the doctor or force your beliefs onto another man? It's not your life.

When did I say I had the right to control another man's life or force my beliefs onto another man?

I merely stated my opinion on the matter. As are you to me. Or are you attempting to force your beliefs onto me?

I'm not going to continue to debate this point after this post, so I'll just say my peace and leave. When we're talking about a potentially brain-affecting condition that can affect the judgement of an individual, at some point they need to be protected from themselves. When he was released, there were reports that other teams were not going to pursue him for ethical reasons (mainly for PR). If Shields plays and gets another serious concussion, this will look very bad indeed for the Rams in the midst of all of these CTE and concussion stuff going on in the league right now.

The Rams obviously have a right to not employ someone if they feel that puts that person at a risk of a severe longterm condition. They chose to employ him despite this. This is well within their rights, but I don't have to like it. And I sincerely hope this doesn't end up backfiring.

46 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

When did I say I had the right to control another man's life or force my beliefs onto another man?

I merely stated my opinion on the matter. As are you to me. Or are you attempting to force your beliefs onto me?

I'm not going to continue to debate this point after this post, so I'll just say my peace and leave. When we're talking about a potentially brain-affecting condition that can affect the judgement of an individual, at some point they need to be protected from themselves. When he was released, there were reports that other teams were not going to pursue him for ethical reasons (mainly for PR). If Shields plays and gets another serious concussion, this will look very bad indeed for the Rams in the midst of all of these CTE and concussion stuff going on in the league right now.

The Rams obviously have a right to not employ someone if they feel that puts that person at a risk of a severe longterm condition. They chose to employ him despite this. This is well within their rights, but I don't have to like it. And I sincerely hope this doesn't end up backfiring.

If I am, do I get to call you a scumbags?

Shields knows the risks. He's making his choice. It's not your right, my right, or anyone else's right to "protect him from himself." He doesn't lack the capacity to make this decision.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

If I am, do I get to call you a scumbags?

Shields knows the risks. He's making his choice. It's not your right, my right, or anyone else's right to "protect him from himself." He doesn't lack the capacity to make this decision.

Your opinion of me is not my concern, sir, and you can call me what you want if you see it fit. However, you seem to once again claim I'm saying something that I haven't said.

I never said it wasn't Shields' right to continue to try to play football again. I said he shouldn't for his own health. This is my opinion, and I never presented it as any other way. I have not, and do not, advocate sticking a straightjacket on Shields, bubble wrap him, and lock him away for his own good. I did, however, criticize the Rams' decision to risk signing a player with a potentially serious concussion problem. And unlike what you seem to think, it is once again completely within the Rams' rights to not sign Shields. And no matter what you tend to think, if Shields does get another serious concussion, the Rams will definitely be held partially responsible.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Your opinion of me is not my concern, sir. And you seem to once again say I'm saying something that I haven't said.

I never said it wasn't Shields' right to continue to try to play football again. I said he shouldn't for his own health. This is my opinion, and I never presented it as any other way. I have not, and do not, advocate sticking a straightjacket on Shields and bubble wrap him for his own good. I did, however, criticize the Rams' decision to sign a player with a potentially serious concussion problem. And unlike what you seem to think, it is once again completely within the Rams' rights to not sign Shields.

It's also well within their rights to sign him.   Scumbag is just a strong characterization given that.  We don't have to agree, but understand that's the point being made, nothing more.   

Archived