Mike Clay's pre-season roster rankings

Bolts223

This list is just a rehash of what we see damn near every year from every other prediction that ends up wrong. (Yes I know it's not technically a prediction)

The Giants are sleepers. The Jets are bound for the #1 pick. And the Browns are supposed to take that major leap toward success.

I've read this story before.

Eagles

QB - 3.4 - I think it's only this low due to Wentz coming off of his injury, but I think he'll be good to go Week 1.
RB - 2.2 - We have Ajayi and Clement, who are certain to make the team and be good backs (Ajayi may be gone after this season), we might bring back Darren Sproles on a 1 year deal, we may bring Wendell Smallwood back up the depth chart, we may draft yet another RB in the mid rounds. All in all I think this should be a bit higher
WR - 2.7 - This seems about right, Alshon will likely be a Pro Bowler next year, he played amazingly the second half of the season and post season. Played the whole year on a torn rotator cuff. Agholor is a great slot receiver for us, but Torrey Smith is gone and we do need to figure out what we're doing across from Alshon on the outside. Maybe Mack Hollins, maybe an early-mid pick.
TE - 3.7 - This is too high. We have Ertz who is a top 5 TE in the league yes, but Burton is a FA (who we won't be able to bring back), Celek will be a cap casualty and after that we have a whole bunch of ?s. We often run multiple TE sets so we need to add something here for certain.
OL - 4.0 - Spot on IMO. Even if Peters doesn't return to form. Kelce and Lane Johnson are the best in the league at their respective positions IMO. Brandon Brooks is a top 5-7 Guard in the league. Wisniewski isn't too shabby either. I'm also a huge fan of Halapoulivaati Vaitai. He really improved immensely as the season and post season progressed. Maybe look to add some depth at Guard.
INT - 3.2 - Maybe a tad high. We have one of the best in the game with Fletcher Cox, and a good starter along side him in Jernigan, but Beau Allen is a FA and we may not be able to bring him back, we had 3 or 4 DT's in the rotation last season, and Beau Allen got a significant chunk of the snaps, he will be missed if we lose him. Destiny Vaeo is the next man up, and he has potential but we'll have to see if they opt to make him more prominent in the scheme, or bring in additional manpower.
Edge - 4.0 - This one is the most volatile of all our personnel groups right now. With the Michael Bennett addition, Vinny Curry possibly leaving, Brandon Graham trade rumors, Derek Barnett making the jump in his Sophomore season. Assuming we lose Curry, Chris Long and Brandon Graham are both not under contract in 2019. Who knows how long Bennett will stay with us, so for next season I do think we'll be alright, but it's VERY difficult to tell how they'll move forward with this, even this year. 
LB - 3.0 - Could go up or down depending on whether or not we can retain Bradham. I do think he'll be resigning priority #1, but even then we might not be able to afford him being up against the cap after cuts even. Jordan Hicks is a VERY underrated MLB, he'll be back and healthy next season. Mychal Kendricks is a very good OLB for us, glad we decided not to trade him before 2017.
CB - 2.3 - I think this one is underrated here. Darby is pretty good. Jalen Mills and Rasul Douglas were both solid starting last season. Patrick Robinson is going to be gone yes, but we also have Sidney Jones coming back from his Injury he suffered before the draft in 2017. He would have been the second CB taken in the draft probably in the top 20 if not for this injury. Good potential in that one.
S - 3.0 - Overrated on this one. Malcolm Jenkins despite what was officially handed out, was not a Pro Bowler last season, he was overall good and a leader, but fairly inconsistent. Rodney McLeod is... slightly underwhelming, not terrible, but someone we'll potentially be looking to move on from in 2019. We also have no one really signed behind those two.

I was a little surprised at how poorly he has the 49er safeties ranked, but I suppose it makes some sense with Reid being a FA and Ward / Tartt / Colbert all having pretty limited sample sizes. Also was a little surprised at how low he has the wide receiver corp. Not that we are great or anything like that, but it's pretty solid and I'd argue somewhere around league average at this point. Cornerback is actually higher than I would have expected lol. 

Archived