Talib traded to the Rams

FireVanceJoseph

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, hard to say the team has gotten better (or is a more desirable place for free agents to sign) when you trade a borderline HOF CB. The return is nice, better than I expected, but if I'm a guy like Derek Wolfe or Chris Harris Jr who took a hometown discount to stay here and compete for world championships, I'm not a happy camper right now. 

Eh, that's the nature of the business. They all won a ring together. I obviously agree we'd like to keep the team together, but sometimes it is what it is.

Wolfe may not ever play football again. Harris has the right to be mad about his pay, but he also accepted it. Timing is everything. If Denver drafts a solid young corner, it could be just fine. Look at Marshon Lattimore last year for NO.

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, hard to say the team has gotten better (or is a more desirable place for free agents to sign) when you trade a borderline HOF CB. The return is nice, better than I expected, but if I'm a guy like Derek Wolfe or Chris Harris Jr who took a hometown discount to stay here and compete for world championships, I'm not a happy camper right now. 

Honestly, the fact DEN is going to stick with Wolfe after his neck injury, I doubt he'd complain one bit.   Most teams would be justified in cutting bait and saving the $ on a guy with a neck injury - I doubt he'd get even 6M guaranteed if we cut him.    It shows how the contracts are so team-friendly. 

After last year, the players get we have to overhaul the roster.   It's a business.   At least Elway is deciding now, and not in late August like with Ward (which I understand how it happened completely, they never though S Carter was that good this early).   

We just have to accept that 2019 is our real goal, if it falls together and we make big gains in 2018, great.  But realistically, this is going to take more than 1 offseason to fix.  Elway tried to do the "fix-it right away" approach in the draft....and it blew up in our face in a huge way.   I would be shocked to see him try again.  

In that vein - CJ being gone to me is a foregone conclusion if we're committed to taking RB in the draft.  Can't have 4 RB's, and the other 2 are young and cheap.  CJ's a better player than either...at this stage.  By 2019 though, very iffy given his mileage, and the fact 2017 was his only year's he's stayed healthy all year.   More importantly, we should take advantage of this insane RB depth from the draft class...but that means carrying 4 RB's with CJ.  At his salary #, easy call to wish him well.  He'll catch on somewhere and should still be effective, barring injury (but that's the risk at his mileage/history).

On 3/9/2018 at 11:43 AM, broncos67 said:

Eh, that's the nature of the business. They all won a ring together. I obviously agree we'd like to keep the team together, but sometimes it is what it is.

Wolfe may not ever play football again. Harris has the right to be mad about his pay, but he also accepted it. Timing is everything. If Denver drafts a solid young corner, it could be just fine. Look at Marshon Lattimore last year for NO.

Supposedly Wolfe is feeling better than ever, he said it’s the first time he’s been able to fully turn his neck in a very long time.  I hope it’s true.  

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

What you on about?

I lost respect for Talib. This organization did him right. Paid him and he picks the destination.  Now that I think about it Tebow did as well. So for everyone saying free agents wouldn't want to come here how many organizations treat guys with that level of respect? To do a worse trade? Maybe the NFL is more than a business.

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I lost respect for Talib. This organization did him right. Paid him and he picks the destination.  Now that I think about it Tebow did as well. So for everyone saying free agents wouldn't want to come here how many organizations treat guys with that level of respect? To do a worse trade? Maybe the NFL is more than a business.

Why have you lost respect? Has he complained about being traded or something? 

51 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

He wouldn't go to the niners presumably who had the best deal line up.

Ah right yeah. I don’t really have any problem with that to be honest. He wanted to play for Wade and we were still able to get a 5th round pick. 

15 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Really lose some respect talib wouldn't go to the niners. Could of been a 4th round pick maybe. I just don't get it he got his money san fran will compete.

You should be happy that the team looked out for him. You want to keep your reputation of being a place that players want to play and you want the organization to respect their players, even on their way out.

It's why the TJ Ward cut was annoying to me even though it was the right decision on-field wise (not that it mattered at all, really,  lol). Do things the right way with players and it will pay off in the long run. 

15 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Really lose some respect talib wouldn't go to the niners. Could of been a 4th round pick maybe. I just don't get it he got his money san fran will compete.

Why because Talib didn't look out for the Broncos' needs first?  Come on...he thought about himself first, as he should have.  

16 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Why because Talib didn't look out for the Broncos' needs first?  Come on...he thought about himself first, as he should have.  

If you scrolled down I came around like tebow Elway let talib pick his destination.  Gotta think free agents coming in will respect that. To take a lower pick in order to show loyalty to a player isn't the norm in the NFL.

As it turns out - SF agreed to trade a 4th round 2019 pick to us for Talib.  Given it was a year later, that drops the value of a future pick a full-round.   SF probably won't be a playoff team, but we're likely talking a late teens pick in 4th - which compared to what we got for Rams, is barely any different.

Either way, Elway decided to let Talib's wishes find a better match - which he had no obligation to do.   Given LAR was willing to give pretty much the same value as SF, let's not get carried away with anointing this as proof positive Elway's got the magic formula to rebuild us back.  He did in 2011-2013, and we know his strengths.  He hasn't so far, and his recent draft history is putrid.  This doesn't change those 2 more relevant factors. 

Archived