Broncos trade Aqib Talib to RAMS

RamPackFan

8 minutes ago, I <3 Faulk said:

Tru is a legit #1 corner. He is way more than an okay #2

Yea, this nonsense revisionist history needs to stop. No he probably isnt a Top 10 CB, and was overpaid last year for his production. But he is still a Top 30 guy, especially back in the right system for him.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Yea, this nonsense revisionist history needs to stop. No he probably isnt a Top 10 CB, and was overpaid last year for his production. But he is still a Top 30 guy, especially back in the right system for him.

It's going to happen when a player leaves a team I guess, but people forget that when the Rams chose Tru over Janoris it made sense. It wouldn't have made sense if Tru was nothing more than an okay #2. 

4 hours ago, LARams91 said:

Tru isn't that good....He's an okay #2 corner who wants to be paid like a top 5 guy..

Let's not undersell him here just because he's not going to be back.

Tru's a legit #1 in the right scheme - that's not our scheme.  He was able to perform like a CB1 in Wade's scheme because we were able to give him the necessary safety protection he needs and we had Donald and Brockers who were making a living in opposing backfields and forcing the issue with QB's.

If Tru goes to a team that runs a zone-heavy scheme or even one that runs off-man with a Cover-1 or Cover-3 shell, he'll likely play (close) up to the value of the contract he's seeking.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

We are at about $37m with another easy $10m to cut, and them plenty of other restructure (Saffold) and cut options (Westbrooks, Webster) if need be

Well... in Saffold's case it would be "extend and tweak" rather than a traditional restructure (he has one year left on the deal, there's no moving monies around without adding more years).

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Just for discussions sake, does anyone think Suh could play NT in Wade's defense? What would a 1-2year deal look like?

Yes.  He definitely could.  The caveat was and has always been Suh's mindset - the guy was a gusto/glory player who always wanted to go for the sack and attack rather than holding true to run-defense duties.  Now, he may have outgrown that (Miami's run defense last season, at least from what I saw, would suggest otherwise), but I remember when Suh was coming out, Wade was no longer the Chargers' DC, but they were still running the Phillips-Burroughs under Cottrell and that was where the guys with FFMD stars in their eyes were projecting Suh to play.

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Well... in Saffold's case it would be "extend and tweak" rather than a traditional restructure (he has one year left on the deal, there's no moving monies around without adding more years).

Yes, absolutely. I have been advocating that. He is a very solid guy to have on the line for a few more years. Especially as we work to find our Next LT to replace Whitworth in 2 years.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

We are at about $37m with another easy $10m to cut, and them plenty of other restructure (Saffold) and cut options (Westbrooks, Webster) if need be

Does that *potential $47m (if we cut Barron and Tavon) include Joyners $11m franchise tag? I want to put together a mock and need to nail down some figures first.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yes, absolutely. I have been advocating that. He is a very solid guy to have on the line for a few more years. Especially as we work to find our Next LT to replace Whitworth in 2 years.

Yeah, my hoping (as it's always been something I've advocated) is that we sort out the LG situation for the foreseeable 4 years, because you generally don't want to be breaking in a new LT and LG in the same span, better to have the LG established in the system and the league so that they can help take up some of the slack for the LT or vice-versa.

All that said, Whit - despite his age - has never shown me any sign that he's ready to hang them up.  We've seen OL play to 40 not too long ago if they went their careers without major injury.  I'd be perfectly fine with extending Saffold, even if it means letting Brown walk next season and, with an eye towards the future, looking at an eventual move (back) inside for Whit to LG while his successor at LT cuts his teeth.

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Does that *potential $47m (if we cut Barron and Tavon) include Joyners $11m franchise tag? I want to put together a mock and need to nail down some figures first.

It should.  Spotrac had Joyner's tender counted as of yesterday and they had us projected with just a shade under $36.5 million.

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Yes, includes the additional cash of Joyner+Peters+Talib, as well as taking out Quinn+Ogletree

And for your reference, our Draft picks are between $6-7m

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Whit - despite his age - has never shown me any sign that he's ready to hang them up.

Agreed, I dont think he is necessarily Done after next year (especially if we are winning) but we need to start that transition to a new LT

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Agreed, I dont think he is necessarily Done after next year (especially if we are winning) but we need to start that transition to a new LT

Yes.  Though I look at the transition of a new LT similarly to that of a new QB - you want to get (preferably) at least 3 years of their rookie contract out of them as a starter before having to pay them a market value contract for a starting LT.

26 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yes.  Though I look at the transition of a new LT similarly to that of a new QB - you want to get (preferably) at least 3 years of their rookie contract out of them as a starter before having to pay them a market value contract for a starting LT.

True, but unlike a QB, even that first year before they take over at LT they could provide value at another OL spot. 

I would love to extend Saffold for like 3 more years, find a Future LT next draft and have them take over at RT for Rob, and then LT for Whit in 2020. Then fill in the RG spot on the cheap (maybe thats Brown or Rob back, or another draft pick this year, or one of those cap casualty FA looking for a Ring) for 2019, and possibly sign Whitworth for a final 2 year deal if hes got it left in the tank, and sort out him and Saffold at the Guard spots.

18 hours ago, The LBC said:

Let's not undersell him here just because he's not going to be back.

Tru's a legit #1 in the right scheme - that's not our scheme.  He was able to perform like a CB1 in Wade's scheme because we were able to give him the necessary safety protection he needs and we had Donald and Brockers who were making a living in opposing backfields and forcing the issue with QB's.

If Tru goes to a team that runs a zone-heavy scheme or even one that runs off-man with a Cover-1 or Cover-3 shell, he'll likely play (close) up to the value of the contract he's seeking.

Right...so he's not that good in our system. He was a fine #2 corner in our system. Aqib and Peters are far superior to him in our scheme so it's a no brainer. I love Tru, he's a game changer with his ball skills, but a man cover scheme like we run doesn't fit his strengths, so he's just a decent #2. And a guy who more than likely wants to be paid like a top 5 corner, which doesn't make sense if he doesn't perform like a top 30 guy in our scheme.

Archived