The Lions Den: Visiting Free Agents

X_Factor_40

I wanted to start a stand alone thread where we can talk about who the Lions have brought in for a visit, workout, attempted to lure, etc to Detroit! 

**When sharing news, please provide a source and a link to said source. 

***I will clean this up in the coming days and make this a nice place to talk about who has come to town. In the meantime, start sharing news as you see it!

***We can also open discussion by talking about Free Agents you would like the Lions to Target.

*** I will also keep a list of FA’s dropped by other teams that may interest the Lions, and you can suggest your favorite possibilities. We can then track where they go and keep tabs In here. 

Players who have Signed:

QB: Jake Rudock

WR: TJ Jones (Signed Tender)

RB: LeGarrette Blount (1 Year - $4.5 Million)

RB: Zach Zenner (TBD)

G: Kenny Wiggins (TBD)

DE: Terry Hyder

DE: Ziggy Ansah (Franchise Tag - $17,143,000)

LB: Christian Jones (2 years - ?? Million)

LB: Devon Kennard (3 Years - $18.75 Million)

LB: Nick Bellore (TBD)

CB: Nevin Lawson (2 Years - $10.3 Million)

S: Tavon Wilson (2 Years - $7 Million)

LS: Don Mulbach

RB Jonathan Stewart is visiting the Detroit Lions today, too

Stewart was the 13th overall pick in the 2008 draft, and spent the last 10 years with the Panthers. But he's 31 now, slowed by years of lower body injuries and coming off a season in which he averaged just 3.5 yards per carry. That was a career low.

With Christian McCaffrey now leading their backfield, the Panthers chose to cut Stewart this offseason, and saved $3.7 million in the process.

5a328aef69f77imagejpg-02a64279aa5c47c3.j

RB DeMarco Murray expected to visit Detroit Lions on Monday

Murray, 30, wasn't great last year, when a hamstring injury held him to 659 yards. That was the worst season of his career, and Derrick Henry passed him in the rotation. And Tennessee wound up cutting the former Pro Bowler rather than  paying him.

That makes Murray available to be signed right away, rather than waiting for free agency to open on Wednesday. And the Lions just might be interested in doing it. After all, 659 yards still would have been enough to lead their rotation. And Murray killed it in 2016, piling up 1,287 yards and 12 touchdowns overall.

5991fb8360c8fimage-1jpg-e6120d2de0b1dec0

Definitely hoping we end up landing Malcolm Butler, yesterday it was said it was between Detroit and Houston, Houston just signed Aaron Colvin, hopefully that puts us in the drivers seat for Butler. Though we're bringing in Shead for a visit, might just mean that both teams feel Butler is asking for too much. 

I like the two LB signings for the most part, two young athletic guys, good depth if nothing else. 

Don't think spending money on the older RB's will work out, I'd rather they not sign either of them to be honest.

I like J-Stew in a complimentary role. If he has anything left he could provide a little punch with his size and he has familiarity with the blocking scheme.

The LB signings pretty much take us out of the running for a guy like Evans in the 1st. I'll have to lean towards Payne as my 1st round target now.

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I like J-Stew in a complimentary role. If he has anything left he could provide a little punch with his size and he has familiarity with the blocking scheme.

The LB signings pretty much take us out of the running for a guy like Evans in the 1st. I'll have to lean towards Payne as my 1st round target now.

I'd still take Evans if he's the best available player at #20, if we're going to be running a NE style defense I'd like to see us have 6-8 man rotation at D-Line and 5 man rotation of LB's. Davis, Jones, Kennard, Reeves-Maybin and Evans would be a young core with some potential.

6 minutes ago, DOBSON10 said:

I'd still take Evans if he's the best available player at #20, if we're going to be running a NE style defense I'd like to see us have 6-8 man rotation at D-Line and 5 man rotation of LB's. Davis, Jones, Kennard, Reeves-Maybin and Evans would be a young core with some potential.

Especially if Patricia wants to run some 3-4. We're going to need more than 4 LB on the roster. 

1 minute ago, DOBSON10 said:

Sure, if he's the best guy there by far then it would make sense. We just have a HUGE need on the DL and so far - lost Ngata and retained Hyder. We still really need to fill a spot next to A'Shawn. The LB signings are good AND I still think we'll bring in another guy or two in the draft. It just seems to emphasize our focus on the DL barring really good value at 20.

I suspect we'll sign Butler, Hand and the DT out of Philly (can't remember his name).

I still expect we'll trade down although having the Bills trade up hurts the value a tad.

8 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Especially if Patricia wants to run some 3-4. We're going to need more than 4 LB on the roster. 

We're going to have more than 4 guys on the roster... it just becomes less of an issue to get one in the 1st as opposed to addressing the DL. I really like Evans and would love for him to be on the roster. However, a guy like Payne is not too far off and would address a much larger need.

I'm definitely going Front 7 with the Draft Pick if I'm the Lions, I'd be OK with Landry, Smith, Evans, Bryan, Vander Esch or Payne, though I also like Denzel Ward if we don't land Butler and he slips to #20. I think there are some good options at #20, I agree though that the defensive line needs work. Defensive Front 7 should be the priority #1 the rest of the offseason (and every offseason IMO).

I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk regarding Dontari Poe. I don't know what it would take financially but I'd love to sign Poe and Butler and draft a bunch of defense.

DE-Ansah/rookie

DT-Poe/Spence

DT-A'Shawn/rookie

DE-Hyder/Zettel

WLB-Reeves-Maybin/rookie

MLB-Davis/rookie

SAM-Kennard/Jones

CB-Slay/Tabor 

SS-Wilson/Killebrew

FS-Quin/Diggs

CB-Butler/Agnew/rookie

Archived