The Lions Den: Visiting Free Agents

X_Factor_40

I’d like to see them pick up RB Mike Davis too. Him & Blount would be a good combo to wear down defenses. Not worried who they got so far & who they didn’t get. After the draft, more players will be released & we’ll have cap space to make some moves. Also, something that hasn’t been talked about, i’m Not so sure we already don’t have some players on this team who can be good players if they were taught better. I always thought Caldwell & staff didn’t do that great of a job developing talent. Let’s see what Patricia & staff does in developing players and putting them in better situations. We maybe sitting on undeveloped talent already & Matt can see it.

42 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

HA! Has it? You're confident right now they got better?

Yes I believe they have done just fine. Are all the holes filled? No. Are there plenty of replacements currently in FA? Yes. Will We get additional players to fill needs? Yes. 

We haven’t offered huge contracts to FA that don’t deserve them. Our LB unit has gotten better. Our RB unit has gotten better. We have added nice depth to our OL. We have a just as serviceable CB than the one we have lost. 

And again there are plenty of other players that can help us complete our roster. Many of those who already have scheduled interviews with us. 

To say the roster hasn’t improved over the last couple days is certainly not fair. 

I don't think teams become super bowl contenders in free agency.  If we are going to get to a SB it will be by drafting right and effectively managing the cap.  I think we have done the cap part pretty well.  I think our drafts have gone pretty well.  Now its about developing guys and putting the right system in place which is what they are hoping with Patricia.  I like the moves we have made.  They don't excite me as far as I doubt any of these guys leads us to a SB, but I think all can be a good role player on a SB team. 

36 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think teams become super bowl contenders in free agency.  If we are going to get to a SB it will be by drafting right and effectively managing the cap.  I think we have done the cap part pretty well.  I think our drafts have gone pretty well.  Now its about developing guys and putting the right system in place which is what they are hoping with Patricia.  I like the moves we have made.  They don't excite me as far as I doubt any of these guys leads us to a SB, but I think all can be a good role player on a SB team. 

You think we did the cap well? The price we paid for ansah we could be sitting on a better team.. I'd rather Mathieu And Richardson on one yr deals at almost the same money. Shoot we could of had a brand new dl with that money...

On 3/17/2018 at 4:55 PM, SimbaWho said:

HA! Has it? You're confident right now they got better?

I'm confident that they're building the roster for the long haul. This is exactly what the Patriots do every year. We're just not used to it. If they do this right, and I believe so far they have, and Patricia can coach and lead on his own, I think we're going to be very happy Lions fans for a long time. I've been begging the football Gods for this very scenario to happen, so I'm all in right now. I don't think they're going to roll to a SB or anything next year, but I love what I've seen so far. However, I'm interested to see how they handle the draft and how things play out this year, of course.

1 hour ago, Rockcity2 said:

You think we did the cap well? The price we paid for ansah we could be sitting on a better team.. I'd rather Mathieu And Richardson on one yr deals at almost the same money. Shoot we could of had a brand new dl with that money...

Free Agency is something teams can go to and grab the last couple pieces for their run, or a complete dumpster fire can go to and add overpay for talent. Big names are great. There have been a bunch of guys who could have contributed, but like @Sllim Pickens said, it's about drafting, development, and implementing the system. It's no going to be flashy or exciting all the time. I've also been a Patriots fan my whole life, and I've watched Belichick groom a bunch of guys into stars only to watch them walk when they have to pay them. Half the battle is allocating your resources properly. So far I think they've been doing that well. I know I'm in the minority on some of those thoughts, though. 

3 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

I'd rather keep a guy who was top 10 in the league in sacks last year at a position that is probably our biggest need even with him in the mix.  I'd prefer to get a longer term deal done but am ok with the franchise tag, especially given we don't know if guys like Mathieu and Richardson had any interest of coming here. 

20 hours ago, X_Factor_40 said:

Free Agency is something teams can go to and grab the last couple pieces for their run, or a complete dumpster fire can go to and add overpay for talent. Big names are great. There have been a bunch of guys who could have contributed, but like @Sllim Pickens said, it's about drafting, development, and implementing the system. It's no going to be flashy or exciting all the time. I've also been a Patriots fan my whole life, and I've watched Belichick groom a bunch of guys into stars only to watch them walk when they have to pay them. Half the battle is allocating your resources properly. So far I think they've been doing that well. I know I'm in the minority on some of those thoughts, though. 

Well you wanna translate the Patriots development success to the Lions and... Idk.. that's a HUGE stretch to do imo. Easy to say an relate with cause Patricia comes from NE, and our GM was the assistant GM but both guys aren't BB who is the best coach ever to coach the game... That's a big thing... with the best QB to ever play the game.

I get the correlations between the two organizations and how one wants to act like the other, but the one isn't the same as the former, and the people running it shouldn't act like they're the same.

Lots and Lots of blind faith around here with no results. Infact outside of a completely stellar draft we're looking at 3rd in the division and a top 15 pick!

I will be happy though if they come out swinging with three or four solid draft picks who contribute most or all season and get us into the playoffs... of coarse I'll call him a genius if he makes the playoffs with this offseason and are roster that sucks with the two teams that are in their division. It'll be amazing! Infact at that point I'll get excited for super bowl opportunity then... but honestly outside of injuries(can happen) that's not going to happen lol.

You're all looking through rosey glasses trying to see what you want to see, sipping Kool-Aid acting like we're developing like the Patriots when we look more like the Chargers(one of the cheapest teams in the league) than Patriots team wise, players wise, outside of uppermanagement/coaching personnel.

I don't think anyone thinks we are a super bowl team from these moves.  We just aren't throwing in the towel already.  They have made good moves IMO, that have made the team better without damaging our long term cap situation.  I think everyone is aware we have holes and want them fixed, we just aren't jumping off a cliff because they haven't signed a big name free agent.  I would rather fill all of the holes with guys like we have signed than sign one big name and have to plug fringe NFLers into the rest of the holes.  Fill the holes with decent talent, then draft BPA instead of being forced to draft a single position.  If we don't use the cap wisely, we end up like Washington with a bunch of high priced, underperforming stars surrounded by a sub par cast not making the playoffs.

26 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think anyone thinks we are a super bowl team from these moves.  We just aren't throwing in the towel already.  They have made good moves IMO, that have made the team better without damaging our long term cap situation.  I think everyone is aware we have holes and want them fixed, we just aren't jumping off a cliff because they haven't signed a big name free agent.  I would rather fill all of the holes with guys like we have signed than sign one big name and have to plug fringe NFLers into the rest of the holes.  Fill the holes with decent talent, then draft BPA instead of being forced to draft a single position.  If we don't use the cap wisely, we end up like Washington with a bunch of high priced, underperforming stars surrounded by a sub par cast not making the playoffs.

Who's saying break the bank? A lot of these contracts seem reasonable or short. They are forcing their draft hand there's no way I can see best player available from them..

But it's ok to spend 18mill on one freakin player... 

Archived