The Lions Den: Visiting Free Agents

X_Factor_40

It seems that we're not going to make a big splash in FAgency like we did in previous years.  I think Quinn is being prudent, especially seeing the kind of money being thrown around this year by teams with gobs of cap space.  A lot of the players I thought we'd pursue are signing for way more money than I thought they would get.  ( Fells : 3 yrs/12 mil,  Butler : 5 yrs/61 mil,  Poe : 3 yrs/27+ mil)  That would really eat up the cap, especially after franchising Ansah.  I'm not sure what happened with Ngata.  Maybe he wants to try to get another championship ring before he retires.  It's pretty clear Quinn is going to use the draft to plug the holes we still have on this team.  He trusts Patricia to coach these guys and get the most out of them.

fa

I haven't been thrilled with free agency thus far. I know that you don't build a team through free agency, but you do need to use it to plug some holes and create some quality depth. I'm not sure if the Lions have done enough yet to say that they will certainly be a more talented team than they were in 2017. The draft is obviously the key, but you don't want to be in a position where you have to select players at certain positions. I feel like the Lions absolutely have to find a defensive lineman, interior offensive lineman, and a running back in the draft, and sometimes things don't line up the way that you want them to. There are some other areas of need as well, which hopefully will be addressed relatively soon. The team pretty desperately needs a veteran TE or two, for instance. You don't want to rely on a rookie to do anything at that position. 

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think anyone thinks we are a super bowl team from these moves.  We just aren't throwing in the towel already.  They have made good moves IMO, that have made the team better without damaging our long term cap situation.  I think everyone is aware we have holes and want them fixed, we just aren't jumping off a cliff because they haven't signed a big name free agent.  I would rather fill all of the holes with guys like we have signed than sign one big name and have to plug fringe NFLers into the rest of the holes.  Fill the holes with decent talent, then draft BPA instead of being forced to draft a single position.  If we don't use the cap wisely, we end up like Washington with a bunch of high priced, underperforming stars surrounded by a sub par cast not making the playoffs.

If you're doing a rebuild then you might as well trade Stafford, Jim Caldwell wasn't fired because they thought it was ok to not make the playoffs, and Stafford Window is what in peoples opinion 5 more years? Burn 1 now, so 4?

This sentence is all Kool-Aid man... Not forcing us into a draft situation? Who's our NT? Who's the starting D-line? Who's going to play LG or C, which TE is starting for us? Where is the every down RB we need.

Right this very second, no matter who we sign basically we're pigeon holed into a TE/DL/interior OL when the draft rolls around and probably a RB.

The underlined is literally everyone's, and I mean everyone's only defense but no one is asking him to go pay bad players either! Posters are down right forcing words on to me and saying things I've never said. Lions need good players in here and they're not doing that. I compare this roster to the rest of the league, not what they had last year, and it's not that good. I've never suggested building this team through FA, but adding talent when you're almost there imo is a good strategy! It's not like we don't have super quality stuff in place with our secondary and QB.

You guys are pimping the LB'er additions like we've added pro-bowlers. lol. It's funny to hear how much "pressure" Kennard will generate. Our biggest issue last year with our LB'ing core was coverage, Whitehead was bad, and he's gone, but Davis was worst and he's still here, so bad they started taking him out in obvious passing sitatuions... much like they did with Kennard in New York when he was a Giant. I think they used him mostly as a 2 down WLB in a 4-3 base.

I really, sincerely hope the Lions are good next year, and if something great happens I'll say it. But outside of a great draft we're going no where fast next season. Writers are correlating these moves as good and Patriots like, and people are just eating it up around DET.

Signings last year on the cheap/depth moves.

Akeem Spence

Cornelius Washington

Darren Fells

Paul Worrilow

DJ Hayden

Basically all of them are completely replaceable and make no difference game to game. I don't get peoples infatuations with signing guys that are average by many standards league wide. This year we're basically looking the same. Like why even sign guys like Spence/Washington? Seriously, they drafted Ledbetter who's... just as good! and cheaper!

Should of spent the full 5 or 6 million on a really good player that could of made a difference... or got one really good player and decide on settling for 2 of these 5 instead of investing in all average junk. Easy to say in hindsight right??? Well here I am again, a year later saying it again... How about we sign a player that's actually going to make a big impact on the game week to week.

All of those players helped.  Darren Fells was our best TE last year, Hayden was a very good 3rd CB as noted by his contract he signed this year.  If you want guys at that level, look at the contracts they signed this year to see what they cost.  They are now the 6 mil dollar player you are talking about.  That's what the league has become, so instead of doing that, we are finding those guys again and getting them cheaper based on what Quinn sees in them.  Aside from that, there are about 5 players that really would have been great signings this offseason for us.  We are competing with the rest of the league to try and get those players.  We tried to get Richard Sherman here, we tried to get Jimmy Graham here, rumors are we tried on Richardson and WIlkerson and Suh.  I don't think Quinn is sitting in his office saying, nah we are good but rather trying and not overpaying to get guys here.  We have 15 mil in cap space, 8 mil of that will go to rookies.  We could either use that on 3 average players and draft the best player or use it on one and have two below average players plugged into the those holes.  Football is the ultimate team game and I would rather have average plyers fill holes than trot below average guys out there every game because no one cares if Suh is on your team if he is the only one they have to worry about and can gameplan him out of the game. 

See man like Darren Fells was not our best TE last year, he had 17 catches, under 200 yards with 3 TD's. And Hayden was good but my point is that 3rd CB's on most teams is/are replaceable. We have two solid starters, no reason to break the bank on a 3rd guy with Diggs on the roster. Now the offensive line/D-line. Those need help.

With all contracts finally filed, the NFLPA has the Detroit Lions with $15.4M in cap space. Draft class will use approximately another $2.5M.

I'm still waiting to add in some bonus data for Christian Jones, Blount and Zenner, but that's within a million of my own calculation.

NT Sylvester Williams will be a NICE step towards a positive direction imo on the defense. He SHOULD help out the run defense and be a similar player we lost in Ngata. This signing, depending on the money/ length, etc, will make me smile. It'll make the linebackers better if we can plug in a solid run stuffer like him of Vita Vea.

1 minute ago, SimbaWho said:

See man like Darren Fells was not our best TE last year, he had 17 catches, under 200 yards with 3 TD's. And Hayden was good but my point is that 3rd CB's on most teams is/are replaceable. We have two solid starters, no reason to break the bank on a 3rd guy with Diggs on the roster. Now the offensive line/D-line. Those need help.

NT Sylvester Williams will be a NICE step towards a positive direction imo on the defense. He SHOULD help out the run defense and be a similar player we lost in Ngata. This signing, depending on the money/ length, etc, will make me smile. It'll make the linebackers better if we can plug in a solid run stuffer like him of Vita Vea.

And Fells got how much money with those stats?  And Hayden our replaceable third CB now is getting $6.5 Mil a year, meanwhile we resign our second best CB to less than $5 M per year.  That's being smart with the cap. The guys of Fells/Hayden's skill sets are getting stupid contracts this year.  We spent smart on a couple LBs that fit what we want to do, similar to the deals we got last year in Hayden and Fells.  We are making moves that make sense given our holes and our cap situation.  Simple as that.

12 hours ago, ManeLine said:

Williams is a backup. Much rather have Hankins.

I'd sign them both. We basically have A'Shawn Robinson and Akeem Spence at DT right now. Even though Patricia wants to run a hybrid defense, we need a starter and depth at the position, rotation guys in and out. Hankins is from Dearborn, so we might be able to get a hometown look at the guy, but Sylvester Williams is not a poor player. 

I just realized how many Superbowl champions we've brought to the team in the last few years.

Golden Tate- Seattle

Luke Willson- Seattle

LeGarrette Blount- New England, Philadelphia

Tavon Wilson- New England

T.J. Lang- Green Bay

Haloti Ngata- Baltimore (not re-signed)

DeShawn Shead- Seattle

Then you have guys like Devon Kennard who played for Pete Carroll at USC and the New York Giants surrounded by champs. Rick Wagner was drafted by Baltimore the year after they won and he played for and with champs. 

This pedigree is a tool that Bob Quinn is using to infuse the team with not just talent, but in skill and mindset. This is probably why a character development coach was brought in this offseason as well. 

This offseason has really made me hyper-aware of just how deliberate the predetermined each move Quinn has made truly is. He's just not thorwing names together to see what sticks. He has a plan and vision and is building a team.

ESPN's Field Yates reports free agent DTs Johnathan Hankins and Alan Branch will visit the Lions.

Yates adds that fellow free agent DT Sylvester Williams is also on Detroit's radar. Hankins has visited the Redskins in recent days after being cut by the Colts over the weekend. He'd be a great get for whoever lands him

Just now, flyguy1609 said:

ESPN's Field Yates reports free agent DTs Johnathan Hankins and Alan Branch will visit the Lions.

Yates adds that fellow free agent DT Sylvester Williams is also on Detroit's radar. Hankins has visited the Redskins in recent days after being cut by the Colts over the weekend. He'd be a great get for whoever lands him

Williams visited on Monday and left without a contract but supposedly was deciding between us and another team.

I love hearing that Hankins is coming for a visit. 

I would love to sign both. 

Archived