Marcus Mariota - Camp reports, expectations, previews

titans0021

I"m not doubting him but I hope he doesn't regress like RG3 did after his injuries. From everything I have read though that doesn't seem to be the case thankfully. 

Without good Mariota we may win 1 game but if he shows up to play the sky is the limit. Kind of crazy how much the team relies on him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cian Fahey's write up on Mariota in his QB tier list:

Marcus Mariota

Tier: 2

Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-20.46.26-1024x

Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-20.46.26-1024x

Write-up:

Transitioning to Mike Mularkey’s offense was difficult for Marcus Mariota last season. He opened the regular season with accuracy percentages of 68.42, 80.65, 71.87 and 53.85. That 80.65 came against the Detroit Lions when the Titans spent most of the game chasing a lead, letting Mariota play hurry-up style of offense from shotgun with receivers spread across the field. That’s not the type of offense Mularkey runs. According to Football Outsiders, the Titans led the league in two-tight end/six-linemen formations last year and 23 teams used shotgun/pistol formations more often than them. Mularkey runs a deep drop, vertical passing game that uses eligible receivers as blockers rather than as receivers running routes. It’s why Mariota had a 9.78 average depth of target and threw 62.16 percent of his passes further than five yards downfield. Only Cam Newton and Jameis Winston threw the ball past five yards more often.

Mariota eventually overcame the challenges of executing Mularkey’s offense. He still struggled to hit vertical routes deep but showed off the same qualities that made him so impressive during his rookie season.

During his rookie season Mariota proved to be a nuanced pocket passer. Someone who consistently set and reset in the pocket while diagnosing the coverage downfield. He got through full-field progressions in a timely manner and could deliver the ball accurately against arriving hits. Mariota was an anticipation passer who understood how to drop the ball into soft spots in different zone coverages. When a defender turned his back to the quarterback, Mariota was ruthless attacking him with perfect ball placement. During his second season, Mariota continued to show off exceptional ability as a short and intermediate passer but developed his process in the pocket. Not only was he diagnosing coverages to make good decisions while mitigating pressure with his movement, now he was doing those things and manipulating defenders with his eyes. Mariota began creating throwing lanes that otherwise wouldn’t exist. He was particularly good at this with linebackers who were trying to read his eyes over the middle of the field.

Because of how much he pushed the ball downfield and because his receivers could rarely create separation against aggressive man coverage without their quarterback throwing them open, Mariota played last season with tiny margins for error. His accuracy percentages were muted by the situation, but he still managed to rank average to every level except passed 20 yards. The potential for Mariota to explode statistically in 2017 will hinge on the quality of his rebuilt receiving corps and the stubbornness of his head coach.

Mariota isn’t just the best young quarterback in the NFL, he’s one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

Did you know?

Marcus Mariota threw 17 interceptable passes last year, nine came over the first four games of the season. He didn’t throw an interceptable pass in six of his remaining 11 games.

2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Last year, there was a rookie who didn’t have a car,” said Ben Jones, the Titans’ center. “Marcus found out and he’d drive the rookie back and forth. Even after games, we’d land late at night, he’d go 30 minutes out of his way.”

Who was it?

“He didn’t make the team,” Jones said.

Love him even more....

I'm telling you guys, I spent two years in school with him and NEVER heard 1 bad thing about him. Not 1. He goes out of his way to help people and he doesn't do it for attention. In fact, he doesn't want you to know.

I consider myself a good person and my main goal in life is to make this a better place for undeserved communities, but I am not as pure as Marcus. It is very hard for us mere mortals to understand.

23 hours ago, -Hope- said:

another mariota hype piece here, my goodness: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/05/marcus-mariota-development-tennessee-titans-coaching-staff-jason-michael

this one's a really great look into his relationship with jason michael and provides some really interesting tidbits on how our offense works

I love it. I'm not sure how other teams do it and if it's that detailed, but it sounds great!

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

I'm telling you guys, I spent two years in school with him and NEVER heard 1 bad thing about him. Not 1. He goes out of his way to help people and he doesn't do it for attention. In fact, he doesn't want you to know.

I consider myself a good person and my main goal in life is to make this a better place for undeserved communities, but I am not as pure as Marcus. It is very hard for us mere mortals to understand.

I think I love him lol

Archived