Great DLine vs Great Secondary

bosko1616

I know there’s multiple ways to build a defense. One that not only last but is consistent and affective. The reason I bring up the Dline vs Secondary debate because I find a lot of mocks investing heavily in the secondary because most probably believe our Dline is skilled enough to not need to be upgraded and our secondary is sourly lacking talent and needs a huge upgrade.  But I’m here to pose the question can a Dline that runs 8 deep make average corners look great ? You look at where we’re at and our Dline is much much closer to being elite then our secondary is. That’s why it would not only be quicker but possibly more affective to stack the Dline similar to the eagles who just recently one the Super Bowl  with nothing special at corner. If we were to invest possible in three new players on the Dline while slightly upgrading the secondary I think our defense can go from top 15 to top 5 without a true number one corner. For. Instance in free Agency let’s say we grab Dee Ford DE and Vinny Curry DE to backup Garrett and Ogbah then possibly grab a Maurice Hurst in the 2nd to possibly upgrade meder or Conley. As for the secondary forget the huge contracts for Johnson or Butler. Let’s sign Brashaad Breeland,Phillip Gaines, and draft maybe Jessie Bates either in the late 2nd early 3rd. Too me I think this would be not only the quickest but the most effective long term as we would be able to plug and play on the secondary and make them look good. But I pose the question which one Do u want 

It’s a tough debate. While I think our pass rush can take it to another step, I think DB should be a higher priority than DL right now. At times, it was painful last year. People would be wide open on 3-5 step drops consistently. A ferocious pass rush would not have even mattered. 

The easy answer is that improving both would be preferred. If you made me choose, I’d say improve the DBs, and I have enough hopes in our young DLs ability to rush the passer. Another piece or two and they could be set. With Garrett, should already have one A1 guy.

The reality is, on our secondary, we have a bunch of castoffs and backup caliber players who aren't good enough to start anywhere else, combined with a defensive Front 7 that was top half of the league.

Secondary is arguably the worst/one of the worst in the entire league and needs addressed ASAP.

Both are just as important

Great Defensive line:

-Shortens window to find read 

-Will move QB off their landmark

-After a while, the QB will start watching the rush as opposed to watching the field

Great Defensive field:

-Blankets the whole back half 

-Buys extra time for the rush to get home 

If only it were that simple. The question of which is more important is going to vary from opponent to opponent. If you are playing a QB who likes to press vertical then a pass rush is easily going to trump your secondary in regards to which you need the most out of on game day. If you are playing a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning type QB that thrives on rhythm and timing then you want your DBs to be disruptive and throw off that timing. There is a reason why those two QBs where always in the Top 3-5 least sacked and it wasn't a dominant OL. It was because they knew where they were going with the ball and got it out of their hands extremely quickly.

I dont see us needing to draft anything on the Dline at DT.....we could use an upgrade at DE/DPR/Edge type of player. With our DT rotation of Shelton, Coley, Ogunjobi and Caleb Brantley, I think we have one of the best young DT rotations in the leauge...Ogbah is a dual player..top 5 vs the run and 10 sack a year guy. Miles is a stud, and Nassib I dont think is going to develop into much more than he is, but he is a solid rotation guy/spot starter. I say upgrade at pass rusher can be had on either of the 3 days of the draft....just depends who we get the value for...

3 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Complete defenses wins championships. You need both. Any QB will pick you apart if you give him all day. AND a pass rush is worthless if the QB has wide open WRs to throw to. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

You can cover up some stuff with scheme but there will always be a chink in your armor. Still, if you have a good pass rush and you play your DBs off you are just wasting your time. You may get beat over the top at times playing press or tight coverage but you can potentially be dominant the rest of the time and you do make the QB have to be accurate down the field. Our pass rush may have looked better last year if we didn't play off the WRs so much.

Give me a top level d-line over a top level secondary any day of the week. The more I think about it, the more I salivate at adding Chubb to the mix and really get after QBs. That being said, though, we really do need to upgrade our secondary to make them even marginally competent.

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

not tough for me, take great D line any day.

All day everyday 

D line effects the run and pass directly 

QB hits, QB hurries, Sacks, forced Fumbles, TFLs, less injuries, longer career span 

all that

We had the best pass defense in the league in 2014 and we sucked

get me pass rushers and run stoppers and I’ll win more games than your DBs will 

Archived