Panthers trading CB Daryl Worley to Eagles in exchange for WR Torrey Smith

49erurtaza

Trading a young player with starting experience on a cheap contract for a one trick pony past his prime with a bloated salary who was gonna get cut.

Nice work Hurney

Props to Howie for convincing him that Smith was worth anything.

50 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Eagles making cap space.

From what I've heard, it doesn't count until the new league year begins. So it doesn't help us with our mission to become cap compliant, but it will be money that can be spent once Free Agency begins.

19 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Trading a young player with starting experience on a cheap contract for a one trick pony past his prime with a bloated salary who was gonna get cut.

Nice work Hurney

Props to Howie for convincing him that Smith was worth anything.

I mean for both teams, either player can be cut without concern. For the Eagles, they got something for nothing.

26 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Lol are you taking about the Eagles???

21 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

No he means the panthers howie is executive of the year reigning I don't think anyone has anything bad to say of him right now

Hurney was the CAR GM before Gettleman replaced him.   To say it's uninspired is an understatement.   

The only way this could get any worse re-tread wise is if Rivera got fired after 2018, and was replaced with Jeff Fisher.  He'd probably announce that Cam would be moved to punter, since that's apparently the most important part of the O.

Besides this being, just in general, a bad trade for the Panthers, it is a continuation of the behavior Hurney showed in his previous stint as Carolina GM of getting them into massive cap hell. This is more of a symbolic move indicative of that, since I'm pretty sure Smith doesn't have any guaranteed money left on his contract anyway, but trading a young, cheap player for a way past his prime, much more expensive player is not a good sign of what's to come or of lessons learned. The Eagles cap situation is well documented. Smith was going to be cut if a trade partner couldn't be found. Hurney could have kept Worley and had Smith on a cheaper deal, albeit with some guaranteed money he would be on the hook for im whatever new contract Smith signed. 

There's something to be said about "getting your guy", but I don't see a single positive thing about this trade for the Panthers.

Archived