Good New Everybody!

warfelg

31 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

We have seen them ignore positions before.

I mean, it all depends on what's happening and how the draft falls as always. They aren't going to draft crappy players just to draft a position...which is why they make moves like this to ensure they have players at every spot -- regardless of how awesome we think they are. 

10 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

While I can appreciate that, we have missed on some significant picks while better players at need positions were still on the board. Jarvis Jones comes to mind.

And that's a scouting issue not a GM ignoring a position issue.

59 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

While I can appreciate that, we have missed on some significant picks while better players at need positions were still on the board. Jarvis Jones comes to mind.

Everybody misses picks...it happens. That's not a reflection of them ignoring anything. I would actually think that example stenthens the desire to have guys in every slot prior to the draft. Jones was a need based pick that didn't work out rather than a pick based on greatest talent  

End of the day, it's unfair to not be in the rooms and discussions and say we are "ignoring" things. I would bet willingly that that is not the case - rather a case of value and talent evaluations. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Everybody misses picks...it happens. That's not a reflection of them ignoring anything. I would actually think that example stenthens the desire to have guys in every slot prior to the draft. Jones was a need based pick that didn't work out rather than a pick based on greatest talent  

End of the day, it's unfair to not be in the rooms and discussions and say we are "ignoring" things. I would bet willingly that that is not the case - rather a case of value and talent evaluations. 

What I'm saying is, for several years in a row the team seemingly ignored the OL Positions, until they finally started drafting them.  I'm just not completely convinced they'll make Safety a priority in the draft.  No, you don't take a guy that isn't worth the pick you have but this defense, we need an ILB and S, if Evans is on the board at 28, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't the pick.

If he isn't, I think given how deep the Safety position is, you consider (if there isn't another ILB you love) trading back and acquiring 2-3 more picks.  When this draft is done and over with, they need to nail their first 3 picks.

35 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

What I'm saying is, for several years in a row the team seemingly ignored the OL Positions, until they finally started drafting them.  I'm just not completely convinced they'll make Safety a priority in the draft.  No, you don't take a guy that isn't worth the pick you have but this defense, we need an ILB and S, if Evans is on the board at 28, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't the pick.

If he isn't, I think given how deep the Safety position is, you consider (if there isn't another ILB you love) trading back and acquiring 2-3 more picks.  When this draft is done and over with, they need to nail their first 3 picks.

I have to laugh every time I hear the “trading back” line.  While it seems so logical and easy to the fans, I think it has been said every time we pick in the bottom 10-12 picks. It never happens.

1 minute ago, Blitzburgh said:

I have to laugh every time I hear the “trading back” line.  While it seems so logical and easy to the fans, I think it has been said every time we pick in the bottom 10-12 picks. It never happens.

I get it requires someone interested but it's a legit option. You don't force a pick if you dont have to

When it's done and said, I do really think we will draft Justin Reid. He's just too good to pass on. Having him and Sean Davis and deciding which position is best is actually a good problem to have. This gives us more versatility. 

I would take Bates over both of them. 

Reid has the athletic ability but not the instincts and skills to cover.  Reid will draw a lot of penalties until he learns not to grab.  He also plays slower than he times because of his lack of instincts.

Harrison would be fine but is not a centerfield type safety.

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would take Bates over both of them. 

Reid has the athletic ability but not the instincts and skills to cover.  Reid will draw a lot of penalties until he learns not to grab.  He also plays slower than he times because of his lack of instincts.

Harrison would be fine but is not a centerfield type safety.

There aren't many of these in this draft.  I think in stead of going CF Safety type, we might be better off going with one of the flexible cover 2 types and pair him with Sean Davis and have two well rounded safeties.

37 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There aren't many of these in this draft.  I think in stead of going CF Safety type, we might be better off going with one of the flexible cover 2 types and pair him with Sean Davis and have two well rounded safeties.

Only if they change the coverage scheme.  Michell played a lot of high safety coverage and his lack of range showed.  I like Bates because he is the better CF safety.  Reid could be but he will play slower than he is timed because of his lack of instincts.

Archived