Let's Delve Into Dalvin Cook

Klomp

Mike Zimmer: “The first thing the veteran players I’ve talked to about him say is, ‘This guy gets it.' He understands protections, he works hard, they see how he interacts in the locker room, and that’s part of it. And then, when you have a special player—like when we got [linebacker Anthony] Barr—they say, ‘Hey, man, this guy is different than other guys.’

“That’s kinda how he is. They see him out there on the field with the other guys, and it’s like, ‘There’s something different about this guy, the way he runs, accelerates, the creases he can get to.’ He’s got a tough mentality. Players can see exceptional athletes. When they go out there and they’re going against guys, they can see: This guy is pretty good.”

Rick Spielman“I’ve been pretty fortunate in my career. From Detroit, when I was starting out, watching Barry Sanders; to Miami, when we traded for Ricky Williams and he was rolling for 1,700, 1,800 yards a year; to Adrian, when we drafted him here. Dalvin Cook, I don’t know where he’s gonna be, if he’ll get to that level, but he has shown traits, a unique skill set, from what we’ve seen so far.”

If Cook can stay out of trouble and avoid associating himself with the people that have gotten him into trouble, the guy will be special. 

His combine performance still baffles me, because I don't think I've ever watched a back with the quickness, and smooth agility that Cook demonstrates on the football field. 

After 10 years of watching Adrian Peterson, Cook is going to be a fun player to watch. Like Peterson, Cook has that same explosive ability to break off a big play, and score from anywhere on the field. But he does it with a completely different style and skill set. 

I really do believe that we have the next Marshall Faulk/Edgerrin James lining up in our backfield. 

Edited by SemperFeist

This is from an old article that was published at the start of camp, but man I thought this answer was really good.

“That’s what I pride my game on — with my eyes, putting my body in the right position. It starts with your eyes, man. Once you put your body in the right position, that’s when I let my talent take over. My speed, me just being athletic and versatile, so my eyes are the key to my game. I just think where I come from, you see a lot of stuff and you have to be aware of everything. That’s just being aware of my surroundings. That’s where I think my vision came from. It’s bigger than football.”

http://www.startribune.com/a-conversation-with-vikings-dalvin-cook-replacing-peterson-maturing-and-fishing/436616363/

Just watched his FSU highlights. Never thought he'd be there in the second round, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to him. After watching his highlights, you see tremendous feet, balance, speed, and quickness. I'm excited to see how these skill sets translates to the NFL. 

7 minutes ago, Phire said:

Dalvin's character concerns were way overblown. I hope he blows up and laughs in everyone's faces. 

But that's just me as a biased FSU alum ?

I'm not an alum and everything I ever heard about the situation, I just said "What's the big deal?" to myself, as it had been 3 years since any of those incidents occurred.  He had been clean since that time. 

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

I'm not an alum and everything I ever heard about the situation, I just said "What's the big deal?" to myself, as it had been 3 years since any of those incidents occurred.  He had been clean since that time. 

Yeah, I think he's a safer "risk" than Mixon. I think his problems were just Florida related. 

He'll be fine in Minnesota.