Let's Delve Into Dalvin Cook

Klomp

20 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Had he not, he probably would have been better than he was, but your point is clear.

Are human knees not meant to do the things that NFL players do? Or is it that knees are physiologically weak by nature? I've always wondered why this body part.

I'm not a doctor but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the human body isn't set up for a muscle bound 220 pounder to be running at high speeds and try and change directions in a split second to run away from an even bigger muscle bound guy running at a high speed.

Same with an arm not being set up for throwing baseballs at 95 mph....

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I feel like it'd have more to do with the training. Do they do anything to strengthen the ligament? All of the extra muscle probably puts a lot of extra stress on the ACL. Im no doctor though.

There isn't really anything you can do to strengthen a ligament it is what it is. Muscles are actually the main stabilizers of the knee so the only way the muscles would cause extra stress is even he had imbalances between the muscle groups in his leg.

The ligaments around the knee are very strong. To the point where they did tests and the IT Band could hold two automobiles together without snapping. Sometimes the power and torque along with disfunction in a running and cutting motion can put the ligaments in position to be injured.

Its one of those things where you won't know what your knee can withstand because every cut, position, angle, is always different, and the power you deliver on a given movement varies depending on the environmental factors at hand.

I want to go back and watch his combine footage. I went back and watched some footage of RG3 in the combines and I listened to a lecture from a Physiotherapist that freeze framed his landing, and running motion and could pretty much point out what was weak, or what movements showed disfunction.

On 10/2/2017 at 3:26 PM, HEYPAUL! said:

The ligaments around the knee are very strong. To the point where they did tests and the IT Band could hold two automobiles together without snapping. Sometimes the power and torque along with disfunction in a running and cutting motion can put the ligaments in position to be injured.

Its one of those things where you won't know what your knee can withstand because every cut, position, angle, is always different, and the power you deliver on a given movement varies depending on the environmental factors at hand.

I want to go back and watch his combine footage. I went back and watched some footage of RG3 in the combines and I listened to a lecture from a Physiotherapist that freeze framed his landing, and running motion and could pretty much point out what was weak, or what movements showed disfunction.

Is there a link anywhere for that lecture?

On 10/2/2017 at 2:26 PM, HEYPAUL! said:

I don't think it took any doctor to watch what he did in college, and his body type to see there was a good possibility of injury to him eventually playing like that in his career.

Not shocking, but still stinks it had to happen this early in the career.

12 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I don't think it took any doctor to watch what he did in college, and his body type to see there was a good possibility of injury to him eventually playing like that in his career.

Why not in college?  turf difference?  I know not of the turf on which he played in college; i.e. too many games on the road.  Anyone have an opinion on the turf in the Dayton Dome?

21 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Definitely doesnt take a doctor. Anyone with biomechanical knowledge can watch footage of combines and assess Run gait, landing foot placement, internal and external rotation of the femur in relation to the knee, etc.

Simply looking at someone's body type doesnt really tell you much in relation to risk of knee injury. Body alignment, for sure though.

Edited by HEYPAUL!

Vikings rookie running back Dalvin Cook underwent surgery Monday to repair a torn left ACL suffered during an Oct. 1 game. The procedure was done by noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews in Gulf Breeze, Fla. A source had said the surgery went well and there is a “100 percent” chance he will be recovered by the start of next season. Vikings athletic trainer Eric Sugarman concurred.

Sugarman: “No real further damage in his knee, thankfully. Pretty straight ACL. And I’d hope to expect him at training camp next year.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/10/vikings-rb-dalvin-cook-undergoes-successful-acl-surgery/

• 1 month later...