Let's Delve Into Dalvin Cook

Klomp

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Cook was very effective in short yardage situations, and he’s very proficient in pass protection.

Cook was hardly used in short yardage situations. Only had 6 carries with 3 or less yards to go:

• 10 yards on 3rd-1 vs Saints
  • no gain on 1st-goal from the 1, then 1 yard TD on 2nd-goal vs Bucs
  • 3 yards on 2nd-1 vs Bucs
  • 4 yards on 2nd-1 vs Bucs
  • 4 yards on 2nd-1 vs Lions

Half of those carries were 2nd-1, which isn't really a short yardage down. Of the other 3, he had a no gain, a short yardage TD, and a 10 yard gain. That's nice production, but it's a super small sample size. 

I expect Murray will get most of the work as a goalline / short yardage back this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dalvin Cook is getting healthier. The Vikings running back had been limited in practice throughout the first two weeks of OTAs, but took a step forward this week when he began participating in team drills. Cook called the extended work “a milestone” in his recovery from a torn ACL suffered in Week 4 of the 2017 season against Detroit.

The 2017 second-round pick showed off his versatility by taking a handoff and running routes against the first-team defense, but he also stepped up in pass protection to block a blitzing Anthony Barr in the red zone.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Cousins-Carlson-Deliver-for-Vikings-in-2-Minute-Drill/54e67f41-5c84-4974-9d15-e0fa79c53351?sf191125817=1

Cook is eager to work under new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo, not only carrying the ball out of the backfield but participating more in the passing attack as well.

Cook: “It’s an offense that I’ve always wanted to be in. Coach DeFilippo just wants to get his guys in space and give them the ball. Let us make plays. He just wants us to run free. There’s a lot of green grass for everybody on the field for us to run, so we’ve just got to go out there and make plays for him because he’s going to call the right stuff.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/05/rehabbing-vikings-rb-dalvin-cook-im-still-that-same-guy/

On Wednesday, we rolled out our predictions for team MVPs in the AFC. Now it's the NFC's turn. A reminder: Don't @ me. Everything I've written here will be proven this autumn to be a 100 percent accurate and unimpeachable piece of springtime professional football analysis. To the list ...

Minnesota Vikings: Dalvin Cook, RB

In a parallel universe, Cook's knee doesn't blow out last October, and he and Alvin Kamara are battling for Offensive Rookie Of The Year honors down the stretch. It didn't work out that way, of course, but Cook was on pace for Kamara-like greatness before disaster struck.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936199/article/2018-nfl-season-predicting-every-nfc-teams-mvp

I honestly wonder how much different this team would have looked with Dalvin. I also wonder how much less money McKinnon would have been making this year. 

Dalvin was basically taking more and more carries from the other two backs. 

I’m so excited, hopefully he can come back better than ever

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I honestly wonder how much different this team would have looked with Dalvin. I also wonder how much less money McKinnon would have been making this year. 

Dalvin was basically taking more and more carries from the other two backs. 

I’m so excited, hopefully he can come back better than ever

I honestly think that the team would not have been as good. 

The approach and philosophy on offense would have been very different, imo. The team would have run the entire offense through Cook, running him into the ground, rather than having to rely on Keenum and run the offense through the QB. 

I think the offense would have looked very similar to 2015. 

Edited by SemperFeist