Let's Delve Into Dalvin Cook

Klomp

19 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

So I'm starting to wonder... Everyone mentions Kubiak but very few people mention stefanski

That shouldn't come as a tremendous surprise...while Stefanski is really the one that develops the entire game-plan, Kubiak is the guy that probably is in on everything, since he's the advisor/consultant and technically is higher on the food chain, since he's also the assistant HC.  

Edited by swede700

• 4 weeks later...

Dalvin Cook seems to be a Minnesota Vikings player that may benefit the most from where the offense is going under the direction of Kevin Stefanski and Gary Kubiak, leading many to believe that he could be a player this season that puts it all together and establishes himself as one of the best in the league. Pro Football Focus' Austin Gayle agrees, calling Cook a "dark horse" for top honors among running backs in the NFL in 2019.

"In his two injury-plagued seasons in the NFL, the former Seminoles standout has averaged 0.25 forced missed tackles per touch, a mark that leads all 85 NFL backs with 100 or more touches since 2017. He also ranks 18th among the same group of backs in yards after contact per touch (3.0).

Recovering from his latest ailment (hamstring) down the stretch of last season (Weeks 13-17), Cook earned an 87.4 overall grade and an 86.9 rushing grade, respectively ranking sixth and third among backs with 100 or more offensive snaps in the five-week span. He and [Tennessee’s] Derrick Henry ranked tied for first in forced missed tackles per rush (0.26) in said span, and Cook ranked tied for fourth with longtime NFL great Adrian Peterson in yards after contact per rush (3.6)."

"Much of the same has followed Cook to the NFL, as his 9.5 yards after the catch per reception average over the past two seasons ranks tied for 11th among the 87 running backs with 25 or more targets in the two-year span. And he ranks second in forced missed tackles per reception (0.43) among backs with 30 or more receptions since 2017."

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Dalvin-Cook-running-back-ranking-Pro-Football-Focus-132093502/

On 2019-04-19 at 10:33 AM, vikingsrule said:

Need to get him some help up front first.

They did. 

Kubiak style ZBS scheme. Bradbury is just about ideal as the C. Elflein should be good too if he rebounds physically. O’Neill should be a good zone blocking tackle once he gets some coaching. Reiff and Kline fit the scheme. Samia is another excellent fit. 

PFF are very high on him this year:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-a-healthy-dalvin-cook-is-a-dark-horse-for-top-running-back-honors-in-the-nfl

In his two injury-plagued seasons in the NFL, the former Seminole standout has averaged 0.25 forced missed tackles per touch, a mark that leads all 85 NFL backs with 100 or more touches since 2017. He also ranks 18th among the same group of backs in yards after contact per touch (3.0).

Recovering from his latest ailment (hamstring) down the stretch of last season (Weeks 13-17), Cook earned an 87.4 overall grade and an 86.9 rushing grade, respectively ranking sixth and third among backs with 100 or more offensive snaps in the five-week span. He and Tennessee Titans’ Derrick Henry ranked tied for first in forced missed tackles per rush (0.26) in said span, and Cook ranked tied for fourth with longtime NFL great Adrian Peterson in yards after contact per rush (3.6).

Kubiak and Stefanski are expected to lean on outside zone as the team’s primary run concept in 2019, creating a dream scenario for Cook. Of the 40 NFL backs with 50 or more attempts in outside zone since 2017, Cook ranks fifth in rushing grade (80.1) and tied for second with New Orleans Saints’ Alvin Kamara in yards per carry (5.4). And Cook’s 79.3 career rushing grade in outside zone concepts at Florida State ranks tied for sixth among qualifying backs in the PFF College era, rushing for 704 yards and nine touchdowns across 128 attempts (5.5 YPC) in the process.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't care if its Cook, Mattinson, Abdullah, Boone or Thomas. I just want to see a RB step up for us this year.

No worries, son. Cook will be dynamic barring injury; Mattison Will also be impactful, regardless. Gonna be a special year, SK!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Shamar Stephen kept Dalvin Cook on his toes on Tuesday. The first play of team drills was a Cook run to the left that went for a handful of yards. But the running back kept jogging to try and extend the play, unaware that the run-stuffing defensive tackle was coming from his right. Stephen snuck up to Cook with nobody else around and punched the ball away from Cook, getting a good laugh out of the sequence.

Cook learned his lesson, as he kept the ball high and tight the rest of practice, even as Stephen tried unsuccessfully to knock the ball free on multiple occasions.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-dan-bailey-goes-7-for-7-kicks-training-camp?sf217487074=1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do hope he can stay healthy for an entire season.  That would be so helpful to the rest of the team.  Everybody has continued to tell me he's dynamic, but I didn't watch him at FSU and he hasn't been healthy enough his entire tenure here, so I've yet to see it.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, swede700 said:

I do hope he can stay healthy for an entire season.  That would be so helpful to the rest of the team.  Everybody has continued to tell me he's dynamic, but I didn't watch him at FSU and he hasn't been healthy enough his entire tenure here, so I've yet to see it.  

I agree. Injuries have really hurt Cook's career. I think he's got one more chance to prove he can be healthy. Could very well see Mattison in the near future.