Let's Delve Into Dalvin Cook

Klomp

On 8/5/2017 at 2:45 PM, SemperFeist said:

Cook has been getting some pretty high praise over his pass protection. I'm not too sure that we'll be seeing him come off the field that often on 3rd downs. 

A good blocker and good, sure handed re ceiver who can make a lot of yardage after the catch given space to build up momentum, and he makes fast cuts in traffic.  I think he's going to be in on most of The 3rd Downs.

1 hour ago, Robb_K said:

A good blocker and good, sure handed re ceiver who can make a lot of yardage after the catch given space to build up momentum, and he makes fast cuts in traffic.  I think he's going to be in on most of The 3rd Downs.

He's a 3 down back for sure. Excited to see him tear it up this year.

36 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

He's a 3 down back for sure. Excited to see him tear it up this year.

That may depend on how they use him. I watched him on The Film Room and Brett Kollman pointed out that he doesn't always have enough power or explosiveness to just hammer his way up the middle like a Leonard Fournette. He's most effective in space where he can make guys miss, slip through gaps in the defense, and also be a receiving threat. We might have more success using Cook on 1st and 2nd down, then bringing in Murray on 3rd and short.

Edited by y*so*blu

26 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

That may depend on how they use him. I watched him on The Film Room and Brett Kollman pointed out that he doesn't always have enough power or explosiveness to just hammer his way up the middle like a Leonard Fournette. He's most effective in space where he can make guys miss, slip through gaps in the defense, and also be a receiving threat. We might have more success using Cook on 1st and 2nd down, then bringing in Murray on 3rd and short.

Yes, for 3rd and 1,2 and 3 yards use Murray, but use Cook on 3rd and 4 and above.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm curious to see how the reps are going to be split between Cook and Murray. It's hard to not see Cook as the opening day starter.

It depends a lot on Cook's ability to pass protect. He had a couple problems with that in the first preseason game but looked much better in the second game. From what I have read, Murray was solid in pass protection when he was with the Raiders. If he looks significantly better than cook in that regard he'll get his share of work. If not, I think we'll be seeing a lot of Cook.

7 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

It depends a lot on Cook's ability to pass protect. He had a couple problems with that in the first preseason game but looked much better in the second game. From what I have read, Murray was solid in pass protection when he was with the Raiders. If he looks significantly better than cook in that regard he'll get his share of work. If not, I think we'll be seeing a lot of Cook.

I think we will see Cook often on early down but Murray is probably the opening day third down RB because he does pass protect well.

16 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Good eye, bad angle.  He cuts in front of SB, so the play spirals out of synch because SB momentarily loses sight of receivers and doesn't have the ability to step up into the pocket.

In a half second, the RT is pushed into him and ... sack.   Looping behind SB would have been better... hopefully DC learns blocking motion angles.