Dune, (Villeneuve version)

vike daddy

Denis Villeneuve is taking his Dune adaptation very seriously and has announced that it will be at least two movies, possibly more. This should be reassuring news for fans of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel, which is over 400 pages long. While David Lynch's 1984 film has its charms, it really doesn't do the original source material justice and fans have been waiting for over 30 years for a proper adaptation. Villeneuve is one of those fans and says that he wants his version to be the movie that he always envisioned.

https://movieweb.com/dune-movie-reboot-sequel-plans/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We had a thread for this somewhere.  Extremely excited for this one.  Dune is probably my favorite science fiction novel ever. 

Old forum maybe, dont see any in the new world. 

Not going to get my hopes up just yet

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson, who collaborated on the Dune prequel book series, recently took to social media to announce that they will be consultants and producers on Denis Villeneuve's Dune project, which may or may not end up as a franchise. Villeneuve has hinted that the project could be more than one movie when he declared that his version of the iconic source material will be like a "Star Wars, but for adults." This comment sparked some outrage from current adult fans of the Star Wars franchise, but the director's comments were more about the tone of the movie, while taking an ever so subtle jab at the Star Wars universe.

Brian Herbert, who is the son of Dune author Frank Herbert and the gatekeeper of the property, announced via Twitter that he and Kevin J. Anderson would be joining the Blade Runner 2049 director on his take on the massive novel.

https://movieweb.com/dune-remake-consultants-brian-herbert-kevin-j-anderson/

• Like 1

Just now, vike daddy said:

Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson, who collaborated on the Dune prequel book series, recently took to social media to announce that they will be consultants and producers on Denis Villeneuve's Dune project, which may or may not end up as a franchise. Villeneuve has hinted that the project could be more than one movie when he declared that his version of the iconic source material will be like a "Star Wars, but for adults." This comment sparked some outrage from current adult fans of the Star Wars franchise, but the director's comments were more about the tone of the movie, while taking an ever so subtle jab at the Star Wars universe.

Brian Herbert, who is the son of Dune author Frank Herbert and the gatekeeper of the property, announced via Twitter that he and Kevin J. Anderson would be joining the Blade Runner 2049 director on his take on the massive novel.

https://movieweb.com/dune-remake-consultants-brian-herbert-kevin-j-anderson/

I still have never read Brian Herbert's novels.  Something about him bringing back Jessica and a whole bunch of other characters that had been dead for tens of thousands of years just didn't seem like the type of thing Frank was planning on. 

I'm really excited for this still.  I'm just really nervous that it won't resonate with fans. 

Come on, everybody.  Talk about it.  Who do you think they'll cast for Duncan?  Do you think they'll recast him for the second movie if there is a second movie, or cast somebody really famous to play him so that...

I don't know how to do spoilers, but highlight below for spoilers:

...the audience is surprised when he dies so suddenly in the first one?

On 3/30/2018 at 6:06 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I still have never read Brian Herbert's novels. 

some of them were very interesting and creative, dealing with backstories and side characters and how they developed:

• Fenring and the young Shaddam padishah emperor-to-be assassinating the present emperor
  • Edric, who was a normal human, entering the Guild and becoming a spice mutated navigator
  • a Harkonnen brother of Vladimir who wasn't corrupt, and lived separately from the family. he lived on a colder watery world, where the product they harvest was the fur from whales. the Baron stole spice from Arrakis and hid it on his brother's world in hollowed out icebergs.
Edited by vike daddy

I'm fairly excited for this. I watched the original movie when I was a kid so I vaguely remember it. I don't think I ever finished the book. But I absolutely loved playing Dune on Sega Genesis and later Dune 2000 on PS1.

Barring the trailer looking like complete CGI crap, I'll definitely see it in theaters.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2018 at 8:06 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I still have never read Brian Herbert's novels.  Something about him bringing back Jessica and a whole bunch of other characters that had been dead for tens of thousands of years just didn't seem like the type of thing Frank was planning on. 

I'm really excited for this still.  I'm just really nervous that it won't resonate with fans. 

I read the first few and couldn't do any more.  I did not enjoy them.

What is the scope of these movies?  Are they just covering Dune, or more of the books?

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

I read the first few and couldn't do any more.  I did not enjoy them.

What is the scope of these movies?  Are they just covering Dune, or more of the books?

What's really exciting is that it's been confirmed Dune is getting split into two movies.  Other than that, every report I've read says there could be more depending on the success of the first two.  

I loved Dune and the book after that, bu the rest of them got to weird. 

I loved everything about Dune, a part from spice tripping. If spice was more like an amphetamine rather than a hallucinogen I think i would of 'believed' the story more.  This wouldn't of worked for what Herbert wanted to get more into down the line though. 

• Like 1

Don't want to spoil it for others who haven't seen it, but I'm so excited for this movie because it could be the sci fi version of Game of Thrones.  Some of the early deaths are as shocking as things in Game of Thrones.  I hope they really advertise those characters heavily in the marketing campaign just for that shock when all **** hits the fan early and you're left wondering... Well WTF?  That period of absolute confusion and shock will go down as one of my most intense and favorite reading experiences of my life.