Dune, (Villeneuve version)

vike daddy

8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That makes more sense, I just remember them saying it was spice that made interstellar travel possible. As a means of currency, something that everybody wants, is a lot more feasible.

Also, I do believe that they use manmade wormholes for their interstellar travel. 

EDIT - But it could be the spice that makes these possible as well.

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Im fairly certain you are both wrong. Spice is like the stone DR Strange has in the sense it allows you to fold time and space itself. Its mystic/magical. 

It also makes people super smart and able to live incredibly long. 

It's possible. I haven't gotten a chance to read the source material. I'm basing it on my interpretation of it so far. Plus, I just assumed that they used manmade wormholes (those big *** things the ships come out of outside the planet) as a way of travel. Would make sense that it's the spice that makes the wormholes by bending time/space though. 

Just going by how I interpreted the movie, itself. Since that's what Duke is implying is his issue...that the movie itself doesn't answer these questions.

26 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's possible. I haven't gotten a chance to read the source material. I'm basing it on my interpretation of it so far. Plus, I just assumed that they used manmade wormholes (those big *** things the ships come out of outside the planet) as a way of travel. Would make sense that it's the spice that makes the wormholes by bending time/space though. 

Just going by how I interpreted the movie, itself. Since that's what Duke is implying is his issue...that the movie itself doesn't answer these questions.

Spice allows the pilots to travel through the space worms holes. They have to digest spice to have the physical capabilities to travel through hyperspace.

Again, my memory is a bit foggy, but spice is more like magic than anything else. The worms that make it are also kind of mini-gods IIRC. Paul eventually turns into a mesh of Luke Skywalker and Jesus. 

Edited by Matts4313

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Spice allows the pilots to travel through the space worms. They have to digest spice to have the physical capabilities to travel through hyperspace.

Again, my memory is a bit foggy, but spice is more like magic than anything else. The worms that make it are also kind of mini-gods IIRC. Paul eventually turns into a mesh of Luke Skywalker and Jesus. 

I do wonder if they aren't going to go that route for the films though. Rather just explain it as an element that bends space & time rather than...well...that.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I do wonder if they aren't going to go that route for the films though. Rather just explain it as an element that bends space & time rather than...well...that.

The fact that they spent the whole first movie calling him a messiah and showing an entire planet of people view him as Jesus Skywalker, I am going to assume they are sticking with the source. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Spice allows the pilots to travel through the space worms. They have to digest spice to have the physical capabilities to travel through hyperspace.

I definitely picked up on the Fremen worshipping the worms and whatever name they had for them.

Without reading back in this thread, I wonder if people realize that Dune is the source material for Star Wars. 

Paul is Luke

Duncan is Obi

Barron Harkonan is the source for Jabba (and maybe the Emporer)

The worms are the same.

Dune is Tatooine

Spice is the force

Freeman play the Jedi role, though I guess you could make a case for the Bene Gesserit.

George Lucas based his entire series on this 

Edited by Matts4313

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The fact that they spent the whole first movie calling him a messiah and showing an entire planet of people view him as Jesus Skywalker, I am going to assume they are sticking with the source. 

I'm not talking about the messiah thing, I'm talking about the space travel. I think they're either not going to explain how it happens or, if they do, they'll explain it away as spice having the ability to bend space and time. I don't think they are going to say it happens by pilots ingesting spice and traveling through worms. You can stay true to the source material but still explain things another way.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm not talking about the messiah thing, I'm talking about the space travel. I think they're either not going to explain how it happens or, if they do, they'll explain it away as spice having the ability to bend space and time. I don't think they are going to say it happens by pilots ingesting spice and traveling through worms. You can stay true to the source material but still explain things another way.

You are right in that they probably wont explain it. IIRC technology and advancements are relegated to ancillary plot lines in the book as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

You are right in that they probably wont explain it. IIRC technology and advancements are relegated to ancillary plot lines in the book as well. 

Yeah, I'm going to read the book soon. I read fairly quickly so I should be able to plow through it with relative ease. My issue is getting the drive to read but, when I do, I read like 5 books in a week.