Dune, (Villeneuve version)

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I'm going to read the book soon. I read fairly quickly so I should be able to plow through it with relative ease. My issue is getting the drive to read but, when I do, I read like 5 books in a week.

cliffsnote it as you go along for the rest of us. Its been ages since I was into dune. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

cliffsnote it as you go along for the rest of us. Its been ages since I was into dune. 

I'll probably read it in one sitting tbqh so that's probably not an option. I'm a binge reader, much like I am a binge watcher, so I put every minute towards the book until it's done. I only do this with fiction books though, which is funny. Non-fiction stuff, I can read a chapter at a time but fiction I NEED to know what happens. 

To give you an idea of how I read, I finished the last 800 pages of IT in a sitting. I had been audiobooking it but that took too damn long.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'll probably read it in one sitting tbqh so that's probably not an option. I'm a binge reader, much like I am a binge watcher, so I put every minute towards the book until it's done. I only do this with fiction books though, which is funny. Non-fiction stuff, I can read a chapter at a time but fiction I NEED to know what happens. 

To give you an idea of how I read, I finished the last 800 pages of IT in a sitting. I had been audiobooking it but that took too damn long.

My mom is that way. She essentially refused to buy books because she would go through them in a couple hours and then move on to the next one. Was at the library a lot in my youth. I was over here like "I think Ill read the same goosebumps for the 14th time, yeah, that will work!". 

Maybe you can confirm for me after reading - the pain-box is another "mystic/technology" apparition that is not explained (like time/space travel). I had a friend ask me about it and my mind went completely blank. My only response was "I dunno how it works and I dont think we are supposed to know". 

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm the same way, I remember back when the first Harry Potter movie came out, I got through the first 4 books (all that were out at the time) in 3 days.  I don't have time to read like that anymore. I enjoyed the movie enough to go try the books (which are vastly superior for the most part, except maybe PoA).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Maybe you can confirm for me after reading - the pain-box is another "mystic/technology" apparition that is not explained (like time/space travel). I had a friend ask me about it and my mind went completely blank. My only response was "I dunno how it works and I dont think we are supposed to know". 

I'll keep it in mind. I'll try to take notes as I go if I find stuff interesting but odds are I won't lol

I've had issues, in the past, remembering intricate details because I read to know how it ends more than the story building. I'll try to do better this time. I mean, I forgot to track a book that I was reading (I keep logs of which books, in series, that I've finished) and I read 200+ pages before I realized I had already read it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm the same way, I remember back when the first Harry Potter movie came out, I got through the first 4 books (all that were out at the time) in 3 days.  I don't have time to read like that anymore. I enjoyed the movie enough to go try the books (which are vastly superior for the most part, except maybe PoA).

Yep, I read the entire series, in the summer of 2008, in 10 days and that's only because I partied all weekend. So, in reality, I read all 7 books in 8 days.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I'll keep it in mind. I'll try to take notes as I go if I find stuff interesting but odds are I won't lol

I've had issues, in the past, remembering intricate details because I read to know how it ends more than the story building. I'll try to do better this time. I mean, I forgot to track a book that I was reading (I keep logs of which books, in series, that I've finished) and I read 200+ pages before I realized I had already read it.  

Dune is sort of a hard read to start because it just jumps in with weird terminology and assumed lore without any explanation. The first 100 pages or so don't make a ton of sense or are hard to follow until you figure out what is going on and who everyone is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The box is never explained in the book either (it just isnt really important).

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Wow I don’t think I’ve read more than 200 pages in a day. When I read a book it normally takes me about 4-5 days, I have this weird habit of only trying to read 100 pages a day.

I'm sorry, but I just need to re-iterate the David Lynch version of Dune is easily the worst movie I have ever seen. Both in terms of just technical film-making, and trying to adapt a book to a movie. Literal 0/10 and the worst $0.99 I have ever spent. Shame on everyone involved.