2017 Houston Texans Rookies

mse326

It's a yearly thing we all like to know how are rookies are doing. Which UDFA is blowing it up? Which top pick is having trouble adjusting? Even those that aren't necessarily as hardcore as us want to know. This is the same for fans of other teams. So let's talk about how they are doing here.

If there is a big news story that should be put in it's own thread, however. This is for more general rookie talk that doesn't really merit it's own thread.

2017 Houston Texans Draft

Round 1, Pick 12 (No. 12 overall, via trade with Cleveland Browns): Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson: 

Round 2, Pick 25 (No. 57): Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt:

Round 3, Pick 25 (No. 89): D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas

Round 4, Pick 24 (No. 130) Julién Davenport, OT, Bucknell

Round 4, Pick 36 (No. 142) Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Round 5, Pick 25 (No. 169) Treston Decoud, S, Oregon State

Round 7, Pick 25 (No. 243) Kyle Fuller, C, Baylor

Some Key UDFA

OLB, Dylan Cole, Missouri State

OLB, Joe Mathis, Washington

RB, Dare Ogunbowale, Wisconsin

On 7/16/2017 at 0:40 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

Looks like one is already off to a very troubling start:

http://www.hookem.com/2017/07/16/former-texas-rb-donta-foreman-arrested-early-sunday/

So, been hearing more on this case - gut reaction to the situation is bad, but here's what I've heard so far:

- Foreman was not in possession of marijuana. A friend/acquaintance of Foreman did have a small amount (less than two ounces) while sitting in Foreman's car.

- Foreman did have a licensed gun properly stored in his vehicle. Texas State law dictates that an individual can carry a weapon in their vehicle without having a CHL. This being said, having marijuana (or any illegal substance) immediately makes having a weapon illegal.

Ergo, the weapons charge is contingent on the marijuana charge. The marijuana charge is based on the actions of the passenger; It could be a "fall guy" situation but we can't say that without a dose of speculation.

All in all - we've seen the team turn a blind eye to a bit of pot (Jaelen Strong last offseason). I'm sure Foreman will get a talking to about the company he keeps, but I don't think he's looking at any formal disciplinary action.

Not surprising but the staff and players are already lavishinging some love on Watson. Mostly his work ethic, his ability to soak in and retain information, and his natural leadership that is simply the way he carries himself rather than a ra-ra guy.

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/19892/the-case-for-uncommon-deshaun-watson-as-the-texans-starting-qb

We got some reports on some rookies in this post

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/31-observations-from-Day-1-of-TexansCamp/c99db135-ff58-41b2-944e-d3ca130e52bb
(Hat tip to @texans_uk for finding this and posting in the Traing Camp thread)

As texans_uk mentioned in the Training Camp thread, Julien Davenport got some glowing reports which is really great to hear and badly needed for this Oline.

Zach Cunningham looks exactly like what was projected. Has all the tools but needs to learn to control them a bit more. Still love him as player and think he'll put it together and be a huge part of this defense.

There's some other reports in there are on some rookie WR's and Safeties as well.

Surprisingly a bit light on the Watson information really only lumping him in with the rest of the QBs as struggling on the deep ball.

Seems like Rick Smith has an eye for UDFAs, so let's see who has stood out at TC the last few days:

- LB Dylan Cole has really made an impression with his speed. He's very raw and is learning the scheme, so he finds himself out of position once in a while, but he plays very fast. Some think he might push for ST time down the line.

- DeAndrew White spent last season on the New England PS and was cut right after OTAs. He signed with Marcus Gilchrist, and caught seven passes yesterday against the first team defense (DC Mike Vrabel went off of the DBs, yelling "this guy caught three passes ALL YEAR last season and he has seven TODAY!?") Probably a last day cut given the depth at the position, but interesting to see him pick up the offense so quickly.

- Sticking with WRs, Riley McCarron is drawing comparisons to WR coach Wes Welker. He's a speed demon out of the slot, and can vanish in short area. We've all heard this story before (Travis Labhardt, Josh Linz) so pretty sure he's a PS designation at best.

Anyone else?

@EliteTexan80 

This is the 2nd time I've had to adjust your decision on whether to start a thread or post in an existing thread. Please do better or I will be forced to fine you 2 cases of Panda Milk. After that if this behavior continues I make no promises of the hell I'll unleash upon your gold pants.

25 minutes ago, mse326 said:

@EliteTexan80 

This is the 2nd time I've had to adjust your decision on whether to start a thread or post in an existing thread. Please do better or I will be forced to fine you 2 cases of Panda Milk. After that if this behavior continues I make no promises of the hell I'll unleash upon your gold pants.

Not the Panda Milk. We can pawn the Gold Pants, but for the love of Clowney, NOT the Panda Milk.

Archived