Report: Bucs to sign CB EJ Gaines

bucsfan333

Solid. Reminds me of the Vernon pick up years ago when we thought we had a zone CB who could do a little both. If Gaines can play a lil man and zone he’s perfect. ATV was a zone CB and couldn’t play man coverage to save his life. Gaines is a better player I think and worth this decent contract. Won’t break the bank but gives us some flexibility. This is #2CB money I still expect Tampa to get Grimes back. 

EJ is a decent player when he is healthy which is rare. He was the worst starter we had in our secondary. Not a knock against him but rather than the rest of our secondary is awesome. Gaines is much better in a zone scheme than a press scheme. It's really hard to talk about him as we only had him a year and he wasn't even healthy for the entire season. We signed Vontae Davis because we thought he would be over paid which it seems he will. A guy like him should be in the 5-6 million dollar range. Guy is good when on field. But he is so injury prone. Rams fans told us the same thing. I kinda shrugged it off as to fans just being over dramatic of an injury but he does seem to get hurt every other week he plays. @marshawn lynch

He's absolutely fantastic when he was healthy. I wish he wasn't so injury-prone, otherwise I'd be fine to pay him that.
When he was on the field, he made our defense a hell of a lot better.  @NickChowaniec

Asked 2 bills fans from the forums and they had this to say. 1st thank you Marshawn and Nick

2nd. It seems like he a good player when healthy. That's his biggest question mark though, is whenever he is healthy.

Gaines if healthy is a quality starting CB. Being that he just turned 26, we could be adding a quality starter for the next 5+ years. But his lack of size and injury history makes him a big time risk. He's also a zone guy which would make him an odd replacement for Grimes.

Archived