Browns trade for Tyrod Taylor

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Wont knock the Browns for trading for Tyrod.    They needed a stop gap vet that a rookie could learn behind.

WILL knock them for how much they gave up.   Did they think that none of the free agent QBs would be willing to sign with them? 

Definitely not beyond the realm of possibility

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

mmmmkay. Tyrod Taylor is terrible..got it. In the past 3 seasons he has accounted for 66 TDs and 18 turnovers. Yea hes awful, sure. 

And his team let him go and was willing to let him go for nothing until your team showed up....... And his team who was in the playoff race took a chance on Peterman over him because they didn't believe in him..... yeah he's real good. 

When you mindlessly look at stats to make yourself feel better, Tyrod is good. In reality... this is who Tyrod Taylor really is

Now newsflash, your team is going to put Tyrod in A LOT more of those situations trailing in the fourth than the Bills who have been much more competent have been. 

There's a much better argument that the Bills made the playoffs in spite of their QB play than the other way around. 

Your team wasted a draft pick. Everyone knows this. If he was as good as you are trying to sell him as, the Bills wouldn't have benched him and tried to get rid of him.

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Yes. It's better to cut the cord, rather than be stuck in mediocrity with a QB that is going to help you get to a 6-10 or 7-9 record, then you are out of reach of drafting high to get first dibs on a replacement. It's actually worse than having a bad quarterback, because then you're fooled into thinking that this guy is close to making a big leap. Then it never happens. And it's another year wasted. Continuing to have someone like Tyrod start is just dragging out the eventual outcome of getting rid of someone that won't take you anywhere. Tyrod isn't good, not even decent. He's been there three years, and hasn't improved himself. The Bills needed to move on. 

Completely agreed.

Never got the logic behind sticking with a QB that MIGHT be able to get you 10 wins and a playoff appearance, but usually only 6-9 wins.   At least with a bad QB, you have a better chance at getting a high pick and you know that QB isnt the answer.      Hell, give a late round rookie a chance over the mediocre guy....at least you might find you have something in that late round guy.

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Definitely not beyond the realm of possibility

McCown, Bradford, Bridgewater, McCarron & Keenum....plus Taylor.   In a draft where 5 rookies are going Rd1 (albeit if they go to MIA/NYG, there are guys there already).   We'll never know, but I'd be comfortable thinking one of those guys would take CLE's money.   Again, if it's more than a placeholder...I get it.  But for 1 year....I'm starting to get an appreciation for the trauma-filled mindset CLE fans must have if they think no one would sign with them offering 15M+.  

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

And his team let him go and was willing to let him go for nothing until your team showed up....... And his team who was in the playoff race took a chance on Peterman over him because they didn't believe in him..... yeah he's real good. 

When you mindlessly look at stats to make yourself feel better, Tyrod is good. In reality... this is who Tyrod Taylor really is

Now newsflash, your team is going to put Tyrod in A LOT more of those situations trailing in the fourth than the Bills who have been much more competent have been. 

There's a much better argument that the Bills made the playoffs in spite of their QB play than the other way around. 

Your team wasted a draft pick. Everyone knows this. If he was as good as you are trying to sell him as, the Bills wouldn't have benched him and tried to get rid of him.

And again, your missing the point. You are acting like the Browns brought in Tyrod to be the QB of the Future. He is a bridge QB to play for one season to stabilize the position until their #1 pick is ready. I honestly dont know what to tell you if you cant understand that. You are operating off of the idea that the Browns just traded for Tyrod Taylor to come in and take them on a playoff run and save the whole franchise. Which they didnt. 

You are arguing that Tyrod is a franchise caliber QB that the Browns are going to play for the next 5 years. I am saying that he is a 1 year band-aid until their #1 pick is ready.

I dont care what his stats are in the clutch. He has 66 TDs and 18 INTs in 3 years. That is far better than anything the Browns have had since Bernie

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Yes. It's better to cut the cord, rather than be stuck in mediocrity with a QB that is going to help you get to a 6-10 or 7-9 record, then you are out of reach of drafting high to get first dibs on a replacement. It's actually worse than having a bad quarterback, because then you're fooled into thinking that this guy is close to making a big leap. Then it never happens. And it's another year wasted. Continuing to have someone like Tyrod start is just dragging out the eventual outcome of getting rid of someone that won't take you anywhere. Tyrod isn't good, not even decent. He's been there three years, and hasn't improved himself. The Bills needed to move on. 

I don't know why this is such a hard concept for people. So many teams are stuck QB purgatory precisely because they are afraid the mediocre guy they have might be better than the next guy who could be worse. It's how teams like the Jets get stuck with Sanchez and Smith for a few years. It's how a team get stuck with Fitzpatrick because he shows a little and you are afraid of giving that up and getting a worse draw. 

The Bills could have Tyrod for 10 more years and for 10 more years their ceiling will be what they did this year and their floor will be 5-11. 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

I don't know why this is such a hard concept for people. So many teams are stuck QB purgatory precisely because they are afraid the mediocre guy they have might be better than the next guy who could be worse. It's how teams like the Jets get stuck with Sanchez and Smith for a few years. It's how a team get stuck with Fitzpatrick because he shows a little and you are afraid of giving that up and getting a worse draw. 

The Bills could have Tyrod for 10 more years and for 10 more years their ceiling will be what they did this year and their floor will be 5-11. 

HE IS A BRIDGE QB FOR ONE SEASON WHAT IS SO COMPLICATED TO UNDERSTSAND

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He has a $10 million cap hit in 2018. The browns must have felt that was a better deal than what the FA QBs are about to get paid.

He actually has a 16M cap hit - there's a 6M roster bonus which CLE took on, which kicks in on Day 3 of the new year...after next week.    So it gets really iffy to say he's going to be a better $ deal than the FA class.  Keenum, probably.   Others?  Not so fast.  And again, the difference is none of those guys...costs the 65 pick.

TBF i'd rather have Tyrod over most of the FA QBs except Keenum and Bridgewater. He seems like the most reliable, if not consistently average, of them all, which is something I'd value if i was them

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

And again, your missing the point. You are acting like the Browns brought in Tyrod to be the QB of the Future. He is a bridge QB to play for one season to stabilize the position until their #1 pick is ready. I honestly dont know what to tell you if you cant understand that. You are operating off of the idea that the Browns just traded for Tyrod Taylor to come in and take them on a playoff run and save the whole franchise. Which they didnt. 

You are arguing that Tyrod is a franchise caliber QB that the Browns are going to play for the next 5 years. I am saying that he is a 1 year band-aid until their #1 pick is ready.

So you think a bridge QB is worth what you gave up after years of your franchise and fans telling us how savvy your team was for amassing all these picks and cap space? You really are going to essentially a burn a pick on a QB who can't lead you absolutely anywhere

The irony is I AM NOT operating on the assumption that the Browns expect anything from Tyrod. If they actually thought that they'd be complete fools, but at least the price they paid would be understandable coming from that mindset. The fact is EVERYONE knows you just picked up Tyrod to have someone on the field for the next season and give off the appearance that you weren't wasting another season while you hoped whoever you drafted got ready. You literally could have paid anybody for two years of that and not have lost anything. Get Fitz for all anyone cares. He'll give you two exciting games a year, won't cost a draft pick, and he'll take two years of decent money. It was just a complete waste.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

McCown, Bradford, Bridgewater, McCarron & Keenum....plus Taylor.   In a draft where 5 rookies are going Rd1 (albeit if they go to MIA/NYG, there are guys there already).   We'll never know, but I'd be comfortable thinking one of those guys would take CLE's money.   Again, if it's more than a placeholder...I get it.  But for 1 year....I'm starting to get an appreciation for the trauma-filled mindset CLE fans must have if they think no one would sign with them offering 15M+.  

They'll want more than a 1 year deal and we are clearly committing to drafting a QB at 1 or 4.  When you narrow the FA pool to guys who will take a very short term deal or just not a lot of money to be backup you may run into the issue that the Browns aren't a very ideal spot.  Tyrod is also more reliable than McCown, Bridgewater, Bradford.  And more proven than McCarron.  And he's on precisely the deal we want already.

4 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

They'll want more than a 1 year deal and we are clearly committing to drafting a QB at 1 or 4.  When you narrow the FA pool to guys who will take a very short term deal or just not a lot of money to be backup you may run into the issue that the Browns aren't a very ideal spot.  Tyrod is also more reliable than McCown, Bridgewater, Bradford.  And more proven than McCarron.  And he's on precisely the deal we want already.

Keenum will for sure get multiple years.   I'm not nearly so sure on everyone else.  It's a moot point, but I think you're seeing the divide based on how ppl see the market play out.   You are seeing a lot of multi-year offers out there - I see a game of musical chairs where there will be 2+ vet QB's left standing, who have to take 1-year prove-it deals.  McCown is probably taking a 1-year deal just because of where he's at.   

This is a really unique year - last year, Mike Glennon was seen as the best UFA QB out there.   Now, this offseason there are (or were) 6 guys better than him available.  And Glennon's there, too, lol (no thx).

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

So you think a bridge QB is worth what you gave up after years of your franchise and fans telling us how savvy your team was for amassing all these picks and cap space? You really are going to essentially a burn a pick on a QB who can't lead you absolutely anywhere

The irony is I AM NOT operating on the assumption that the Browns expect anything from Tyrod. If they actually thought that they'd be complete fools, but at least the price they paid would be understandable coming from that mindset. The fact is EVERYONE knows you just picked up Tyrod to have someone on the field for the next season and give off the appearance that you weren't wasting another season while you hoped whoever you drafted got ready. You literally could have paid anybody for two years of that and not have lost anything. Get Fitz for all anyone cares. He'll give you two exciting games a year, won't cost a draft pick, and he'll take two years of decent money. It was just a complete waste.

If Tyrod has a good season what's his trade value? 

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

HE IS A BRIDGE QB FOR ONE SEASON WHAT IS SO COMPLICATED TO UNDERSTSAND

Apparently for you what's hard to understand is the context of what is being discussed. We all know he's a bridge QB. Your team's stupid for paying slightly less than what the Niner's got Garoppolo for FOR A BRIDGE QB. It just proves once again that your team has no clue what they are doing and what they've been doing forever and that all the years of talk about how the Browns were methodically building a team was just lip service because when it came down for it they started handing out picks for guys that other teams are just dropping like a bad habit and they don't even believe in. 

Every single person on this board would have laughed if you guys drafted a QB with that pick after drafting Rosen or Darnold. But that's essentially what you did. Except in this case we know that if Rosen or Darnold fall through, you don't even have a back up with upside and won't have him cheap for more than a year. 

Archived