Browns trade for Tyrod Taylor

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He actually has a 16M cap hit - there's a 6M roster bonus which CLE took on, which kicks in on Day 3 of the new year...after next week.    So it gets really iffy to say he's going to be a better $ deal than the FA class.  Keenum, probably.   Others?  Not so fast.  And again, the difference is none of those guys...costs the 65 pick.

The FA class will also want multi year deals. $16 million guaranteed still probably ends up better in the end if the plan is draft a QB early anyway. I thought Sam Bradford might be a good option but he can never stay healthy. 

We seem to get this same discussion at least 4 or 5 times every year, about Tyrod.

Yes, he sucks when you need a QB to get you out of a tight spot, or losing by 8 or more (not mentioning that's a pretty damming stat, since there aren't THAT many 8 points turnarounds in the NFL), nor is he a guy to throw 40 attempts without a running game.

He IS a QB that with a decent defense and a decent running game will do a good job managing the game.

What does that all mean? He'll never be Brady but he sure as hell isn't a pice of crap, and unless you hit the Jackpot and grab one of the better QBs, he'll do just fine.

The Browns nailed the Randall and Landry trades.

I was pissed at this one. Tyrod Taylor is pretty freaking bad. I wouldn't have signed him off the street, letalone traded a 3rd round draft pick for him. There are like 4-5 QB's I'd rather have signed in FA than Taylor had he been released. I don't mind the idea of trying to bring in a QB to start for a short while whilst breaking in our young rook, but this just seems....pointless.

It's hard to be super upset because overall I think we aced the day with trades, but this particular move annoys me.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The FA class will also want multi year deals. $16 million guaranteed still probably ends up better in the end if the plan is draft a QB early anyway. I thought Sam Bradford might be a good option but he can never stay healthy. 

Again, though, you have to count the rookies who are getting picked early, and the FA's, and the teams that are going to go 1-rookie or vet/rookie.  The math says at least 2 vets from the FA group I listed are likely not getting multi-year deals.   Cousins (duh) and Keenum I'm confident are locks.   McCarron should with his age, but who knows (I really thought Hue was going there, FWIW).    Bridgewater, Bradford, McCown?  Not so fast.  

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Apparently for you what's hard to understand is the context of what is being discussed. We all know he's a bridge QB. Your team's stupid for paying slightly less than what the Niner's got Garoppolo for FOR A BRIDGE QB. It just proves once again that your team has no clue what they are doing and what they've been doing forever and that all the years of talk about how the Browns were methodically building a team was just lip service because when it came down for it they started handing out picks for guys that other teams are just dropping like a bad habit and they don't even believe in. 

Every single person on this board would have laughed if you guys drafted a QB with that pick after drafting Rosen or Darnold. But that's essentially what you did. Except in this case we know that if Rosen or Darnold fall through, you don't even have a back up with upside and won't have him cheap for more than a year. 

The Patriots did not trade Jimmy G at his actual value.  They traded him for less than his value to land him somewhere ideal and out of the conference.  The Browns offered more than the 49ers for Jimmy.

18 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Completely agreed.

Never got the logic behind sticking with a QB that MIGHT be able to get you 10 wins and a playoff appearance, but usually only 6-9 wins.   At least with a bad QB, you have a better chance at getting a high pick and you know that QB isnt the answer.      Hell, give a late round rookie a chance over the mediocre guy....at least you might find you have something in that late round guy.

How many late round rookies are starting in the NFL as QBs?

That makes absolutely no sense.

The more I think about this the more I like it for the Browns. They weren't going to be able to sign a QB to a 1 year deal and more than likely it would have been tough for them to land one of the FA QB's because of their reputation. They had the pick to burn and the money too. I think they got themselves a competent starter on a reasonable deal and if Tyrod plays well they could easily recoup that 3rd round pick. I mean, everyone thought Foles was garbage after he left Philly so stranger things have happened.

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

The Patriots did not trade Jimmy G at his actual value.  They traded him for less than his value to land him somewhere ideal and out of the conference.  The Browns offered more than the 49ers for Jimmy.

While I give the Browns grief for the price paid today for Taylor, this is very true.   NE chose to send JimmyG to SF.  CLE wasn't even called at the deadline IIRC.

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Less than what the Browns got him for. Especially since whatever team MIGHT trade for him will likely be looking at a contract extension first. 

Not a chance. If he has a good season they will easily net a 3rd rounder for him. Easily.

2 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Actually no.... they traded him for what they did because the trade deadline was about to pass, they decided on Brady, and anybody they'd deal with would know the Patriots had next to know leverage if they were willing to deal Jimmy G that late. The trading him below value is just a silly thing guys like Cowherd scream because they have no understanding of the trade deadline and how he was about to leave for nothing because they wouldn't be able to franchise him, keep Brady (who they decided on) and have a functional team.

The Browns allegedly offered more for Jimmy in the off season when the Patriots were telling everyone, including the Niner's that he wasn't for sale. The day the trade happened.... the Browns didn't even know about it because their front office went home early.

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Glennon is going to get cut. Why not just sign him? Or someone else as a backup? Chase Daniel? Why are you giving away a high third for Taylor for a backup role? That's weird. 

Glennon is absolutely horrible. Tyrod may not be great but he is miles better than Glennon.

36 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Most of the Browns QB issues have been a result of them getting thrown into the fire on trash teams. Taylor’s not the type of QB who will thrive in those situations. He’ll likely as bad as most other Browns QB’s because he’ll be asked to do more to have a chance at winning. 

True, but this team has some very legitimate weapons now.

QB: ????

RB: Saquon Barkley? (A+)____Duke Johnson (A- backup)

WR: Josh Gordon (A-)____Corey Coleman (C+)____Jarvis Landry (A)

TE: David Njoku (B)____Seth DeValve (B backup)

LT: Joe Thomas (A+)

LG: Joel Bitonio (A)

C: JC Tretter (B-)

RG: Kevin Zeitler (B+)

RT: Corey Coleman/Draft pick (C+)

We are expected to focus heavily on offense. I'd imagine we're going to bring in a new starting RB in either the 1st or 2nd round, sign another #4 WR (Terrelle Pryor or draft one in R2-4), and continue to build up the OT spot for when Joe Thomas leaves.

If we get competent QB play, this offense is going to be very good. I just don't see competent QB when I watch Tyrod Taylor play the game. He's a Brian Hoyer level passer with great athleticism. Not worth a 3rd round pick. Whatever QB we draft at #1/#4 is going to immediately be better than Tyrod, but we likely won't admit this until halfway through the season. I just think the idea of a bridge QB is pointless if your bridge QB is below average.

Archived