Browns trade for Tyrod Taylor

49erurtaza

Tyrod is meh. Competent bridge quarterback, that's fine. I don't know that I would have given up pick 65 for him though...tha'ts a little crazy. If you're going to do this for the sole purpose of having a bridge quarterback, I definitely would have just went the McCarron route. At least then you keep the pick. Not like there's going to be a difference in salary either. 

Eh, just a dumb move by Cleveland. You are giving up a second for a QB you don't even want to be starting by 2019. For what? If you draft the right first round QB, we've seen how quickly you can turn things around. Even if they have a ton of draft picks, it's just a pointless exercise.

So, if the trade happens now, to further the discussion on GM Dorsey....

Tyrod Taylor has a 18M cap hit - a 10M base salary, a 6M roster bonus bonus, and a 2M signing bonus.  For BUF, they have 4M+ more in signing bonus left over.   So they save 10M now, if they had cut him, they'd have assumed the same hit.   If they had traded him after the year started on March 16th, they'd have taken a 12M+ cap hit.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Here's the kicker - if this deal happens now, though, CLE takes on the roster bonus AND the salary - 16M instead of 10M.

BUF was strongly rumored to be considering cutting Taylor before March 16 to avoid the 6M roster bonus - so I can't imagine why GM Dorsey would offer to take on the contract before March 16th and take on the 6M salary - and give them a pick with any value.  LET ALONE A 3.1 pick.   

If people aren't seeing the concern on how GM Dorsey spends $ and builds a team, by overpaying for arguably non-elite talent, I don't know what to tell you.  Ex-GM Sashi Brown is the only reason Dorsey has this wealth of picks and $$$ - and he's going nuts on guys who aren't big difference-maker QB's (remember, he offered 2.1 for Alex Smith), and is willing to pay 14M+ AAV for the best slot WR around - but still a slot guy.    Man.

So, those who thought Dorsey was OK with the Landry move as a one-time overpay - think again.   His KC history, Alex Smith, Landry, Tyrod Taylor.  That's not a one-off - it's a pattern.   And not a good one.    Hopefully he can draft well and hit on the picks Sashi Brown gave him - it's hard to argue he's getting even close to good value off this deal.   

Let's be clear - 3.1 for Taylor when you have McCarron, McCown, Bradford, likely Bridgewater, Keenum for FREE is AWFUL.    And if the deal is happening now - they're taking Taylor at 16M.   When the top FA besides Cousins are likely only making a few million more than that.   And THAT is what he gives up the 3.1 for....WTH? 

Archived