Browns trade for Tyrod Taylor

49erurtaza

On 3/10/2018 at 11:23 AM, BigMountainGoat said:

Tyrod is a bad choice for a bridge QB.

Because if you draft Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Allen, then Tyrod makes little sense. Those guys need a complete different offense to him. You either create an offense to suit the rookie, in which case Tyrod will be terrible. Or you create an offense to suit Tyrod in which case the rookie completely suffers.

A bridge QB has to bridge. And that includes the design of the offense.

Tyrod is a niche style QB, he is only a bridge on certain specific styles

Pat Shurmur completely changed the offense when Sam Bradford went down and the much more mobile Case Keenum stepped in.

I don't think what you're talking about is a Quarterback issue. Its a Offensive Coordinator issue, and any competent OC should know how to cater their offense to the players strength.

16 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Pat Shurmur completely changed the offense when Sam Bradford went down and the much more mobile Case Keenum stepped in.

I don't think what you're talking about is a Quarterback issue. Its a Offensive Coordinator issue, and any competent OC should know how to cater their offense to the players strength.

Problem: The Browns don't have Pat Shurmur.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Problem: The Browns don't have Pat Shurmur.

Did you not read the rest of the post?

"I don't think what you're talking about is a Quarterback issue. Its a Offensive Coordinator issue, and any competent OC should know how to cater their offense to the players strength."

An offensive Coordinator must be able to change their offense when circumstances dictate such a change.

On 3/9/2018 at 11:41 PM, LeeEvans said:

He was the first QB in 17 years because he had a team around him. It's why we were able to get to the playoffs despite average at best displays from the QB position. I'm not sure if our wins our losses from this season best describe Tyrod as a QB. He threw for 80 something yards against he Saints on 18 attempts in a blowout loss, that is awful any way you cut it. I don't know how you do that in today's NFL to be quite honest. We also beat the Falcons this season, our kicker made three 50+ yd field goals and won AFC ST player of the week and our defense forced three turnovers and we barely scraped by with a win. The rest of our team had to have their best game of the season to get us a win because our offense was anemic. 

Tyrod has had some good games in his career but a passer with one career 300+ yard game (in OT) is not someone you base the future of your franchise on. Tyrod should always be respected in Buffalo but he's not going to get us anywhere further than a first round playoff appearance and that's on the back of a run game and defense more than his arm. 

Can teams do worse than Tyrod? Absolutely. Can they do better? Yes. Do you need better to make a legitimate playoff challenge? Yes again. 

Why try to put it all on Taylor citing 18 attempts for 80 yards when we all know his receivers were horrible, he did what he could with the guys he had and tried to put it all on his shoulders, thats not who he is. The Browns need Taylor to do the basic things and not turn the ball over and provide leadership and stability at the position, basically be a point guard, mission accomplished 

53 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Did you not read the rest of the post?

"I don't think what you're talking about is a Quarterback issue. Its a Offensive Coordinator issue, and any competent OC should know how to cater their offense to the players strength."

An offensive Coordinator must be able to change their offense when circumstances dictate such a change.

I read it. The problem is, not every offensive coordinator can do this effectively. Pat Shurmur did a fantastic job last season; many have failed to do just that.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I read it. The problem is, not every offensive coordinator can do this effectively. Pat Shurmur did a fantastic job last season; many have failed to do just that.

Certainly. One way or another, we can't assume that a new coordinator will cater their offense to the players strength, or will not.

So to say that Cleveland can't do well/makes little sense because their starter is a mobile, but the rookie QB they draft will be more of prototypical passer just doesn't make sense. You have to trust the process.

31 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

when we all know his receivers were horrible,

While I won't argue against this, there were countless times throughout the last 3 years where guys were running open or perfectly spaced between LB's and S and Tyrod would not pull the trigger. It just became beyond frustrating to watch. I think he will do really well in Cleveland for however long he starts but I am so thankful the Bills shipped him out. 

I see this as the Bills front office and staff as saying just making the playoffs is not good enough. They want a game changer at the position.

15 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

While I won't argue against this, there were countless times throughout the last 3 years where guys were running open or perfectly spaced between LB's and S and Tyrod would not pull the trigger. It just became beyond frustrating to watch. I think he will do really well in Cleveland for however long he starts but I am so thankful the Bills shipped him out. 

I see this as the Bills front office and staff as saying just making the playoffs is not good enough. They want a game changer at the position.

Fair point, you have a more intimate perspective than I have. All I can say is that you can take the good with the bad, he didn't turn the ball over and he didn't take shots. Who do you guys think will be the game changer that will take you to the next level (Assuming you don't get Cousins or Keenum)?

14 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Fair point, you have a more intimate perspective than I have. All I can say is that you can take the good with the bad, he didn't turn the ball over and he didn't take shots. Who do you guys think will be the game changer that will take you to the next level (Assuming you don't get Cousins or Keenum)?

You are definitely right. Tyrod won't kill your team with turnovers which is always a huge plus. 

The Bills have been linked to Rosen for a while but I also remember hearing in the fall they were infatuated with Sam Darnold. I wouldn't be surprised if they take Josh Allen assuming they signed McCown or Bradford maybe.

I am also intrigued how quiet things have been on the Baker Mayfield front. He is exactly what Bean described wanting in a QB and I think McDermott would love his passion. If that is their guy, they've done a great job keeping it quiet. 

Archived