Browns trade for Tyrod Taylor

sdrawkcab321

Installing an offense for Tyrod Taylor. The rookie will learn it.

How does that fit?

Baker Mayfield - He’s probably the most similar to Tyrod Taylor in style.

Sam Darnold - He’s a player that can do a lot more but shares the inside/outside pocket style that Tyrod also has.

Josh Rosen - Some of the short/intermediate elements are there but he’s the last guy you’d want to bootleg out.

Josh Allen - Possibly... he can boot out/play action and hurl deep balls, after setting up the defense with run and small ball.

I think it leans towards Mayfield.

20 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Installing an offense for Tyrod Taylor. The rookie will learn it.

How does that fit?

Baker Mayfield - He’s probably the most similar to Tyrod Taylor in style.

Sam Darnold - He’s a player that can do a lot more but shares the inside/outside pocket style that Tyrod also has.

Josh Rosen - Some of the short/intermediate elements are there but he’s the last guy you’d want to bootleg out.

Josh Allen - Possibly... he can boot out/play action and hurl deep balls, after setting up the defense with run and small ball.

I think it leans towards Mayfield.

I think Allen, Darnold and Mayfield are all athletic enough to run 90-95% of the offense that Tyrod does.

I don’t think Tyrod really tips their hand much tbh.  Obviously Rosen is a statue, but if they like him they can work around the different skill sets. The other 3 would require little change imo.

7 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Tyrod is not going to have anything at all to do with us selecting Sam Darnold 

I hope so. I saw Dorsey's press conference and he said he really likes Taylor because "he doesn't turn the ball over and I appreciate that a lot."

I would like to think that Dorsey is intelligent enough to understand that not all college box scores are made equally. And that it isn't as easy as looking at Mayfield's low INT number and translating it over. That would be stupidity on an epic scale.

I don’t think following a Tyrod Taylor-style offense will at all be a factor in who the Browns are hoping is their franchise QB. He’s likely a 1-year guy. They hope that whomever they draft is a 10+ year QB in Cleveland. Tyrod is a non-factor in who they draft. 

31 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I hope so. I saw Dorsey's press conference and he said he really likes Taylor because "he doesn't turn the ball over and I appreciate that a lot."

I would like to think that Dorsey is intelligent enough to understand that not all college box scores are made equally. And that it isn't as easy as looking at Mayfield's low INT number and translating it over. That would be stupidity on an epic scale.

No it wouldn't. Baker has protected the ball the entire time. He consistently has a great touchdown to turnover ratio. He is the most accurate quarterback in this class. Forget about all this hyperbole that y'all are throwing out about his system and throwing to wide-open guys running free blah blah blah. Anyone can watch the game film and see him make every throw. One can watch some of the cut up films out there where he demonstrates his accuracy. Baker has killer accuracy and has not had fumble issues. Mayfield's yards-per-attempt and completion percentage where the highest in the NCAA. That is a huge deal, as yards-per-attempt generally bring down accuracy. This says he might have had an even higher accuracy percentage if he had gone shorter with his passes like, say, the other quarterback such as Darnold. I question why folks keep throwing out these nonsense narratives that we all can easily verify as not true. If you don't like Mayfield because of antics, then that's fine. But how about not perpetuating false narratives? There is every reason to believe that Baker's low interception and turnover habits will very much so translate to the next level. He has shown nothing but safety with the ball for 3 straight years now. I'm not sure what else you could be looking for. And I really don't understand all this from a big Darnold supporter. It just doesn't make any sense, as Darnold arguably had the biggest red flags of all four top quarterbacks when it comes to turnovers. I would be more focused on trying to convince yourself as to why Darnold will not turn the ball over in a much more difficult league. Rant complete. 

Just now, pnies20 said:

Wonder if we are going to work on signing him to an extension. Would likely be Bree's type deal if he wins 7-9 games: 2 years 50 mil

--too much for my taste. If that's what it would take, I'd let him walk for a comp pick. We all know by now that Tyrod is not worth that kind of money.

3 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Wonder if we are going to work on signing him to an extension. Would likely be Bree's type deal if he wins 7-9 games: 2 years 50 mil.

I won’t rule it out, but the business logic in me thinks he’s one and done here. If you draft a QB #1 overall, he’s going to be playing by year 2. I don’t think they shovel $20 million per year at a backup. If he is very meh this year and becomes a $6 million per year type backup, I can definitely see it.

16 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

He is the most accurate quarterback in this class. Forget about all this hyperbole that y'all are throwing out about his system and throwing to wide-open guys running free blah blah blah. 

I don’t mean to cut your quote like this, so don’t think I’m ignoring or bypassing your rant. I’m not. I read it all and respect your opinions.

It just comes down to the quoted bit above for me. I vehemently disagree with the idea that it’s hyperbole. I believe in the opposite in fact. That it’s not reiterated enough just how easy he had it, game-to-game, and that he’s being made out to be a far more accurate QB than he really is.

I bring it up all the time, I know, but maybe it’s because I don’t seem to get an answer. Can someone you explain his second half vs Georgia? I’ve seen a ton of Mayfield games and that half to me was by far the most representative of what he will see in the NFL. He completed six passes and looked absolutely unable to play from the pocket.

8 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I don’t mean to cut your quote like this, so don’t think I’m ignoring or bypassing your rant. I’m not. I read it all and respect your opinions.

It just comes down to the quoted bit above for me. I vehemently disagree with the idea that it’s hyperbole. I believe in the opposite in fact. That it’s not reiterated enough just how easy he had it, game-to-game, and that he’s being made out to be a far more accurate QB than he really is.

I bring it up all the time, I know, but maybe it’s because I don’t seem to get an answer. Can someone you explain his second half vs Georgia? I’ve seen a ton of Mayfield games and that half to me was by far the most representative of what he will see in the NFL. He completed six passes and looked absolutely unable to play from the pocket.

It's tough to know what goes into any particular moment. We're talking about 1/2 of a game and not a longer period of time. We could look at a superstar quarterback like a Brady or Rodgers having a game where they throw four picks and make an incorrect assessment based on too little data, but if we look at the larger amount of data we get a better idea of what we're seeing. Of course, if the suggestion is that this is what happens when Baker goes up against a real defense, then let's look at it that way and only look at good defenses Baker played against. My understanding overall is that he played pretty well against good defenses. I'm not amazing at digging up little bits of data, but I don't remember hearing or reading otherwise as far as his statistics against the good teams. He was also very sick with the flu before the game and it was suggested that he really was exhausted by the second half with flu symptoms. He did seem a little clunky in the second half from a physical standpoint like something was wrong almost. That said, Mayfield looked great in the first half and again, he made it look easy. I just see so much Russell Wilson in Mayfield. Sure, he's not quite the athlete by any means, but everything else I see in his game I can see translate into the NFL very similarly to Russell Wilson. I see Mayfield as eventually being a top 10 quarterback in the NFL and the best in this class. That said, I do believe there is more than one and possibly as many as three of the top four quarterbacks being franchise guys. I'm not sure if that answer is really what your question is about the second half of the Georgia game, but that's how I look at that situation. It was one half and he didn't exactly meltdown, throw a bunch of picks, put the ball in the ground, play Johnny ball and throw it up for grabs etc. He just didn't look like himself.

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

It's tough to know what goes into any particular moment. We're talking about 1/2 of a game and not a longer period of time. We could look at a superstar quarterback like a Brady or Rodgers having a game where they throw four picks and make an incorrect assessment based on too little data, but if we look at the larger amount of data we get a better idea of what we're seeing. Of course, if the suggestion is that this is what happens when Baker goes up against a real defense, then let's look at it that way and only look at good defenses Baker played against. My understanding overall is that he played pretty well against good defenses. I'm not amazing at digging up little bits of data, but I don't remember hearing or reading otherwise as far as his statistics against the good teams. He was also very sick with the flu before the game and it was suggested that he really was exhausted by the second half with flu symptoms. He did seem a little clunky in the second half from a physical standpoint like something was wrong almost. That said, Mayfield looked great in the first half and again, he made it look easy. I just see so much Russell Wilson in Mayfield. Sure, he's not quite the athlete by any means, but everything else I see in his game I can see translate into the NFL very similarly to Russell Wilson. I see Mayfield as eventually being a top 10 quarterback in the NFL and the best in this class. That said, I do believe there is more than one and possibly as many as three of the top four quarterbacks being franchise guys. I'm not sure if that answer is really what your question is about the second half of the Georgia game, but that's how I look at that situation. It was one half and he didn't exactly meltdown, throw a bunch of picks, put the ball in the ground, play Johnny ball and throw it up for grabs etc. He just didn't look like himself.

Thanks for the reply Nude. I will say this, as much as I’m clearly against it now, if we do take Mayfield (I think we will), I’ll do my best to get over it as fast as I can... and I’ll spend the rest of his Browns career praying he makes me look like a fool.

4 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I vehemently disagree with the idea that it’s hyperbole. I believe in the opposite in fact. That it’s not reiterated enough just how easy he had it, game-to-game, and that he’s being made out to be a far more accurate QB than he really is.

I agree.

I think if you put Mayfield in a lot of different conferences, without the system and with a lesser supporting cast, he would be lucky to be a 65-67% completion QB.

Put him in the NFL and he will be lower.

Archived