Browns trade for Tyrod Taylor

sdrawkcab321

Not a fan of this move. I'm fine with Taylor being our stopgap, but #65 is a bit too steep. I would have been fine giving up a fifth for him.

Ah well. At least the talks of McCarron and Cousins can stop now.

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Not a fan of this move. I'm fine with Taylor being our stopgap, but #65 is a bit too steep. I would have been fine giving up a fifth for him.

Ah well. At least the talks of McCarron and Cousins can stop now.

If the talent evaluators are comfortable with him, then so am I. Three things we automatically get with Taylor, leadership, first downs, ball security.

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If the talent evaluators are comfortable with him, then so am I. Three things we automatically get with Taylor, leadership, first downs, ball security.

He's definitely an upgrade over what we had last season.

I have a feeling Landry is going to have a lot of receptions again this year with Taylor starting.

Just wanted to comment on the trade since I'm a Bills fan. I think the price was too steep but I think Tyrod is a good pickup who gives the Browns lots of time to groom a guy. Tyrod has his flaws but he'll be a big upgrade over Kizer. He's also a hell of professional who does his business and doesn't miss a beat whenever things don't go his way. He's a hard worker and will earn his player's trust very quickly and he'll be welcoming to whatever rookie you draft. 

Tyrod isn't perfect but I think you'll come to appreciate him during his time here. At absolute worst you got the best backup QB in the NFL.

Edit: I also think Hue is a great fit for Tyrod. Tyrod's best year was with Anthony Lynn as coordinator and he really built the offense around his strengths and used his athletic ability to it's maximum potential. Lot's of option, misdirections and some RPOs. I think Hue can do something similar. 

7 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Just wanted to comment on the trade since I'm a Bills fan. I think the price was too steep but I think Tyrod is a good pickup who gives the Browns lots of time to groom a guy. Tyrod has his flaws but he'll be a big upgrade over Kizer. He's also a hell of professional who does his business and doesn't miss a beat whenever things don't go his way. He's a hard worker and will earn his player's trust very quickly and he'll be welcoming to whatever rookie you draft. 

Tyrod isn't perfect but I think you'll come to appreciate him during his time here. At absolute worst you got the best backup QB in the NFL.

Price was fine considering others wanted him too. Had to beat the offers. Grabbing him gives us a ton of time to groom the next guy. I like that certainty. 

1 minute ago, carl_sjunior said:

Price was fine considering others wanted him too. Had to beat the offers. Grabbing him gives us a ton of time to groom the next guy. I like that certainty. 

I don't think the Bills really had a leg to stand on because they couldn't keep him. The Browns are in a position where they can afford to pay the trade cost as well as salary. I agree that he gives the Browns plenty of time to groom the guy they choose in the draft which is a big plus. I wonder if they go for a guy with similar athletic ability to Tyrod.

I think that it's a combination of:

*This isn't exactly a free agent hotspot destination right now, especially for QBs. I mean, what exactly is our pitch? "Hey guy, come right on in and start THIS YEAR ONLY NO MATTER WHAT. We're actually drafting your replacement at #1 overall." Who signs up for that? The Ghost of Ryan Fitzpatrick?

*Tyrod is as good of an option that's out there, and a 3rd round pick is a little steep, but it's a nice 1 year rental. Plus, I think that 3rd round picks CAN be over-valued. I mean, I'd trade almost any 3rd round pick the "New" Browns have ever made for him (Not Ogunjobi/Schobert/Kirksey but pretty much everyone else). Travis Wilson, Travis Prentis, Cody Kessler, Chalie Frye, Colt McCoy, Xavier Cooper, Leon McFaddin, Shaun Lauvao, James Jackson. That's the reality of what we're looking at.

*He's a consummate professional and veteran leader. He's smart, hard working, and you know what you're getting, which is an average amount of TDs, barely any INTs, about 3,200 yards a year, and 400-600 rushing yards. He'll have a TD to turnover ratio of about 4 or 5 to 1, which is pretty solid.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think that it's a combination of:

*This isn't exactly a free agent hotspot destination right now, especially for QBs. I mean, what exactly is our pitch? "Hey guy, come right on in and start THIS YEAR ONLY NO MATTER WHAT. We're actually drafting your replacement at #1 overall." Who signs up for that? The Ghost of Ryan Fitzpatrick?

*Tyrod is as good of an option that's out there, and a 3rd round pick is a little steep, but it's a nice 1 year rental. Plus, I think that 3rd round picks CAN be over-valued. I mean, I'd trade almost any 3rd round pick the "New" Browns have ever made for him (Not Ogunjobi/Schobert/Kirksey but pretty much everyone else). Travis Wilson, Travis Prentis, Cody Kessler, Chalie Frye, Colt McCoy, Xavier Cooper, Leon McFaddin, Shaun Lauvao, James Jackson. That's the reality of what we're looking at.

*He's a consummate professional and veteran leader. He's smart, hard working, and you know what you're getting, which is an average amount of TDs, barely any INTs, about 3,200 yards a year, and 400-600 rushing yards. He'll have a TD to turnover ratio of about 4 or 5 to 1, which is pretty solid.

agreed.  as well as if he walks at end of year we probably get a 3rd comp for him

52 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Edit: I also think Hue is a great fit for Tyrod. Tyrod's best year was with Anthony Lynn as coordinator and he really built the offense around his strengths and used his athletic ability to it's maximum potential. Lot's of option, misdirections and some RPOs. I think Hue can do something similar. 

to bad Hue is garbage and his offense is garbage, hence why Haley was brought in and its going to be his offense

20 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

Oh I didn't know his contract situation only has him signed for 2018. Even better then. 

Perfect Bridge QB IMO. He can come in and be the starter and help change the culture in the locker room. Once he leaves, the Browns can recoup his investment with a comp pick a year later.

ppl saying a 3rd rd pick is too much. He is a competent QB. If he had been our starter the past 2-3years, the Browns are not a laughing stock of a team. Dude is a solid vet, doesnt turn the ball over. I think he could be a better passer here in Cleveland because his receiving weapons are better here than anything in Buffalo. 

I think the Browns could be .500 team next year. I am really interested in what they do in FA now. 

30 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Perfect Bridge QB IMO. He can come in and be the starter and help change the culture in the locker room. Once he leaves, the Browns can recoup his investment with a comp pick a year later.

ppl saying a 3rd rd pick is too much. He is a competent QB. If he had been our starter the past 2-3years, the Browns are not a laughing stock of a team. Dude is a solid vet, doesnt turn the ball over. I think he could be a better passer here in Cleveland because his receiving weapons are better here than anything in Buffalo. 

I think the Browns could be .500 team next year. I am really interested in what they do in FA now. 

I agree with almost everything you said and I hadn't thought of the comp pick portion of it. That definitely helps mitigate the cost. 

I am getting tired of the Tyrod having a lack of weapons comment though. He had Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Marquise Goodwin and Charles Clay as targets and has done nothing with them that makes me think there is much more upside there. 

I think all the moves the Browns made today make them a decent team. Your defense was quite good and Tyrod definitely won't put them in situations that Kizer did. I think Barkley at 1 and Mayfield at four would be an awesome blend of win now and build for the future. 

5 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I agree with almost everything you said and I hadn't thought of the comp pick portion of it. That definitely helps mitigate the cost. 

I am getting tired of the Tyrod having a lack of weapons comment though. He had Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Marquise Goodwin and Charles Clay as targets and has done nothing with them that makes me think there is much more upside there. 

I think all the moves the Browns made today make them a decent team. Your defense was quite good and Tyrod definitely won't put them in situations that Kizer did. I think Barkley at 1 and Mayfield at four would be an awesome blend of win now and build for the future. 

He had decent weapons with Buffalo but if you look at a Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Corey Coleman, and NJoku, I think that is better than what the Bills hand. It all rides on if Gordon can stay clean. I would also say Watkins and Woods needed a better QB to really show something. Maybe some better weapons makes Tyrod slightly better.

Yeah having a better QB and a safety blanket of a WR like Landry is going to make the defense so much better by keeping them off the field and not putting them in horrible situations and actually would give them points to work with. 

Archived