OBJ videotaped smoking weed

Broncofan

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I hate this logic. 

Wide receivers are a luxury they aren't nearly as pivotal to winning games as other positions of other position groups. OBJ could be the best who ever lived, he wouldn't be worth 20 million a year. The Giants can do it, but they'll live to regret it

16 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Wide receivers are a luxury they aren't nearly as pivotal to winning games as other positions of other position groups. OBJ could be the best who ever lived, he wouldn't be worth 20 million a year. The Giants can do it, but they'll live to regret it

If WRs aren't worth that much then why is the market trending that way?

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

Like I said, that logic is stupid. 

49 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Like I said, that logic is stupid. 

Would you like to make the argument against it, or are you just going to say the logic is stupid. WR is a highly overrated position when you talk about paying a preemium for elites. An elite QB will make most average WR's look very good. If you don't have an elite QB, an elite WR won't make him look close to elite. The closest thing to an elite WR on a consistently successful team is Jordy Nelson and his team can still make the playoffs without him.

It's a luxury position, in 4-5 years we'll all be on here talking about how the Giants are stuck with OBJ's stupid contract and how it's a burden on the team and he's not worth it.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Would you like to make the argument against it, or are you just going to say the logic is stupid. WR is a highly overrated position when you talk about paying a preemium for elites. An elite QB will make most average WR's look very good. If you don't have an elite QB, an elite WR won't make him look close to elite. The closest thing to an elite WR on a consistently successful team is Jordy Nelson and his team can still make the playoffs without him.

It's a luxury position, in 4-5 years we'll all be on here talking about how the Giants are stuck with OBJ's stupid contract and how it's a burden on the team and he's not worth it.

I’ll make this brief because that’s all it takes for this logic. Just because a single position is overrated doesn’t mean you don’t pay what the market dictates. End of discussion. 

7 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I’ll make this brief because that’s all it takes for this logic. Just because a single position is overrated doesn’t mean you don’t pay what the market dictates. End of discussion. 

And what if what the market dictates is historically a burden on a team and ends up being a net negative?

On 3/9/2018 at 9:12 PM, Broncofan said:

First point - I don't really care if a player smokes weed by itself - it's a dumb policy, doesn't affect performance - but it's part of the CBA, and as you get 4 violations/missed tests before you get suspended, it matters to your football career.   With the new drug policy from 2015, an arrest or public confirmation of drug use can be counted as a strike.   I'm guessing this will be counted as one.  O.o

Second point - again, if OBJ hasn't tested positive before, this only puts him in the program.  You don't even lose a game cheque (1 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd IIRC).   

Third point - as long as you stay clean for 90 days of tests, you then leave the program.   So this isn't a season-long or permanent thing.

Final point - dude, you have go to start making better life choices about who you hang out with, to avoid getting into situations that can threaten your playing time.   Get a bodyguard, whatever.   SMH.

Awful timing before he wants to get paid as the top WR.

Why would someone tape him doing this and release it? What kind of trifilin *** does something like that? Mind your damn business.

I bet you anything they tried to shake homie down first. And when he wouldn't pay up, they went to TMZ or something. Because TMZ will buy anything.

Anyone know where this was filmed? What state, I mean?

34 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

Why would someone tape him doing this and release it? What kind of trifilin *** does something like that? Mind your damn business.

I bet you anything they tried to shake homie down first. And when he wouldn't pay up, they went to TMZ or something. Because TMZ will buy anything.

Apparently it's on his current Nike-sponsored trip in Europe.  

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

To be fair, it doesn’t matter where that was taped. Poor choices and bad behavior are rooted with the individual, not the location. Jn this case, this is the second incident where OBJ has been caught either on video or in a picture where drugs are involved. 

11 hours ago, lancerman said:

If you have an elite defense you can get away without decent WRs (see post-2006 Bears when they did well, with a WR corps lead by Devin Hester, early Brady-lead Patriots, etc ). We had a decent defense and a hell of a RB duo this year, and our best WR was Kendall Wright. Even with Howard and Cohen we had somewhere around 70 negative rushes and forced a rookie QB into a TON of 3rd and long situations.

We sure as hell felt the loss of Jeffery, and want to invest heavily in WR this offseason. And it isn't like Peyton didn't reap the benefits of Harrison, Wayne, and Clark for years, then D Thomas, J Thomas, and Welker. Brady has had Moss and Welker, Hernandez and Gronk, Cooks, Edleman, and Gronk, etc. Elite players make a big difference, this includes WR too.

If you have an elite QB you have the floor set really high, but with elite WRs the ceiling goes up much higher too. If you can routinely develop WRs then fine, attack defenses by mismatches, but having that one elite prospect and make life a hell of a lot easier on everyone on the offense IMO.

EDIT - by all means though, everything above was more toward the value of WRs, not OBJ directly.

10 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Jags with Allen Robinson: 9-33

Jags without Allen Robinson: 14-11

My man is correct.

I cant find the numbers right now, but since 2014, the Giants average something like 6.5 points more a game with OBJ compared to without. One player is worth about a touchdown every game. Pay the man. 

45 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Jags with Allen Robinson: 9-33

Jags without Allen Robinson: 14-11

My man is correct.

LOL. Right, the addition of all the pieces over the last 2 years had nothing to do with that. To hell with your defense, Fournette, etc. Those losses are more about Robinson.

2012 Bears were 10-6, but went 8-8 in 2013 and 5-11 the next two years. I'm going to pretend that was because they cut Evan Rodriguez before 2013.

10-6 with Evan

13-19 without Evan

4 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Someone would tape him doing this and release it, for a shot at some free money.  Off the back of a mega rich public figure.

The better point is...when a guy is a highly recognizable multimillion dollar superstar athlete, trying to build up a massive "personal brand" and asking to be made the highest paid WR of all time...Why would that someone put themselves in such a potentially compromising situation to be recorded in the first place?

It's just poor judgment.  Don't surround yourself with people you don't trust...and especially don't do stupid crap while you know they might be watching/recording.

Archived