Fuller Question

Fatgerman

Hey guys. Browns fan. Quick question. We are hearing rumblings from our local media that another trade, for a skill position, has been made but cant be announced yet. Theres been speculation that it could be Kyle Fuller and it cant be announced til he signs his transition tag. Have you guys heard any rumors or whispers about Fuller on your end?? 

I appreciate any responces. 

Haven't heard anything of the sort yet. Seems like an odd trade though, we only have 2 nickel CBs and a loser in Cooper, so we need 2 starting CBs if Fuller would be traded.

Also even if the rights were traded, wouldn't the team that owned his rights still have to match whichever offer he agreed to or lose him without compensation? They would own his rights, but it would still be his rights as a transition tagged player. Granted in CLE outbidding you guys would get tough, but we have seen bad contracts get thrown around. Look at how Suh's deal is going for MIA.

5 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Hey guys. Browns fan. Quick question. We are hearing rumblings from our local media that another trade, for a skill position, has been made but cant be announced yet. Theres been speculation that it could be Kyle Fuller and it cant be announced til he signs his transition tag. Have you guys heard any rumors or whispers about Fuller on your end?? 

I dont ever like to be definitive in my speculation, but im going to say no way in hell are the bears trading fuller right now

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I dont ever like to be definitive in my speculation, but im going to say no way in hell are the bears trading fuller right now

Agree. They couldn’t until Fuller signs the transition tag anyway, and I don’t believe he’s done that yet. 

1 minute ago, Blaize4488 said:

This just doesn't make sense from the bears perspective unless they are getting premium draft capital in return. Would leave us in a bad spot at corner 

I would do it for 2(32) or 2(35) plus a day 3 toss in.

Other than that, no thanks.

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I feel like Bears fans are very ill prepared for the team trading guys who aren’t scheme fits despite the fact that the change in coaching staff makes that very possible.

At some point scheme fit and talent have to mesh. Fuller isn't a true press corner like Amukamara was but clearly was the best we had. Defense really doesn't have any noteworthy mismatches. 

Offensively, if that was what you were alluding to, clearly has some that can be moved. I just think for someone like Howard you at minimum run his rookie deal out, he is too good of a runner to let go without substantial compensation. 

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

At some point scheme fit and talent have to mesh. Fuller isn't a true press corner like Amukamara was but clearly was the best we had. Defense really doesn't have any noteworthy mismatches. 

Offensively, if that was what you were alluding to, clearly has some that can be moved. I just think for someone like Howard you at minimum run his rookie deal out, he is too good of a runner to let go without substantial compensation. 

Especially this year with a super deep RB draft and decent FA you would get zero value out of moving Howard.

19 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Also even if the rights were traded, wouldn't the team that owned his rights still have to match whichever offer he agreed to or lose him without compensation? They would own his rights, but it would still be his rights as a transition tagged player. Granted in CLE outbidding you guys would get tough, but we have seen bad contracts get thrown around. Look at how Suh's deal is going for MIA.

He'd have to sign with the Bears--making any bidding war out of the question--then the Bears would trade him to Cleveland. Which would be weird, but certainly possible.

6 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I feel like Bears fans are very ill prepared for the team trading guys who aren’t scheme fits despite the fact that the change in coaching staff makes that very possible.

The defensive staff is the same though...o.O

20 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

I'd guess that it's extremely doubtful the deal is for Fuller. For one thing, Cleveland has so much cap space that they could offer Fuller a poison pill contract right now, which might well scare the Bears away from him. For another, the Bears are sort of desperate at that position at the moment, so any draft pick compensation heading Chicago's way would almost HAVE to be heavily weighted in the Bears favor. And I don't see the Browns doing that. 

45 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

He'd have to sign with the Bears--making any bidding war out of the question--then the Bears would trade him to Cleveland. Which would be weird, but certainly possible.

The defensive staff is the same though...o.O

I'd guess that it's extremely doubtful the deal is for Fuller. For one thing, Cleveland has so much cap space that they could offer Fuller a poison pill contract right now, which might well scare the Bears away from him. For another, the Bears are sort of desperate at that position at the moment, so any draft pick compensation heading Chicago's way would almost HAVE to be heavily weighted in the Bears favor. And I don't see the Browns doing that. 

With the transition tag any team can make an offer. We then have to match it or we lose him without compensation.

Also after the Steve Hutchinson fiasco teams are unable to do poison pill contracts. They can give a massive deal that he does not have considerable value against and completely overpay Fuller, but there is no poison pill contracts that will be approved.

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

In most cases I'd agree but remember this is the same Bears organization that signed off on trading Greg Olson because he was a "poor scheme fit".

High talent should mostly always trump scheme fit.

15 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

im fine with making nearly anymove that makes the team better, but if youre talking about Howard, a) it wasnt even close to being real, b) made no sense whatsoever in terms of adding value to the team.  The rumor was they were trading away a cost controlled top 10 back for an overpriced wr who doesnt fit what the Bears want to do on offense...at all.  Thats just stupid.

Archived