Browns trade Danny Shelton to the Patriots

49erurtaza

I think you guys won this trade. Shelton won't put up great individual stats but he was a big reason why our run defense improved as much as it did last season. Clearly we didn't intend to keep him long-term, so I guess this is better than nothing, but I'm still not a fan of the move as a Browns fan.

A younger, better replacement for Alan Branch. 

Brown was asked to man up the 0/1 a lot without Branch IIRC, wonder if this means that NE won’t be so inclined to keep both him and Shelton since they expire at similar times. Neither are pass rushers but Shelton is the better NT.

On 10/03/2018 at 11:10 PM, Deadpulse said:

I love love love this pickup. Always been really high on Shelton. Heres the compensation:

Patriots acquired DT Danny Shelton and a 2018 fifth-round pick from the Browns in exchange for the Patriots' third-round pick in 2019.

Interesting that the team would be willing to give up a 3rd Round Pick from next year. This speaks to me that the team thinks they'll be getting a 3rd Round Pick back through the compensatory selections. Are both Solder AND Butler gone?

51 minutes ago, Starless said:

I'm surprised that the Browns were willing to get rid of them. Their run defense was their only real strength last season.

He's a poor fit in Gregg Williams' scheme.

On 3/12/2018 at 5:08 PM, Starless said:

I'm surprised that the Browns were willing to get rid of them. Their run defense was their only real strength last season.

I'm surprised this thread got so little attention. This is a huge get for almost peanuts, especially considering we are getting 2 3rd round comps (in all likelihood) next year. 

17 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I'm surprised this thread got so little attention. This is a huge get for almost peanuts, especially considering we are getting 2 3rd round comps (in all likelihood) next year. 

It's not a sexy move, so to speak. But it's needed. Adding Shelton and Hightower coming back should help our run d tremendously. 

Archived