Danny Shelton to New England. Pick swap?

miserablesince96

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

New arse, same ish.  

I bet trading away young talent before their second contract will work well this time smh....

Every time we change regimes....

We replaced smart guys with football people. 

What he’s doing seems to be against philosophies of people that are still in that building, weirdly. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

New arse, same ish.  

I bet trading away young talent before their second contract will work well this time smh....

This is why I shake my head every time someone brings up the age of a potential draftees in here (22 yr old vs 24 yr, etc). Most of the time we don't keep folks past their first contract anyways so is a moot point. 

We need more talent, not less. We don’t have the luxury of getting rid of our better players; we aren’t talented enough for that yet. 

I have a feeling that New England will be a great fit for Shelton. I’m not saying he’s Vince Wilfork, but he will be used similarly and probably be very effective in his role. 

We have plenty of money and did not get value for him. I’d have just paid him and let him be effective in short yard and running downs. 

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

We need more talent, not less. We don’t have the luxury of getting rid of our better players; we aren’t talented enough for that yet. 

I have a feeling that New England will be a great fit for Shelton. I’m not saying he’s Vince Wilfork, but he will be used similarly and probably be very effective in his role. 

We have plenty of money and did not get value for him. I’d have just paid him and let him be effective in short yard and running downs. 

Same or waited till the deadline to do the same thing we just did. 

15 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

They aren't going to pay him what he wants, neither were we. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

New arse, same ish.  

The FO knew they weren't going to pay him when they can get the same production from guys on rookie contracts. Im all for it because I think we was an odd fit for our attacking style defense, we. might be in the running for a stud DT out there too.

4 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Suh is 31 years old and massively over payed for what he does now. Unless it’s a 6th or 7 Idk if I’d be interested. I’m all for competing quickly but I rather have just kept Shelton and let him play Early downs why Brantley came in on 3rd and 4th down. 

Hell, we should get a pick from MIA to take him, ala' HOU last year!

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

New arse, same ish.  

New arse, same ish, would be the idea of taking Shelton and trying to force him to play the UT position. The UT position is not based around controlling gaps and eating double teams. A great UT is a guy who can dominate his one gap and split double teams.

Another perfect example of this concept between a NT and a UT, look at Ngata. Dude was a monster playing the NT position for the Ravens. He is one of the best 2gap defensive linemen we have ever seen. plays in the 4/3 as the UT for the Lions, he hasnt been anywhere near the impact they hoped for. They thought he could fills Suh's shoes but couldnt.

2 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

That's exactly where I'm at. I'm not broken up to see Shelton go, but it would have taken more for me to move him.

but why spend a year on him, where the eventual break up was eventually going to happen. He didnt fit the scheme and their were rumblings that Shelton even wanted out that he wasnt playing well in the system and could see the other guys behind him were better fit for Williams' scheme.

If the browns denied the 5th year option, shelton walks away, and the Browns get nothing for him. Making this trade allows them to get compensation right away and it then allows them to use the reps and coaching on their young talent.

Its a few plays, but you rarely ever saw Shelton making plays like this. Williams wants a UT that can disrupt a play, not just eat blocks. Hell shelton was known more for jumping on top of piles instead of creating them for god sake 

Archived