A mock using CBS's rankings - BPA

Magnus-Viktor

Another Mock just going by CBS's rankings, and taking guys where they'd be available. 

CUTS:

Mike Mitchell - he sucks and is way overpaid - 8.14 cap hit, only 1.76 penalty
JJ Wilcox - he sucks and is overpaid - 3.8 mill cap hit, only 675k penalty
William Gay - he's way too slow now - 2.383 cap hit, only 633k penalty
DHB - I wouldn't cut him prior to the draft due to his gunner prowess, but after drafting Chark & Cantrell, & signing Henderson & Berrios in FA, he'd be cut  

SIGNINGS:

DeMarco Murray - gotta have depth behind Bell, and Conner is coming off a knee injury.  Maybe Murray can get/stay healthy and contribute with a lesser workload.  He was good in '16 but dinged up last year.  Should come fairly cheap as a 30 year old coming off a 3.6 YPC season.  

Connor Barwin - 31 years old, but he was a freak athlete in his prime and managed 5 sacks and 12 QB hits last year.  Depth is definitely a problem at OLB, as is starting caliber talent opposite Watt.  

Haloti Ngata - 34 years old, but still a dominant run stuffer.  He shouldn't be too spendy anymore, and a run stuffer would be nice to have for depth at NT.

1 (28).  Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State (27) - or - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming (50) - or Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (29) - ILB is far and away the biggest need and he's by far the best available at this point in the draft. OR you could go with a potential elite franchise QB in Josh Allen so we don't have a decade of trash at QB after Ben retires.  This one is really hard for me to be honest.  Try to win-now with Ben, or try to keep the franchise with a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years?  Tough choice to me, since I'm extremely high on Allen.  A stud CB is always enticing for me too.  If I was to trade Bell and Bryant for a 1 and a 2 respectively, I'd draft all three of these guys with the picks.  

2 (60).  Justin Reid, FS, Stanford (63) - or - Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (57) - or - Lorenzo Carter, LB, Georgia (75) - either go with filling a huge need on defense,  adding a dynamic weapon on O, or adding what could be a stud linebacker.  I went with filling a need on the backend of the defense to replace Mitchell, I just hope he doesn't turn into a disgusting piece of trash like his brother.  

3 (92).  Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio State (103) - TJ Watt 2.0, to start opposite TJ Watt, if he slimmed down to 255 instead of the 270 he tested at the combine.  Great athlete that is smart and I believe could play in space very easily.  I wouldn't even consider anyone else if he's available.  (I wouldn't even hesitate to draft him in 2 if I didn't know he'd be available at 103 in this scenario)

5 (148).  DJ Chark, WR, LSU (182) - or - Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame (158) - or - Trey Quinn, WR, SMU (135) - Chark is a guy that I was already interested in before the combine.  After the combine, it's a slam dunk in 5 (and there's also no chance he'll actually be here).  He's my replacement for Bryant as the vertical threat.  Elite speed at 4.34 and explosive with a 40" vert and 10'9" broad, good length, good hands, but limited route tree and he's really thin at 6'3" 199.  

5 (165).  Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa (167) - or - Roc Thomas, RB, Jacksonville State (169) - or - Jordan Wilkins, RB, Ole Miss (193) - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina (194) - or Simmie Cobbs Jr, WR, Indiana (205) - This one is a bit tougher.  I like Josey Jewell a lot though, and think he's great value here and I think the Steelers need TWO ILBs, not just 1.  Hayden Hurst is going to be 25 this season, and those RBs are tempting but not a need now with Bell still here.  Wilkins does look good, but won't break many tackles.  

7 (220).  Dylan Cantrell, WR, Texas Tech (211) - Brian O'Neill, OT, Pitt (222) - Ade Aruna, OLB/DE, Toledo (221) - or - Luke Falk, QB, Washington (233) - I think Cantrell is going to be an elite value pick if he really lasts this long.  He has elite athleticism in every way except long speed.  His vert, broad, 3-cone, etc, are all off the charts for any size, let alone at 6'3" 226 lbs.  He also has great hands and runs great routes.  Cooper Kupp 2.0, only bigger and much more athletic.  

7 (246).  Avonte Maddox, CB, Pitt (245) - Terrell Edmunds, SS, VT (251) -  I want some depth at nickel corner.  Maddox is the same exact size as Mike Hilton, and plays with a feisty demeanor as well.  He was very sudden in his movements at the combine and tested exceptionally well also.  

UDFA - Quadree Henderson, KR, Pitt (278) - I want a pure return man here so we never have Brown on return duties again, and have someone decent back there instead of the scrubs like Eli Rogers we've seen back there in recent seasons.  He could also be used on end-arounds and as a gadget guy.  

UDFA - Braxton Berrios, KR, Miami (271) - Same thing as with Henderson, and he might be a good shifty slot receiver as well.  

UDFA - Zach Sieler, DE, Ferris State - A division 3 guy to groom for depth behind our 2 stud DEs, one of whom is getting a bit older.  6'6" 290 that dominated in the tape I was able to find.  He looks like a good athlete in the Taven Bryan mold, with good closing speed and power.  

UDFA - Brett Toth, OT, Army - It worked with Villanueva, so may as well try it again, even if you have to wait a couple years.

UDFA - Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado - A small but violent runner that would be a 3rd down back and possible return man.  

Depth Chart:

QB:  Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Joshua Dobbs
RB:  Le'Veon Bell, James Conner, DeMarco Murray, Phillip Lindsay UDFA
WR:  Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster, DJ Chark 5, Martavis Bryant, Dylan Cantrell 7, Quadree Henderson UDFA, Braxton Berrios UDFA
TE:  Vance MacDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble
LT:  Alejandro Villanueva, Jerald Hawkins
LG:  Ramon Foster, BJ Finney
C:  Maurkice Pouncey, BJ Finney
RG:  David DeCastro, Matt Feiler
RT:  Marcus Gilbert, Brett Toth UDFA

DE:  Cameron Heyward, LT Walton, Zach Sieler UDFA
NT:  Javon Hargrave, Haloti Ngata
DE:  Stephon Tuitt, Tyson Alualu
OLB:  Sam Hubbard 3, Connor Barwin, Anthony Chickillo
ILB:  Josey Jewell 5, LJ Fort
ILB:  Leighton Vander Esch 1, Vince Williams
OLB:  TJ Watt, Bud Dupree, Keion Adams
CB:  Joe Haden, Coty Sensabaugh
FS:  Justin Reid 2
SS:  Sean Davis, Robert Golden
CB:  Artie Burns, Brian Allen
Nickel:  Mike Hilton, Cameron Sutton, Avonte Maddox 7

K:  Chris Boswell
P:  Jordan Berry
KR/PR:  Quadree Henderson UDFA, Braxton Berrios UDFA

I would've liked to have taken some depth on the OL, a QB and a TE, along with an outside CB like Isaiah Oliver, but this is how the value fell using these projections, and going win-now instead of drafting a QB in the 1st round.  Overall though, the depth at WR behind unreliable Martavis Bryant was improved drastically, and the LB corp was completely overhauled, along with a cover safety upgrade, so I think this team would be much improved over last year's squad.

If I were to go by their rankings ( which are really bad this year) I would do this.

1.28  Josh Allen QB WY - Because of course he is going to go in the 2nd round and not the top 2 picks.  This is like Dan Marrio falling.

2.60 Lorenzo Carter OLB Ge

3.92 Rashaad Penny RB SDSU

5.148 Saqueum Griffin LB UFC

5.165 Dorance Armstrong KS

7.220 Kevin Toliver Jr CB LSU

2.246 Terrell Edmunds S Va Tech

double dip on pass rushers. CB, Safety, RB to replace Bell and Ben's replacement.

21 minutes ago, mwalker said:

CBS rankings are so far off, it's almost no fun at all to mock with them.

BR Miller rankings (on the Clock mock draft game) and Fanspeak feels closest to reality for me.

Agreed. I've been going by nfldraftscout. They seem pretty accurate IMO and have nice analysis on the prospects. 

http://nfldraftscout.com/player-rankings/

50 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If I were to go by their rankings ( which are really bad this year) I would do this.

1.28  Josh Allen QB WY - Because of course he is going to go in the 2nd round and not the top 2 picks.  This is like Dan Marrio falling.

2.60 Lorenzo Carter OLB Ge

3.92 Rashaad Penny RB SDSU

5.148 Saqueum Griffin LB UFC

5.165 Dorance Armstrong KS

7.220 Kevin Toliver Jr CB LSU

2.246 Terrell Edmunds S Va Tech

double dip on pass rushers. CB, Safety, RB to replace Bell and Ben's replacement.

I gotta admit I'd be ecstatic if we landed Josh Allen.  I've liked Lorenzo Carter for a couple seasons now, so another one I'd really like.  Idk about Penny.  I don't have much interest in Griffin.  Likeable dude, great story, but not my cup of tea.  I just think he looks like a tweener, and that missing hand is going to lead to dropped INTs and missed tackles, along with a lot more trouble disengaging from blockers in the NFL (I watched the Arkansas State 2016 game and he didn't disengage well at all.....he is a good blitzer and fast though, and might be a 3rd down LB type).  Idk Armstrong at all.  Tolliver passes the eyeball test for sure, but I've read a lot of stuff about his football character and off field character both being terrible.  That's why I didn't put him in my mock (I wanted to take a CB big time).  Edmunds I haven't really watched play much.  He passes the eyeball test, but I didn't like what I read about him at all.  Not a bad pick in 7 though for his athleticism and potential upside though.  

I agree their rankings are really bad this year.  But every year some guys goes way sooner and some go way later than you think.  Usually the guys I like and think are going to be steals end up going way earlier than projected on websites.  Rarely does it go the other way.  

32 minutes ago, mwalker said:

CBS rankings are so far off, it's almost no fun at all to mock with them.

BR Miller rankings (on the Clock mock draft game) and Fanspeak feels closest to reality for me.

I agree.  CBS really went downhill this year.  fanspeak seems pretty good.  It's strange.  

10 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Agreed. I've been going by nfldraftscout. They seem pretty accurate IMO and have nice analysis on the prospects. 

http://nfldraftscout.com/player-rankings/

I thought nfldraftscout was down.  I tried to google guys and it says the page not found.  I clicked your link and it's there, but has a completely different look to it.  I'll have to check it out.  

CBS doesn't even have any writeups anymore.  Just stats.  NFL.com is better this year though.  Good writeups, projections for most guys, etc.  

6 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I thought nfldraftscout was down.  I tried to google guys and it says the page not found.  I clicked your link and it's there, but has a completely different look to it.  I'll have to check it out.  

CBS doesn't even have any writeups anymore.  Just stats.  NFL.com is better this year though.  Good writeups, projections for most guys, etc.  

I had the same problem but found that site. I think you're thinking about nfldraftscoutxchange which is pretty good too but not as good IMO.

http://draftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2018&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Just for the heck of it, with NFLDraftscout's rankings and not reaching too much or getting greedy with guys and cheating and taking a guy projected at 49 (Lorenzo Carter) or 46 (Isaiah Oliver) at 60, but I will take a guy at 57 at 60 for example - more leeway in mid-late rounds:

1 (28).  Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio State (31)

2 (60).  Justin Reid, FS, Stanford (57)

3 (92).  Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa (92)

5 (148).  Avonte Maddox, CB, Pitt (137) - or - Ade Aruna, OLB/DE, Tulane (152)

5 (165).  Zach Sieler, DE, Ferris State (205)

7 (220).  Dylan Cantrell, WR, Texas Tech (207) - I see he's going up, as he should be after that combine

7 (246).  Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado 

Brett Toth, OT, Army 

Quadree Henderson, WR/KR, Pitt 

Greg Stroman, CB/KR, VT 

Natrell Jamerson, S, Wisconsin 

Jordan Wilkins, RB, Ole Miss 

Braxton Berrios, WR/KR, Miami

33 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I had the same problem but found that site. I think you're thinking about nfldraftscoutxchange which is pretty good too but not as good IMO.

http://draftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2018&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

No the one I used for years was nfldraftscout.com but recently the pages disappeared.  You can still use the "cached" ones, but if you click on the normal link it's gone.  I see it now says pro football hall of fame presents nfldraftscout.com, so ownership changed apparently.  

16 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

After the combine Reid is a low 1st high 2nd.  He doesn’t stand a chance of making it to our 2nd. 

There's always a chance man.  I'm using those rankings to take comments like that out of the equation.  In other words, it is not where I personally think guys will go.  The guys I like almost always go much higher than where they're projected before the draft.  

If I was looking at where I personally think guys will go, I'd say you'd be lucky to get any of Leighton Vander Esch, Sam Hubbard, Isaiah Oliver, Lorenzo Carter, Josh Allen, DJ Chark at #28 even.  Almost all of them could be gone before then.  But someone has to fall.  If not them, then someone else currently projected higher has to.  It's a #s game.  DeCastro is a good example.  Granted he's a guard, but him falling all the way to #24 was a joke.  But it still happened.  Meanwhile, 27 year old Brandon Weeden went #22.  Harrison Smith went #29 in that same draft.  Arguably the best player in the draft and the best S in the league.  Russell Wilson at #75 in that draft?  Nick Foles at #88?  It happens.  Wilson looked like a star when he was at NC State to me, but I can see his size dropping him.  Foles I thought would be solid as well.  Kirk Cousins at 102?  

Granted, Reid doesn't appear to have anything "wrong" with him that should make him drop, since he technically checks all the boxes for size and athleticism, but you just never know.  Maybe people will be afraid he'll turn into his piece of crap brother with the protests.  I know if I was actually drafting for a team, I might pass on him because of that.  I wouldn't tolerate that garbage.

Archived