Billings a starter?

Johnny Nix

31 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I know I read before that Billings was gonna have the inside track to be the starter next to Geno. However everything I've read so far says Pat Sims has been running with the first team. 

That doesn't shock me. They probably still consider Billings a rookie so you know he will never play...in all reality, this early in camp means nothing to me. I will wait for the 2nd preseason game to start caring about the depth chart. Billings hasnt been able to play enough to show he should be starting IMO 

25 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I actually just saw an article on CJ saying Billings has been looking good with the 1st team. Says he pancakes Boling which is good I guess. (Worries increase on the oline however)

I agree.  Everything I've said says he's running with the 1's.

30 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Either way both Sims and Billings likely both play a lot.  Sims probably still gets 20-25 snaps a game.

If Sims is running with the 1's, it means he's going to make the team.  Which is disappointing to me because he's always underwhelmed me.  And it probably means that 1 of Hardison, Williams or Glasgow won't make the team.  Because i can't see them carrying 6 DT's.  5 at most, with Hardison being the swing DE/DT.

Personally i'd cut Sims.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

If Sims is running with the 1's, it means he's going to make the team.  Which is disappointing to me because he's always underwhelmed me.  And it probably means that 1 of Hardison, Williams or Glasgow won't make the team.  Because i can't see them carrying 6 DT's.  5 at most, with Hardison being the swing DE/DT.

Personally i'd cut Sims.

Me too.  Youth wins out,

Billings will get every opportunity to start. The guy is an NFL starter, who only fell in the draft because of medical concerns. Pat Sims has always been a depth player for years with this team and that probably won't change. To me, there's no guarantee Sims even makes the roster, all the more reason to favor Billings.

1 hour ago, MrCincinnati said:

Billings will get every opportunity to start. The guy is an NFL starter, who only fell in the draft because of medical concerns. Pat Sims has always been a depth player for years with this team and that probably won't change. To me, there's no guarantee Sims even makes the roster, all the more reason to favor Billings.

I think Billings ultimately starts too, I'm just disappointed because if Sims is running with the 1s he's got an inside track to making the team. I don't think he's one of the 5 best DTs. 

52 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Also Will clarke has been seeing most of the action with the 1s with MJ being sidelined 

That doesn't surprise me. I don't think he's great by any means, but he's probably the 2nd best DE on the roster at this point. Pending what we see from Lawson and the other rookie, whose name is slipping my mind. I'm done with Michael Johnson. We'll see if the coaches are. 

22 hours ago, theJ said:

I think Billings ultimately starts too, I'm just disappointed because if Sims is running with the 1s he's got an inside track to making the team. I don't think he's one of the 5 best DTs. 

That's very hard to say. By no means do I think Sims is better than Hardison or Glascow, but he's proven enough to be a 5th DT if they want him around as some insurance depth over someone unproven like Deshawn Williams or Josh Tupoh. That's the beauty of preseason though, who wants it more.

23 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

but he's proven enough to be a 5th DT if they want him around as some insurance depth over someone unproven like Deshawn Williams or Josh Tupoh.

That's fair.  Just don't like cutting young talent that shows promise.  It hurts.

Archived