Would you trade Bell to Browns for #4?

Magnus-Viktor

I wouldnt want to trade him to the Browns, but the 4th overall pick for a 26 year old RB who might not play hard for us this year and we would be very likely to lose next offseason?     Yeah, you cant pass on that.

As stated though, it would never happen,. 

16 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

In a heartbeat. I wouldn’t touch Barkley though.  I dont think any RB is worth a pick that high.   I would actually try and trade back to pick up more draft picks.  

That's what I'm thinking as well, to an extent.  I do think Barkley is special though so I might make an exception for him.  Usually I believe RB isn't even a 1st round position, unless they are elite in every facet as I think Barkley is.  But yes, this isn't really a Barkley question.  It's a trading Bell, in division, for #4 question, and then you decide what you want to do with the picks.  

In a perfect world, you'd trade for #4, then move back within the top 10.  I decided to run Cleveland on one of those simulations just to see what offers I got for #4, and I took the Bucs' offer of 1-7, 2-6 and 3-5 for #4.  At #7, Roquan Smith was gone, but Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Tremaine Edmunds, Vita Vea, Da'Ron Payne and Saquon Barkley were all still there.  SF offered me 1-9, 2-27 and 3-10 for #7, but to make it more realistic I'll just draft at #7.  

#7.  Derwin James, S, Florida State - I went with this simply for 1 reason.  He's a much better athlete than Fitzpatrick, and you can find free safety-only types later like Reid.  Edmunds passes the eyeball test but I didn't see him do much in games.  Only 19 years old though, so maybe huge ceiling.

#28.  Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State - continuing on with the big, long athletes on defense.  Easily the best ILB available at this point.

2-6.  Justin Reid, FS, Stanford - (was going to go with Sam Hubbard here but he's gone)

2-28.  Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado - I don't think Burns is that good and Haden is injury prone.  CB is a need.

3-5.  Best RB available? - Guice, Michel, Chubb and Penny are all available at this point.  I went with Lorenzo Carter, LB, Georgia instead.  If there's a run on RBs, I trade up from 3-28 to get one.  

3-28.  Best RB available.  Guice, Penny, Hines are still available here.  So is Mike Gesicki.  Derrius Guice, RB, LSU is my choice here.  Can't ignore RB any longer.  

*I would trade a '19 4th and both 5s for another late 3rd here and take Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State if he's actually around this late.  

7.  BPA

7.  BPA

I would do something to be sure.  Bell is not in love with Football.  He is in love with himself and money.  If someone pays him a long term deal he will regress.  The Browns have the money to sign him long term.

I'd give them Bell and another pick, our 2nd (?) for their #1 overall.  Get Saguan and be set for 5 years at a cheaper salary.  I'd do our first if pressed and convinced Saquan would not make it to #4.

9 minutes ago, Ghengis Graz said:

I would do something to be sure.  Bell is not in love with Football.  He is in love with himself and money.  If someone pays him a long term deal he will regress.  The Browns have the money to sign him long term.

I'd give them Bell and another pick, our 2nd (?) for their #1 overall.  Get Saguan and be set for 4 years at a cheaper salary.  I'd do our first if pressed and convinced Saquan would not make it to #4.

Honestly I'd give them that second round pick and Bell for that number one overall pick and then I trade back even though it would be giving up saquon Barkley to get more pics probably additional first and a second or something and then draft a future quarterback like Darnold

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I really think to the chances that he is traded at all is slim-to-none I think it's much more likely that he plays his franchise tag year and then walks to free agency and signs with an AFC rival

I agree.  That's why I would trade him now if I was calling the shots.  I absolutely expect him to walk for nothing next year, and go to a team we'd least like to see him with too.  

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Honestly I'd give them that second round pick and Bell for that number one overall pick and then I trade back even though it would be giving up saquon Barkley to get more pics probably additional first and a second or something and then draft a future quarterback like Darnold

Make it Josh Allen and I agree with that move.  

On 2018-03-10 at 2:13 PM, Magnus-Viktor said:

Serious question here.  Since the Browns are eager to make trades for veteran players (Jarvis Landry, Tyrod Taylor, and the CB from the Packers), if you had the chance, would you trade Bell for the 4th pick?  What about the 33rd?  I would do 4, but I wouldn't trade him in-division for #33.  At #4, you could potentially draft Barkley to replace him, or you could get Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Bradley Chubb (if he could play OLB), Roquan Smith, Vita Vea, etc.  You could even trade back a ways and still have a top 10 pick and a 2 and/or 3 on top of it.  

Sure it's not usually the best choice to make, trading a proven stud that's only 25 years old, for a draft pick, but if you can't re-sign him and can't keep tagging him indefinitely (and have him skipping camp and sucking the first 1/4 of the season as a result, and then talking trash in the media about his contract situation during a playoff run), I'd do it.  I also don't want to tie up way too much money in 1 player that is not my franchise QB either.  It would kill the overall talent level on the team by making you cut other guys or let them walk in FA.  The Browns and other scrub teams could make a deal like that.  The good ones can't afford it.  

xD since we don't have the laughing emoticon, this will do. What other teams would do such a thing and be qualified as scrubs?

Simple, if Barkley is there at #4, trade Bell to the Browns. Browns have the cap space to sign Bell longterm, that could be a requirement for the trade. I would like to see the Browns become our division rival, but not sure how well it would sit if we lost in the playoffs to them because of Bell.  Of course, we could blame our D again, but there is a reason why teams usually don't trade within the division. 

If the trade for Taylor solidified them picking Barkley at #1 , they should still try to sign cousins, especially with the cap space they have.   If they traded for Taylor as a result of making sure they will take Barkley #1, then that trade makes sense now. 

As for not being the best choice to trade a top RB, for us it comes down to what have we won and where will we be going. We haven't won anything, and if we sign Bell and can't repair the D, we won't be going anywhere (unless we hit with one of our best D  draft's). Keeping bell is great as long as we can repair the D somehow. I was hoping some UFA but as usual we have no cap space:S

On 2018-03-10 at 4:53 PM, Blitzburgh said:

In a heartbeat. I wouldn’t touch Barkley though.  I dont think any RB is worth a pick that high.   I would actually try and trade back to pick up more draft picks.  

with our OL, a RB drafted high will have a good season and the pick won't be bad. If the colts do that, it's another story though.

On 2018-03-11 at 6:22 PM, Ghengis Graz said:

I'd give them Bell and another pick, our 2nd (?) for their #1 overall.  Get Saguan and be set for 5 years at a cheaper salary.  I'd do our first if pressed and convinced Saquan would not make it to #4.

5 years at about $10M a season less than bell, should help in the long run if we sign players like Haden (not mitchell)  etc. 

If you traded Bell and a 2nd rounder to get a top 5 pick and drafted a QB, you may as well trade Ben too, because its clear you are more concerned about winning AFTER Ben than you are winning WITH him.

Archived