Addition by subtraction?

DoleINGout

I'd like to say we'll miss Matt Patricia on defense, but quite frankly, he was only a slightly better defensive coordinator than Dom Capers or Dean Pees. Aside from 2015 when Darrelle Revis was with the team, I felt like whatever coaching Patricia did resulted in marginal improvements at best. It may have been a case of bad luck with injuries or personnel decison making above him, but I felt like the defense rarely excelled under Patricia. I wouldn't be surprised if I am in the minority thinking this way. I'm not upset there is someone new looking over the defense with Bill Belichick in 2018. Hopefully the a new style of defensive play calling lends itself to a greater level of production in turnovers and intimidates opposing offenses a little more. I'm sure the "bend-but-don't break" philosophy will persist with Belichick heavily involved in play calling. My hope is that the type of personnel the Patriots target for their defense changes ever so slightly, lending itself more favorably to a greater amount of freedom in play calling.

Are there any additions by subtraction you see this season? Could be potential subtractions or subtractions already made. So far, I'd expect some fans to believe the team will improve with Alan Branch and Malcolm Butler gone.

Defense rarely excelled under Patricia? The Patricia wasn't that great of a defensive coordinator narrative is coming straight from the defense laying an egg in the SB and hindsight bias.

Did you see the front seven he was working with this season? They let Sheard and Long walk, back filled those roles with an FCS DE who got hurt and another rookie DL. Alan Branch had arguably been the defenses MVP the previous year; this year he was a shell of himself and did nothing. They lost Rowe for a good portion of the season. 

Do people not realize how big of a loss Hightower was? Arguably the 2nd most valuable Patriots, heart and soul of the defense, leader, etc. There was a reason we were all screaming to bring him back. The trickle down effect when Hightower goes down is significant.

The fact that Patricia coached up that unit and made a SB is impressive, IMO. I'd say putting his name in conversation with Dean Pees is insulting. He was working with very little talent in that front seven. I mean, at one point, career special teamers (Badamosi, Flowers) were starters on his defense.

As for you last point, I think they just acquired their Branch replacement in Shelton. I hope he's up for the challenge, because this defense really missed the 2016 Branch. Butler I'd guess they add a mid-range veteran in FA. J. Jones and C. Jones will also be back.

Archived