Random Raven Remembrances "RRR"

DreamKid

Anquan Boldin’s first game with the Ravens where he had 100 yards against a really good Jets defence. Also included Ray Lewis harvesting Dustin Keller’s soul.

and often forgotten in the mile high miracle game is Torrey Smith absolutely dominating Champ Bailey 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Corey Graham appreciation post 

Classic case of a Vet who elevated his play during a crucial time for us. He and Cary Williams really stepped up during that 2012 run. 

Poor CB play plagued our 2010 contention years, and with Webb going down early in 2012 the situation became worse. Luckily a young Jimmy Smith and Vets like Williams and Graham were able to answer the bell though. 

That championship has so many interesting layers to it. Guys like Ellerbe, Pierce, Ihedigbo, Graham, etc don't have the defining or most memorable plays, but they were so key to the end result. Loved that squad. 

• Like 1

Anyways the most random Raven who will stick with me forever will always be Clarence Moore. Perhaps the guy who started my decade-long infatuation with the WR position and the Ravens. Got me all hyped during the 2nd half of the 2004 season where he looked like the next Plaxico Burress for a hot second, and then was more or less never heard from again. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Anyways the most random Raven who will stick with me forever will always be Clarence Moore. Perhaps the guy who started my decade-long infatuation with the WR position and the Ravens. Got me all hyped during the 2nd half of the 2004 season where he looked like the next Plaxico Burress for a hot second, and then was more or less never heard from again. 

And then I was just as hyped about Demetrius Williams 2-3 years later smh

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I remember coming across a HS scouting report on Haloti that I thought was maybe the coolest evaluation ever, it simply said "Phenom, never been blocked at the High School level". Personally he might be my favorite Raven of all time- and he should 100% be in the HOF. I think he's the greatest football player of Polynesian descent of all time too. He was better at DI than Polamalu was at Safety and Seau was at LB. Madubuike has inherited a lot with the #92 he's wearing and I hope he can live up to it.

• Like 2

The first play in that highlights package doesn't get enough love imo.  Sure he doesn't have to do much to beat his man, but Clowney is still (at least in part) living off the hype of doing the same thing in college, whereas Ngata did that against a good team in the NFL 

Also its ridiculous that the highlights for a guy his size include two INTs where he had dropped into zone coverage 😂

16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Personally he might be my favorite Raven of all time- and he should 100% be in the HOF. I think he's the greatest football player of Polynesian descent of all time too. He was better at DI than Polamalu was at Safety and Seau was at LB. Madubuike has inherited a lot with the #92 he's wearing and I hope he can live up to it.

Bold. I don’t think I agree as Ngata won’t be making the HOF while there are some who think Polamalu was the greatest safety of his era and a GOAT candidate.

Granted health probably factors greatly into why Ngata won’t be in the HOF, but still.

But I agree that Ngata was a beast and one of my favorites of all time. I’d only confidently put Ray Lewis and Justin Tucker above Ngata on my ‘favorite’ list. Beyond that I’m pretty confident Lamar will be ahead of him as it’s probably 3a/3b at this juncture. With Ed Reed rounding out the top 5.

17 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I remember coming across a HS scouting report on Haloti that I thought was maybe the coolest evaluation ever, it simply said "Phenom, never been blocked at the High School level". Personally he might be my favorite Raven of all time- and he should 100% be in the HOF. I think he's the greatest football player of Polynesian descent of all time too. He was better at DI than Polamalu was at Safety and Seau was at LB. Madubuike has inherited a lot with the #92 he's wearing and I hope he can live up to it.

There's a very real argument to be made that from 2009-2011ish, Haloti Ngata was the best player on a defense containing Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Terrell Suggs.

Guy is one of the most dominant Ravens of all time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Bold. I don’t think I agree as Ngata won’t be making the HOF while there are some who think Polamalu was the greatest safety of his era and a GOAT candidate.

Ngata will make the HOF eventually, just as a Vince Wilfork will. It'll just take longer for guys who took on the roles they did vs flashier positions. And the only people who think Troy was the best Safety of his era or the GOAT are delusional Steeler fans. He had a unique look and flashy splash plays, this helped him carve out a lore that he doesn't really deserve. If he had played on a defense with figures like Lewis, Reed, and Suggs as Ngata did, he wouldn't be viewed nearly the same way. 

• Like 1