1st or 2nd round for these 4 prospects?

Suffering_Bills

Well, since it looks like my Bills will have NO shot at Payne or Vea, whom I expect to both be selected in the top 15, we're going to have to look at other options. Same goes for several other teams, too, I'm sure. ;-)

But, anyways, I won't make this a Buffalo-specific thing, here. Just want some feedback on these players. These are maybe like 2nd-tier prospects at their positions, who could get pushed up a little higher in the draft, based on supply and demand. Here are the 4 prospects in question: Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford, Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State, Kolton Miller, OT, U.C.L.A., and Taven Bryan, DT, Florida.

Simply put, which of these guys do you project going somewhere in the 1st, and which do you think will go in the 2nd? Can't see any of them falling to the 3rd.

13 hours ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Well, since it looks like my Bills will have NO shot at Payne or Vea, whom I expect to both be selected in the top 15, we're going to have to look at other options. Same goes for several other teams, too, I'm sure. ;-)

But, anyways, I won't make this a Buffalo-specific thing, here. Just want some feedback on these players. These are maybe like 2nd-tier prospects at their positions, who could get pushed up a little higher in the draft, based on supply and demand. Here are the 4 prospects in question: Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford, Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State, Kolton Miller, OT, U.C.L.A., and Taven Bryan, DT, Florida.

Simply put, which of these guys do you project going somewhere in the 1st, and which do you think will go in the 2nd? Can't see any of them falling to the 3rd.

I think only Bryan has a shot at round 1, somewhere in the 20's, Phillips and Hubbard are solid 2nd rounders and Miller might sneak into round 2, but is more like a 3rd rounder. His height is actually a bit of a disadvantage for him as he has trouble with players who attack him low.

58 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Would it surprise me if the Saints took Hubbard at 27? Nope. The Saints have a strong ring affinitY toward OSU players. 

I think he's a good candidate for a lot of teams.  The Patriots would also be a great fit for him.

Look, going in round 2 is not discounting talent. Many, many solid pros were 2nd and 3rd round picks, but Hubbard has limitations which suggest round 2, it certainly does not mean he will not be a solid starter, just as a prospect, that is where he rates.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Look, going in round 2 is not discounting talent. Many, many solid pros were 2nd and 3rd round picks, but Hubbard has limitations which suggest round 2, it certainly does not mean he will not be a solid starter, just as a prospect, that is where he rates.

Curious what you think his limitations are, since he just put up one of the best 3-cone times ever recorded for his weight. His nimbleness does show on field. He's a late convert to football, and played on a fairly stacked line, but relative to his snap count, he had very solid production. Is it just because he didn't run the 40? Or do you think he's underdeveloped and also has a low ceiling?

On 3/13/2018 at 10:46 AM, Danger said:

The exact opposite of this.

I'm not even sure I'd call Phillips and Bryan 2nd round picks.

What?  Phillips is a beast, 7 sacks from a legit 3/4 NT position, had 3 games with over 10 tackles this year.  Is is strong as an ox, plays with a great motor and is very consistent.  A fine player and for sure a late 1st or early 2nd round pick I feel. No way he falls to the 3rd round with his skills.  And Bryan I would say he is gone by late 2nd round with his pass rush skills from the inside, a team will love that or want him as a potential 3/4 DE as well if not a 4/3 DT.  

People don't seem to understand how freakish of workouts some of these people have and how much the NFL values pure athleticism, specifically at the trench positions, where they seem to have the greatest correlation to success.

Sam Hubbard - Late 1st

• Guy had an elite 3-cone drill, probably one of the best indicators of EDGE success, and did so at 270 lbs. Not getting out of the top 32 picks when he also comes from a D-Line factory

Kolton Miller - Top 20

• Miller had the second greatest workout ever for an offensive tackle only behind Taylor Lewan according to RAS. In a weak OT class as well, Miller is going to be drafted on the first day because he has absolutely elite workout numbers.

Taven Bryan - Late 1st

• His 'flash in the pan' stats and the fact that this class is loaded with front seven talent ahead of Bryan probably keeps him out of the top 20, but his explosiveness was again, elite for the position. 9th best RAS ever for DT.

Harrison Phillips - 2nd-3rd Round

• Phillips was great on the field at Stanford and tested probably better than most anticipated. He is what he is; a squatty, try-hard tackle who doesn't have the size of a traditional NT but plays with that kind of leverage and drive. Generally not the kind of valued really high by NFL teams but his testing was decent enough to keep him with a solid grade.

Phillips is your only chance of the four of falling to the 2nd round. I am really shocked that people still do not understand how much of an emphasis NFL teams put on elite traits. Hubbard, Miller, and Bryan all showed ELITE traits in the most important areas at the Combine. Those kind of numbers are not taken lightly.

Archived