Giants release CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

marky mark

39 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

How would he be in the slot? 

He was terrific in 2016.   I think that's more likely where he gets targeted, on a 1-year guaranteed (no matter how long the deal is negotiated at, the guaranteed $ is what counts, of course).

2 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

How would he be in the slot? 

He can play outside and in the slot. 2016 was his first year doing the latter and he was an all-pro. Last year was a down year for him that, along with his age, will lower his value, but no one on the Giants defense had a good year last year. He could be had for less than he's worth and have a big impact somewhere. Houston seems like a good landing spot. 

Just now, minutemancl said:

He can play outside and in the slot. 2016 was his first year doing the latter and he was an all-pro. Last year was a down year for him that, along with his age, will lower his value, but no one on the Giants defense had a good year last year. He could be had for less than he's worth and have a big impact somewhere. Houston seems like a good landing spot. 

Gotcha. I don’t know if we will bring Colvin back, so we might need a new slot CB.

Not sure what kind of relationship he has/had with Coughlin.

Wouldnt mind giving him a 1 year deal putting him between Bouye and Ramsey.

27 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Damn was kind of hoping the Titans and Giants would do a deal for Eli Apple. The connections were there for Apple but doubt the Giants trade him now.

This is just my opinion based on what I've gathered from reports about the Giants new FO, but I don't think this move means anything, staying or going, for Apple. I haven't heard anything about him being on the trade block or being asked about, but DRC moving on shouldn't effect anything that happens later with Apple. 

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

This is just my opinion based on what I've gathered from reports about the Giants new FO, but I don't think this move means anything, staying or going, for Apple. I haven't heard anything about him being on the trade block or being asked about, but DRC moving on shouldn't effect anything that happens later with Apple. 

Thing is, cutting Apple costs them cap space - 8.9M if they cut him, 4.1M to keep him.   I don't see him being cut.  Traded is always a possibility, which I realize you are referring to...just now.  Carry on. :D

Just now, Broncofan said:

Thing is, cutting Apple costs them cap space - 8.9M if they cut him, 4.1M to keep him.   I don't see him being cut.  Traded, maybe. 

Cutting could be an option, if only because there is language in his contract that voids guaranteed money if his "conduct is detrimental to the team" and results in a suspension. That's exactly what happened last year. So cutting him moves from 0% chance to probably 5%. Trading is much more likely, with the most likely outcome being he stays with the team and starts. Nothing better to clean the slate with than an entirely new coaching staff. 

Archived